Strawberry harvest

• 68 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry harvest
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 12:00 »
Perhaps a silly question here - what size crop would you expect from a strawberry plant? I'm afraid that mine are cheat ones from the garden centre  :mad: and I don't know what type they were. I only bought two but I can now see that I'm only going to get a handful of fruits from them.

I also didn't cut off the runners because I've pinned them down into pots of compost in the hope that I can get a few more plants in order to get a larger stock for next year after overwintering. Haven't checked on them in a couple of days so Ive probably got runners running out of my proverbial!

Asherweef

I'm no strawberry expert, but here's what I've found by trial-and-error and by reading a few articles....

Strawberries give their best yields in years 2, 3 and 4. The first year is usually pretty rubbish, and yields go down from year 5, after which it's recommended to dig them up. In the first year, I read that is advisable to remove runners as this puts too much of the plant's energy into the runners. I also think I read you should remove flowers to make the strawberries stronger the following year (although we didn't do this last year as we wanted strawberries!). Based on my own experience - when I moved to the house I live in now, about 4 years ago, there was a strawberry patch about 1.5m x 1.5m with around 10-12 plants. We got around 10kg from these plants - probably more, as this is just what we weighed when we pciked bowlfuls and does not count the ones we ate straight off the plants each day! I assume these were 2nd or 3rd summer plants, as the next year we got slightly less (maybe about 6-8 kg) and the year after, much much less. So that year, I pegged in runners and got about 15 new plants which I potted up and left in the greenhouse over winter.

The recommendation is to not to replant strawberries in the same place as it encourages disease, but I had no other place to plant them. So in the Autumn, I completely dug out the strawberry plot (it's a raised bed), removing all plants and soil and half-filled the bed with manure and half with compost. Then, the following spring, I planted out the 12 strongest plants of which 11 gerw very well last year. We got about 3-4 kg last year, but lost a similar amount I think because of the wet weather (lots rotted, and we simply could not stay on top of the slugs). This year, things are looking very good indeed.....

strawberries.jpg
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:03 by lazza »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32 »
I'm very excited....its all looking too good to be true :unsure:  (I'm still traumatised from last year ;) )
WP_000266.jpg
Anne

plum crumble

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 13:18 »
lovely Annen!  :D that's all we ask for, eh?
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Mrs Bee

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 17:40 »
We have had 2x 1kilo margarine tubs of strawberries for the past 2 nights for tea.
And they were delicious.
I was well chuffed.

The plants are 3 years old.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 18:31 »
Metamorposis:

Still got a colander full of the big ones for a few teas.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 19:34 »
DD now your showing off, i need to see it on a scone with a big dollop of cream and a posh cup and saucer full of tea yummy  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 19:36 »
Don't do posh, it'll have to be tea in a Helligan mug!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 19:39 »
Don't do posh, it'll have to be tea in a Helligan mug!

That will have to do now get going happy snapper. Ps it has to be homemade scones, grendel has set the bar high now for you men.  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 19:43 »
I leave the scones to Mrs Digger, I'm busy knocking out cheesy bread rolls.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 19:48 »
I leave the scones to Mrs Digger, I'm busy knocking out cheesy bread rolls.

Another man that cooks, i am off to the sulking corner  ::)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 21:12 »
Wish I had a man that cooked. I could do with a day off now and again.

Still OH cooks a mean fish and chips. I don't know where he cooks it as he always gets in the car to do it ::) ::) ::) :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 21:24 »
Wish I had a man that cooked. I could do with a day off now and again.

Still OH cooks a mean fish and chips. I don't know where he cooks it as he always gets in the car to do it ::) ::) ::) :lol:

Haha  :D

Ema

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 23:13 »
I've had quite a few 100 but am having to pick them pink as the ants are eating them once they to red! There still very sweet pink but lack a real flavour I inherited these and think I'll replace them with a different variety.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 06:03 »
I don't think ants are your real problem, they will take the opportunity to get into a damaged fruit, but on their own they are not capable of it.

The answers lies in protecting the fruit from rot, slugs, woodlice etc., so you need to be thinking in terms of straw, slug pellets etc., rather than ant protection.

Asherweef

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 12:57 »
Thanks Lazza, lots of information there!!!

xx
Strawberry Harvest

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 12:57
by J_B
xx
Good strawberry harvest.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2023, 09:45
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Disappointing strawberry harvest

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2015, 10:24
by brokenglass
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.