Wooden Raised Beds - Rotting

• 6 Replies

braders1234

• Experienced Member
Wooden Raised Beds - Rotting
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:22 »
Hi ,

When I first got my lotty about 4 years ago I had some wood which I made raised beds out of.  I have noticed that the wood is starting to decay and that the soil in the beds has white mould in it  if you dig into it .  I first noticed this on the Raspberries but thought it might be natural to Rasps?

Will the mould comming of the wood degards the soil or harm the plants?  Should I just replace the wood?

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
Re: Wooden Raised Beds - Rotting
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:38 »
Some of mine went the same way. I assume it is just moisture that slowly rots the wood away, you dont really want treated wood I guess (none of ours was treated in anyway)

I just dug the wood out and replaced it - I have been using scaffold boards hoping they last a long time.
2013 Halifax Horticultural show.
French beans winner :)

savbo

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:45 »
If it's a fungus that eats dead wood it's not likely to be much of a danger to living plants....i have the same kind of thing in my raised beds occasionally. As Nij says, if we don't want wood treatments near our food, then this is the price we pay - unless we have access to planks of much more resilient wood like alder or oak

sav

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:06 »

I think you've done well to get four years out of untreated wood.  I use paving slabs placed on the ground on edge and held in place round the top with an angle iron collar.  No sign of fungal infection yet!  :lol:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

savbo

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:35 »
I've noticed one of my neighbours has a raised bed made from the plastic 'planks' that are used to fence off roadworks...

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:39 »

I think you've done well to get four years out of untreated wood.  I use paving slabs placed on the ground on edge and held in place round the top with an angle iron collar.  No sign of fungal infection yet!  :lol:

Cheers,   Tony.

I have thought of this, what is an angle iron collar and where would I get such a thing.  Also do you not have issues with the soil leaking out between the slabs?

Thanks for the responses.

Nij48

• Experienced Member
    • My allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43 »
I've noticed one of my neighbours has a raised bed made from the plastic 'planks' that are used to fence off roadworks...

I have some thick UPVC stuff for window surrounds (were 'offcuts' at 10 foot each and were free from the local window makers) as yet they have only been used for a small lettuce bed - I need more to do all my bed

xx
Raised wooden beds?

Started by tweeky on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:27
by polly nator
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
raised beds

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 23:34
by Trillium
clip
Raised Beds

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 23:04
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 36 queries.