Response re seaweed

• 3 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Response re seaweed
« on: June 21, 2013, 21:23 »
Hello,

I've been to the seaside and thought about getting some seaweed for the garden, so I read on here about taking it from a beach. I have contacted the crown estate and have been told the following applies to crown estate beaches...

" strandline, or storm-cast, seaweed is a habitat for creatures such as sand-hoppers, etc which can be an important food source for birds, as well as playing a role in embryonic sand dune formation. Therefore we advocate, on the advice of Natural England, that such collections, although minor in nature, are still made at intervals along the beach and not always from the same location, and that some material is always left in place rather than particular spots being completely cleared."

Hope this may be of help!

solway cropper

Re: Response re seaweed
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 00:21 »
I've been collecting seaweed for donkey's years exactly on that basis. It's not the collecting that causes problems but the way it's collected....but ain't that true of everything.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 07:24 »
I read on here about taking it from a beach. I have contacted the crown estate and have been told the following applies to crown estate beaches...

Thanks for reading our FAQ post and for getting that response from the Crown Estate.

The point made in the FAQ and for those who don't know, the Crown Estate does not own all the UK shoreline and you must find out who owns the section you want to harvest from and ask their permission.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:35 »
I read the threads on this and consequently contacted our council, who in turn referred me to the crown estate, who then told me our shoreline is leased to the council, little bit dizzy  :tongue2: anyhoo, turns out, i now have the crowns permission to remove by hand! Result  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

xx
very fast response

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 16:54
by rhythmvick
xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Seaweed?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 31, 2008, 16:15
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
seaweed

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 21:01
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 28 queries.