Covering raspberries with net curtains?

• 9 Replies

Yana

Covering raspberries with net curtains?
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:21 »
I've got quite few raspberries that are starting to go red and soon ready for picking. Is it ok now to put some old net curtains over them or some other form of netting? There are flowers and green ones as well (obviously) so don't want to exclude pollinators and sunlight.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

RichardA

Re: Covering raspberries with net curtains?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23 »
in my opinion it is fine, I use debris netting if I see a problem with birds but would admit my priority is always to net my strawberries as birds go for them all the time and very rarely, in my case , go for the rasps.

Yana

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28 »
in my opinion it is fine, I use debris netting if I see a problem with birds but would admit my priority is always to net my strawberries as birds go for them all the time and very rarely, in my case , go for the rasps.
I already covered the strawbs with debris netting but it didn't stop the ants getting at them!!!!
There is an ever increasing number of birds (pigeons, magpies, rooks) and foxes so I dont think I will get away without netting them with something.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 11:31 »
Whatever you net them with make sure it's not going to trap the birds. Net curtain is fine and cheap as chips from the charity shop  :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 15:12 »
Like Yana, I must net my raspberries because the thieving birds won't stop and last year they got 90% of my crop  >:( This year we're enclosing the whole patch, along with other berries, in a big fruit cage and it won't be soon enough - the plants are all flowering and have small berries.

As for strawberries, it used to be just robins that stole it but now I see the mourning doves have also discovered the fine taste  :mad:

Yana

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:37 »
Like Yana, I must net my raspberries because the thieving birds won't stop and last year they got 90% of my crop  >:( This year we're enclosing the whole patch, along with other berries, in a big fruit cage and it won't be soon enough - the plants are all flowering and have small berries.

As for strawberries, it used to be just robins that stole it but now I see the mourning doves have also discovered the fine taste  :mad:
The other 'thieves' I forgot to mention are the two-legged variety!  >:(
The ottie site is an open-one (has a public footpath right through it) and every year there are thefts of fruit and veg so the netting may persuade the aforementioned people to look to another plot where the fruit isn't covered for easier pickings.

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:52 »
Can I ask a question please   :D if you net with fine net are you not keeping the bees out, keeping them from pollinating the berries,I have lots of raspberries at different stages so I was thinking of using a large hole net to cover up?

Yana

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 14:13 »
Can I ask a question please   :D if you net with fine net are you not keeping the bees out, keeping them from pollinating the berries,I have lots of raspberries at different stages so I was thinking of using a large hole net to cover up?
Hi Rosehip
The plan I have is to cover the tops, not a complete enclosure. Sorry, I didn't say this. A bit like a tablecloth over the canes so that bees can still get in.
A smart bird will work out that they can go underneath .......... But still get out.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 16:36 »
Yes, they are cheeky little wotsits  :D  You can festoon them in all manner of protections and the birds will nip under it and up into the fruit. The only thing that can't get to them will be you  :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 21:16 »
you are dead right about them being cheeky wotsits and I take great umbrage at them stealing my fruit as we put out loads of bird food for them all year. >:(

xx
Old net curtains

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 00:53
by Paul Plots
xx
net curtains?

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 17:27
by corndolly
xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
What needs covering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:00
by NorfolkVeg

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 36 queries.