Hs my hen caught a cold?

• 5 Replies

ghost61

Hs my hen caught a cold?
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:55 »
This morning Top Bird had laid a soft shell egg in the coop whilst roosting and her poo was a bit runny.  When I let the hens out, I noticed she had a bubble over one eye, and she wasn't scratching around and eating as normal.  Have her lots of cuddles and got rid of the bubble, but I think there is some slight discharge from the eye. She did perk up and ate some greens, grit and yoghurt, not interested in layer pellets, but did eat a little corn that I held out for her. Is there anything else I should do? Only have three hens, and am loathe to isolate her at this stage, as it really stresses her out (I had to separate her at one stage when she was getting a bit nasty and know that she hates being apart from her mates).

Sassy

Re: Hs my hen caught a cold?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:33 »
It sounds as though it may be mycoplasma. Hopefully someone will be along to advise but I would definitely isolate her. How old is she and how long have you had her? Providing this info may help others to help you. Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:37 »
Sassy is right, it is best to isolate her.  I would consult a poultry friendly vet as it could be mycoplasma.  There is some information on the disease HERE.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:04 »
Not sure what was wrong with her, she is about 23 weeks old, but within 12 hours she was back to her old self, bossing the other two about.  I have a suspicion that she was the main culprit of the pecks block raid which saw a whole one disappear within hours! Probably felt a bit sick as a result - just like me with a big box of Thornton chocs at Christmas! 

All is well this morning, poo solid again, and scratching about like mad and devouring the pellets!  Phew!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06 »
Great :)

grinling

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 21:29 »
still get her checked for myco as this can reoccur.

xx
Caught in a Trap

Started by Heidi on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 09:09
by Foxy
xx
Greyie caught a rat!

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 08:16
by Sassy
xx
Caught the thief

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 11:43
by yorkshirerose
xx
Dog caught chicken

Started by Eblana on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 10:18
by joyfull

Page created in 1.781 seconds with 36 queries.