Leek moth

• 10 Replies

brotherdeal

Leek moth
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:45 »
The last few years growing leeks have been a bit of a nightmare, I have lost the majority to the leek moth.

Does anyone have a recipe for success when growing leeks?

seaside

Re: Leek moth
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 13:16 »
Keep an eye on them and as soon as you see any signs of an enemy attack, before if you wish as soon as they are strong and upright enough, cover them with loose fleece for the duration. The fleece just sits over them and they really seem to appreciate that growing environment in my experience.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 14:43 »
After 2 yrs of Leek Moth ,I have used these cases for 3yrs now perfect Leeks every year ,made of enviromesh on a wooden frame ,the top is is held in place with velcro tape stapled on .
IMG_0037.jpg
bazial

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 00:01 »
Bazial those look great.  Just what I need.  Does the enviromesh on the top stick well to the Velcro around the sides? Our plot is very windy...

brotherdeal

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40 »
I will try the Enviromesh route this year, some potatoes are due to come out freeing up some space for the leeks.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 14:09 »
Bazial those look great.  Just what I need.  Does the enviromesh on the top stick well to the Velcro around the sides? Our plot is very windy...
Hi Flowerpot
                  The Velcro comes in 2 tapes ,one tape is fastened (either tacked or stapled )  to the wood frame ,the other tape is stapled to the enviromesh . Then to gain access to the crops inside you just rip the top off with  the tape fastened to the enviromesh .We are 650 ft above sea level on a hillside ,never had any blow off yet. I aways knock a piece of wood in the ground on 2 corners ,these are screwed to the frame to stop the whole thing from blowing away .
          Bazial
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 14:13 by bazial »

Flowertot

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 19:20 »
Thanks Bazial.  That all makes perfect sense and I've realised is really the only way I'll be able to grow leeks/onions/garlic/shallots.  I got my plot last year and had huge losses due to leek moth and this year I have onion fly in the shallots and onions  :(. I chatted to one of the old guys and he told me the onion fly also gets garlic on our allotments  >:(.  So hubby has bought the wood to build cages like yours and all I need to do now is work out how much Enviromesh and Velcro I need to source!  Your tips are much appreciated.  :)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:10 »
Thanks Bazial.  That all makes perfect sense and I've realised is really the only way I'll be able to grow leeks/onions/garlic/shallots.  I got my plot last year and had huge losses due to leek moth and this year I have onion fly in the shallots and onions  :(. I chatted to one of the old guys and he told me the onion fly also gets garlic on our allotments  >:(.  So hubby has bought the wood to build cages like yours and all I need to do now is work out how much Enviromesh and Velcro I need to source!  Your tips are much appreciated.  :)
Hi Flowertot
                   I have 5 of these cages made of roofing laths witch are treated so will not rot.I grow carrots in one (no fly)
celery ,swedes (no flea beetle ) onions ,leeks,
         Bazial

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47 »
After 2 yrs of Leek Moth ,I have used these cases for 3yrs now perfect Leeks every year ,made of enviromesh on a wooden frame ,the top is is held in place with velcro tape stapled on .

Bazial, those look fantastic. Can I ask, do you think that using velcro on all sides would stand up to the elements instead of stapling on the sides? I'd love to have something where the sides can be removed for weeding/slug-catching etc.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25 »

Bazial, those look fantastic. Can I ask, do you think that using velcro on all sides would stand up to the elements instead of stapling on the sides? I'd love to have something where the sides can be removed for weeding/slug-catching etc.

I would think you could velcro the sides on with no trouble ,but I just rip the top off and either bent over to weed inside  or step in and weed .but as one gets older it gets harder to get your leg over (if you'll excuse the expression )

Bazial

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28 »
Thank you  :)

I'm not so old (in my head at least) but I am very clumsy. Removable velcro hopefully reduces my opportunities to fall into the bed.... :lol:

I can see that as soon as I have got my beds sorted out I'll have a list of building projects as long as my arm....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:31 by surbie100 »

xx
Leek Moth

Started by daveypark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 09:19
by Tattyanne456
xx
leek moth

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 12:17
by corynsboy
xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 19:19
by Beetroot Queen
xx
leek moth - help

Started by spocke on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 06:56
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 36 queries.