Strawberry harvest
« on: June 22, 2013, 18:58 »
As the subject beat the slugs! And the kids! To harvest these bad boys
image.jpg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 19:39 by The Golden Heap »

grinling

Re: Strawberry harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 19:20 »
lovely.. still waiting for mine to redden.

plum crumble

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 19:23 »
they look great, well done :tongue2:.

for the second year running, we have a great crop. Must be all that manure! I think our fruit crops are going to be really good - I can see tons of raspberries, redcurrants, gooseberries, cherries, plums and apples all coming. I have a couple of codling moth traps hanging in the plum tree.

enjoy those lovely strawbs!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 19:41 »
I ave bagged a few over t past few days, never grown them before, first full year on pot, these were misted tip I think these ones Malwina, so tasty and fresh, will have them later tonight in meringue nst nest and a little cream

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 19:53 »
Oh yum, envy  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lottiman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 19:56 »
They look very scrummy, We Picked half a dozen on thursday, pleased to say there were a fair few more today needless to say they were soon scoffed after dinner :D
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 20:42 »
I harvest about 8ozs yesterday from the 'earlies' in the green house.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snow white

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 20:57 »
harvesting strawbs as well.  Not many but daily! 

seaside

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 21:11 »
I'm very disappointed with the fruit setting compared to the profuse flowers I saw a month ago. Roughly 80 plants are now producing few swelling fruits... not sure why ... there were plenty of bees around, but at least the far more preferable raspberries are cooking big time, and am wondering whether to bother next year with the strawberry stock I have procured from runners of last year's rundown plants. The bulk of the runners  were grown on and planted at the end of last Summer.
I have noticed that neighbouring strawberries on other plots are more errect and vibrant, very upright and off the ground fruit, and very much more fruitful than my offering, although they flowered very poorly compared to mine. Mine seem to have been all flower and no fruit. I remember somewhere reading strawberries can be one of two varieties similar to the Summer and Autumn raspberry, and I wonder if I have a "later" variety of stock.
Is there a simple answer out there ? I believe the bed to be reasonably favourable and fed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 21:20 by seaside »

grendel

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 21:35 »
just a few so far, about enough for a mouthful each, though some went into the rhubarb crumble we made for tea yesterday, a few more should be ready tomorrow.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 21:46 »
Thought of you today Grendel,when I was planting out my alpine strawberries that I had dug out & split up,not sure why :lol:

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 22:20 »
A few weeks in of harvesting strawberries and i am still not sick of them!!! Made several more pots of strawberry and mint jam today, some strawberry icecream and for the first time i even had enough wild strawberries made one and a bit pots of wild strawberry jam.

"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 06:20 »
Picked this lot on Wednesday and I imagine there will be loads more today. I couldn't believe the taste as I never eat strawberries as i used to think they were bland. These, on the other hand, were incredibly tasty. They hardly made it through the door before the Mrs and daughter finished them off.

British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Asherweef

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 10:26 »
Perhaps a silly question here - what size crop would you expect from a strawberry plant? I'm afraid that mine are cheat ones from the garden centre  :mad: and I don't know what type they were. I only bought two but I can now see that I'm only going to get a handful of fruits from them.

I also didn't cut off the runners because I've pinned them down into pots of compost in the hope that I can get a few more plants in order to get a larger stock for next year after overwintering. Haven't checked on them in a couple of days so Ive probably got runners running out of my proverbial!

Asherweef

Eblana

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15 »
I picked 3 Kg yesterday off my PT grown Strawberries, made two pots of Jam and had half the rest after tea last night, will have the rest tonight.  The outdoor ones don't look to be near ready to ripen and are tiny by comparison but hopefully they will swell.  I actually didn't expect to get much off the ones in the PT as I had a weevel attack and lost all of the plants, I had to use nematodes and then replant with new plants, as they were first year I thought I would get little or nothing off them.

xx
Strawberry Harvest

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 12:57
by J_B
xx
Disappointing strawberry harvest

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2015, 10:24
by brokenglass
xx
Good strawberry harvest.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2023, 09:45
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et

Page created in 0.531 seconds with 37 queries.