Pineberries

• 5 Replies

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Pineberries
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:00 »
Hoorah, after last year's meagre crop it was a joy last night to be able to pick a load of these. SUCH a wonderfully refreshing, flavoursome taste that did well as a quick pud with cream.

I even made 3 pots of jam with them....i know there are loads more to come but now i have got the jam making out of the way i can focus on eating them (i usually preserve towards the end of a harvest and sometimes either don't have enough to make the amount i want or end up having mammoth preserving sessions all at once!,)

And given they used be sold for almost £40 per kilo, it is even more of a joy..
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: Pineberries
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 13:18 »
Having never heard of them I gave them a quick google and came up with this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/apr/01/pineberry-strawberry-waitrose

which unlike your post is not exactly a ringing endorsement but each to their own.

I think it's great when you are able to grow something you love, is a bit different and pricey in shops. We will probably all be growing and loving them in about 20 years!  :lol: :lol:

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 15:27 »
Yes as ever with stuff it is each to their own.  Some folk rate things like rhubarb, asparagus peas etc........but it has imo a great flavour-

although we all know how very inferior a lot of fruit and veg in a supermarket taste. I mean a normal strawberry, for example, and a tomato, is all but tastless and is certainly unimpressive when bought in a supermarket..until the real thing is tasted
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 15:31 by Jonajo »

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 15:47 »
I was given roughly 30 'strawberry plants', looking at them now, they're pineberries, so, home grown on these ones better be nicer  ;)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 16:05 »
 :)

If you don't like them you could always set up a non profit making stall on the side of the road to passers by  ;)
But i hope you do like them.....just dont refrigerate them if you wAnt to really taste them properly
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 16:10 by Jonajo »

dmg

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 22:57 »
I bought one in the reduced rack at dobbies last year and it produced over 20 plants which are now just flowering. Each of these new plants looks as if it sending out at least 6 runners each - I hope I actually like them :tongue2:

xx
Pineberries

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 02, 2017, 22:33
by Potty Plotty Lotty

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 37 queries.