mushrooms

• 53 Replies

pepsi100

mushrooms
« on: December 24, 2007, 19:53 »
Has anyone tried to grow mushrooms, not the type that grow on wood(come to them in a bit), but the 'penny bun' type ?

How difficult is it ? Where do you get decent mushroom compost ? Where did you get the 'seed' ?

Now on to the one's that grow on rotting wood........

Where does the wood have to be stored ? Does it have to be dry ? Are they difficult to start to grow ? Where do you get seeds for these ?

Any advice would be appreciated

(Ray Mears and Jamie Oliver have got a lot to answer for, my missus has been watching these two, and said, thats easy, WE should grow them, dunno where the WE came from :!: )

I just plant seeds and stand back, this looks a bit more involved, its easy having chickens, feed in one end, eggs out the other + a decent bit of manure for the top of the garden  :)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

gobs

mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 19:58 »
They are difficult I think as I did not have any success with them. Might be just sour grapes... :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sally A

mushrooms
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 20:02 »
I tried some in a mushroom kit once, they were button mushrooms and very flavoursome, but they did come with those dang little flies, so had to make sure there were no maggoty ones in there.

Must say, I've not seen those kits around for a while.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
mushrooms
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 20:15 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I tried some in a mushroom kit once, they were button mushrooms and very flavoursome, but they did come with those dang little flies, so had to make sure there were no maggoty ones in there.

Must say, I've not seen those kits around for a while.

They're still around, I had the same results as you, but I thought it was a fly kit that came with dang mushrooms.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Contadino

• Experienced Member
mushrooms
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 20:21 »
I've got a load on the go at the mo.  It's a kit made up of a little straw bale in a plastic bag.  When it's ready you split it in two and bury them under shallow moist soil.  The shrooms that it's produced are excellent, but they yield has been low.  It's the first time I've tried, and I'll be doing some more research before buying another kit to see if I can figure out how to get more.

I paid EUR 2 for the kit, and probably got a kilo of shrooms.  That's about the same price that I can buy them for in the market.

gobs

mushrooms
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 21:00 »
Good you are saying that, Contadino, I wanted to try them, but they are also much more expensive here.

I've only tried the log things once, which was very disappointing to me.

pepsi100

mushrooms
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:16 »
Do the logs have to be dry ?

What sort of temp do they have to be kept at ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
mushrooms
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 09:29 »
Quote from: "pepsi100"

I'm no expert but would hazard a guess to say that mushrooms don't grow in dry conditions! This should help...

http://www.ragmans.co.uk/products/logcare.htm

pepsi100

mushrooms
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 09:45 »
Quote from: "DD."

I'm no expert but would hazard a guess to say that mushrooms don't grow in dry conditions! This should help...

http://www.ragmans.co.uk/products/logcare.htm

Now that is what I would have thought, but on some other website, it says to make sure the logs are dry and freshly cut and to store them 6 weeks, thats why I thought I'd ask the experts in here :)

gobs

mushrooms
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 10:27 »
You probably need to wait till end of festivities till someone who grows them successfully comes on, but if my memory serves me right, dry here might well refer to the logs not supposed to be very fresh, some 3 months old at least, I think. But it's all vague memories.

WG.

Re: mushrooms
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 14:29 »
Has anyone tried to grow mushrooms, not the type that grow on wood(come to them in a bit), but the 'penny bun' type ?

How difficult is it ? Where do you get decent mushroom compost ? Where did you get the 'seed' ?

Penny Bun type ??  You mean regular white mushrooms like this?  http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200604/r79967_230279.jpg

pepsi100

Re: mushrooms
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 14:36 »
Quote from: "WG."

Penny Bun type ??  You mean regular white mushrooms like this?  http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200604/r79967_230279.jpg

nope, they are button mushrooms, these are penny bun mushrooms........

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=penny+bun+mushroom&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

WG.

mushrooms
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 14:39 »
ceps only grow wild as far as I am aware.  We get loads of them around this area

pepsi100

mushrooms
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 14:41 »
ceps only grow wild as far as I am aware.  We get loads of them around this area

That's good news, next time your out walking, taking the dog/kids/missus, collect a few and send some down   :D

WG.

mushrooms
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 14:44 »

That's good news, next time your out walking, taking the dog/kids/missus, collect a few and send some down   :D
Some folks earn a lot of dosh by gathering them and selling them to an wholesaler.  Ceps and chanterelles.

xx
Mushrooms

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 11:17
by wilbzfishing
xx
Mushrooms

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 07:54
by lacewing
xx
Mushrooms

Started by andy_jacko on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 22, 2006, 09:39
by Tensing
xx
can anyone name these mushrooms

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 05, 2008, 12:22
by nsalt

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 37 queries.