Clueless Newbie Checking In

• 15 Replies

NewbieGardener

Clueless Newbie Checking In
« on: June 20, 2013, 18:23 »
Hey guys, always fancied taking up growing some stuff, so bit the bullet last weekend and relieved B&Q with a variety of their gardening produce. Basically bought some plants, bunged them into large shopping bags filled with compost. Then took a few photos, here are the results.

This is the first bag with runner beans in it. My tallest runner bean plant is 25 inches - it seems to have doubled in length in the space of a week (is that even possible?).

This is the second bag with runner beans in it. The plants were a little smaller to start with than in the first bag. Smallest runner bean plant in here is 9 inches and looks a little weedy.

Dwarf kale in the final bag. Hasn't really done anything in the week it's been in the bag so far.

I also have some lettuces and spinach (currently growing in larger pots) until I figure out what I am doing with them.

Some questions.

• On the bags, Is it possible I am overcrowding any of my plants? My soil quality is rubbish and I have poor light in my back garden, so really I am restricted to growing stuff in containers/pots/bags.
  • I haven't used any fertilizer whatsoever. Can anyone recommend a brand that would be suited to kale/spinach/lettuce//runner beans? I hear the meat/bone stuff is supposed to be good?
  • When my lettuces and spinach develop a little better, I was going to follow the same tactic of putting them into bags - what do folks think?
  • With regards to bags themselves, I'll be needing a couple more cheap sources. Has anyone got recommendations?

Any tips, help or advice would be useful, like I said, I don't have a clue what I am doing :D

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Clueless Newbie Checking In
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 18:29 »
I'm pretty new to all this so won't comment on most of your points however IKEA is a good source for those sorts of bags!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 18:39 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Your first two bags look fine; I've added fish blood and bone (or growmore would do the same job) to my beans to give them a general boost.

The kale in the third bag might be a little crowded, perhaps.  They should be firmed in as they don't like loose soil.  Have you got any drainage holes in that bag?  How well does it drain?  (The first two bags look as though they are porous so should be OK).  Again a general fertiliser would help.

Multi purpose compost has nutrients for about 6 weeks and then needs more feeding.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

NewbieGardener

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 21:59 »
I'm pretty new to all this so won't comment on most of your points however IKEA is a good source for those sorts of bags!
Good tip!

NewbieGardener

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 22:04 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Your first two bags look fine; I've added fish blood and bone (or growmore would do the same job) to my beans to give them a general boost.

The kale in the third bag might be a little crowded, perhaps.  They should be firmed in as they don't like loose soil.  Have you got any drainage holes in that bag?  How well does it drain?  (The first two bags look as though they are porous so should be OK).  Again a general fertiliser would help.

Multi purpose compost has nutrients for about 6 weeks and then needs more feeding.
I went out and bought some FBB fertilizer, it came with an NPK of 7/7/7 - is that a decent quality of fertilizer do you reckon? Also, is it ok to tip that on top of the soil, or do you add it to the watering can?

The first two bags are made of a thick cloth and seem to drain ok. The other one is lined with plastic on the inside, I cut some holes into the side and bottom, so hopefully it should be enough to help drain.

As for watering, it seems like the bags need watering every 2 days - does that seems like the bags are draining properly?

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 15:06 »
go to poundland and u will get a lot of cheap growing containers/bags etc for a quid

NewbieGardener

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 10:38 »
My runner beans are shooting up the cane, the only problem is that the bottom leaves seem to be getting dry, crinkly and yellow around the edges. There are shoots growing on the above parts of the plant though. They are well water, so surely that isn't the problem. They are pretty well secluded, so I don't think it's wind damage either.

Any suggestions?

NewbieGardener

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:08 »
Browning and crisping at the edges.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 13:05 »
You will often find those first 2 leaves will go yellow or whatever and drop off.  I sometimes take them off so the plant can concentrate on the new leaves.

I'm sure they'll be fine.   ;)

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 15:52 »
I think you may need to change your user name......not clueless at all. very impressive ;)

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 17:24 »
I 've never used them for growing in, but Sports Direct bags (the jumbo ones they nag you to buy if you go into the stores) - are really strong and would hold quite a lot of volume - I might just try them myself I bet they would outlast the cheap potato planters :)

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 19:43 »
Neve call yourself clueless, you found this great site, I am a newbie also but this site and its members eloped no end

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 19:52 »
Neve call yourself clueless, you found this great site, I am a newbie also but this site and its members eloped no end

Eloping?!!  :ohmy: :blink: ;) :lol:

I think I'll stick to helping  ;) :tongue2: :lol:

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 20:14 »
Flipping eye pads and predictive text, and sloe gin hic !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 20:45 »
Ooh you've just reminded me I've got some sloe gin which needs to be started ... thanks!

xx
checking in

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 09:22
by puravida
xx
What Does Checking Mean?

Started by dmhain on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 17:37
by Trillium
xx
Just checking

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2009, 18:38
by DD.
xx
Keen but clueless!

Started by Carly Flower on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 28, 2008, 19:02
by SG6

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 37 queries.