Butter nut squash

• 13 Replies

Rich72

• Experienced Member
Butter nut squash
« on: June 18, 2013, 21:28 »
I planted 5 healthy butter nut squash plants out on the plot at beginning of June. They sulked and sulked and then they died. Is it too late to start more?

Flowertot

Re: Butter nut squash
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 21:54 »
Oh dear! Poor you.  I have 2 which are both still sulking and I am worried about them...  I was wondering today if I should sow more now so I will be interested in responses to your question too.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 22:07 »
BNS takes quite a long time to grow to maturity - I think you may have left it too late from seed this far north.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

seaside

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 22:33 »
I have 3 outside that are sulking still, and 2 in the greenhouse that are slightly better off, have small forming flowers, very small, but really do need a week of 70 degree sunshine to set them off. That isn't going to happen this week.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 22:41 »
Thanks guys. Just have to resign myself to a butternutless plot this year  :wub:

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 22:54 »
This is the last year I grow BNS - but I said that last year!

I just risked one of my potted BNS onto the plot under a cloche to help keep the winds off. I don't hold much hope.

The ones in pots back at home only have two true leaves and the next pair are just forming. I don't think this year is going to be good for growing BNS - too late in the year now to get going.

It won't stop me trying though!

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 23:05 »
No harm trying, just don't get your hopes up too high.

We've had only 20C temps around here lately and my squashes are sulking as well. One variety I have, Nutterbutter,  was chewed right up by some dratted critter  >:( The others are under cloches until they get a bit bigger and pricklier.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 23:06 »
You could try sowing in November, mind you have to bring it into your home all winter. This is what I did and see the result.  I've got a thread going called mystery squash should you be interested in more pictures
IMG_1592.JPG
Anne

alotty

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 14:13 »
we planted out 2 BNS on the plot 2 weeks ago and one has completely died and the other is barely clinging on to life.  We grew 8 from seed and the other 6 have been put in my cold frame so i'm hoping i can replace the dead ones with non dead ones when it warms up a bit. 

We've never grown it before so have no idea what's right and what's wrong!

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 19:20 »
I have 2 and they seem to be ok, but aren't really getting any bigger.

Lots of people's squashes around of plot have been stripped by wind...,,

I cut a 2 litre bottle and make a cloche lengthways until they have about 6 leaves and look stocky enough to survive our summers!!
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

seaside

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 19:37 »

I just risked one of my potted BNS onto the plot under a cloche to help keep the winds off. I don't hold much hope.

The ones in pots back at home only have two true leaves and the next pair are just forming. I don't think this year is going to be good for growing BNS - too late in the year now to get going.

Yes, I won't stop trying either Kirpi.
I have 2 plants in my greenhouse, and both suggest they might just come into flower shortly... that's a bit more advanced than last year for me. Then the problem will be the greenhouse pollination. Last year it took a month of doing the flower pollination thing before one actually took the hint.
The outside plants are under fleece on cold days.

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 21:08 »

Yes, I won't stop trying either Kirpi.
I have 2 plants in my greenhouse, and both suggest they might just come into flower shortly... that's a bit more advanced than last year for me. Then the problem will be the greenhouse pollination. Last year it took a month of doing the flower pollination thing before one actually took the hint.
The outside plants are under fleece on cold days.

Is the BNS growing in the grond in your greenhouse Seaside or in a large tub? If a tub - how large as this might be the way forward for this warmth loving plant.

seaside

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 21:24 »
One squash in the greenhouse border, and one in a largish 12" pot that is sited on top of the border, so I assume roots are by now down into the soil. The plant in the pot is larger and more advanced.
Have tried the same with cucumbers and again, the potted plants sitting on the border are larger.

The difference in growth may be just down to the compost in the pots being more beneficial than the straight planted border plants.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 21:26 by seaside »

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 21:43 »
I have 4 on the plot which are growing but very slowly and one in the greenhouse which is a good 3 times bigger and looking very healthy, next year I'm going to try the butternut bush

xx
butter nut squash

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 16:41
by JayG
xx
Butter nut squash

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 22:29
by gypsy
xx
butter nut squash

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 09:45
by compostqueen
xx
Butter nut Squash Question

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 23:29
by gobs

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 36 queries.