Potting on seedlings

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Potting on seedlings
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:28 »
I have a whole load of trays of seedlings (Delpheniums, Lupins, Hollyhocks, Verbascium etc. etc.).  I now need to pot them on and bought a big bag of Potting Compost (John Innes).  I potted on the first of them this morning but stopped because the Potting Compost seemed to be wrong!!  I was expecting it to be loose but t is very dense and when I press it into the pots it seems to compact and I am afraid that it will deprive the plants of air - does anyone know if this is ok?  Should I mix ordinary compost, vermiculite or something like that or should I just forget about it altogether and just pot them on into multi purpose (I have 3 big bags of that - compost heap only new so no homegrown stuff yet).

fatcat1955

Re: Potting on seedlings
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 16:56 »
You need to firm them in so there are no air pocket's around the root's.

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34 »
Thanks folks, fluffed up the compost as suggested and did some more potting on last night, I was just careful to firm them in but not to press really hard so that it was too compacted - they all look very happy this morning.  Now my next problem is what to do with 100 verbascum, 50 Lupin and 50 delphinium.

Asherweef

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 21:19 »
I had a similar question as I felt that my John Innes compost was far too dense when planting seeds and potting on. Didn't seem to harm them though but it did make me feel a little uneasy... I also don't seem to have a great rate of viability. Not sure if that's because I bought cheap seeds this year from B&M or because of the dense soil/my care.

Any ideas?

xx
potting on

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 22:21
by AmandaLouise
xx
re-potting cacti

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 17:55
by rowlandwells
xx
Potting on cosmos

Started by poohpouri on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 21:01
by Spana
xx
In the Potting Shed I've Been

Started by snowdrops on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 21:15
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 28 queries.