Flowers disappearing from b beans

• 40 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Pods and flowers falling off B Beans
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22 »
I posted a picture of the damage done by honey short tongued bees on my broad beans recently

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=106792.msg1198751;topicseen#msg1198751

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
Re: Flowers disappearing from b beans
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 10:26 »
And it was you that enlightened me aunty  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 11:29 »
I knew I'd read it somewhere  :wacko:  :D

hubballi

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 09:24 »
This is ridiculous, there is o damage by any bees, slugs etc but nearly ALL the flowers have fallen off and there were a lot of flowers. The plants are very good, tall and healthy. Some have just 2 or 3 pods on them which are still small.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 09:32 »
This is ridiculous, there is o damage by any bees, slugs etc but nearly ALL the flowers have fallen off and there were a lot of flowers. The plants are very good, tall and healthy. Some have just 2 or 3 pods on them which are still small.

Mine were covered in flowers yet we are in for a very poor harvest we have good years we have bad. I think you are worrying too much and need to look at the whole picture. What are you having a good year with ?

hubballi

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 09:40 »
I like to know reasons why so I know what to avoid again. I can understand when we are hit with pests or disease but not something that doesn't make sense. I have a notebook that I log every season so I don't make the same mistakes again. With this problem I don't know what it is so not sure it will be avoided again. Of course I have some things that do well, R beans, peas (though non so far as plants late) broccoli, strawberry, gooseberry,toms, and more.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 09:45 »
I like to know reasons why so I know what to avoid again. I can understand when we are hit with pests or disease but not something that doesn't make sense. I have a notebook that I log every season so I don't make the same mistakes again. With this problem I don't know what it is so not sure it will be avoided again. Of course I have some things that do well, R beans, peas (though non so far as plants late) broccoli, strawberry, gooseberry,toms, and more.

Sometimes we just dont know though, i'd love to know the reasons for All my duff crops because then i'd buy a huge farm and supply tesco, gardening is hard work but we cant all have perfection all of the time. Plants can be awkward and throw a tantrum for the smallest of reasons. Your doing well with other bits, who knows next year BB may do much better than toms. We just never know what awaits us each season.

hubballi

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51 »
I take it from your name here you are good at beetroot  ;)  ?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 09:56 »
I take it from your name here you are good at beetroot  ;)  ?

Most years but saying that i too have had a duff year in the past for beets. I do love eating it though which is what inspired the name.  ;) but when you consider how much i sow i should have a bumper year every year.

hubballi

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 10:48 »
I few years ago I got good beetroots but since then it either bolts (even bolthardy), gets infested with leaf miner or just sits in the soil and the roots don't swell. I do love beetroot and it's fantastic health wise. We buy a dip from our local farm shop made from beetroot and it's addictive.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52 »
I few years ago I got good beetroots but since then it either bolts (even bolthardy), gets infested with leaf miner or just sits in the soil and the roots don't swell. I do love beetroot and it's fantastic health wise. We buy a dip from our local farm shop made from beetroot and it's addictive.

I have some in the tunnel, some out on the plot and some at home i pots, never tried i pots before but i had posts spare. I had one bad year with beets but i stuck with bolthardy and its fine this year. Others o our site cant grow it. I never let mine go above tennis ball sized at most.

xx
disappearing courgette flowers

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2019, 20:07
by Twood
xx
disappearing beans

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 10:43
by diggerjoe
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
No flowers on climbing beans

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 17:53
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 38 queries.