Cabbage Wilting Is It Club Root?

• 10 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Cabbage Wilting Is It Club Root?
« on: June 16, 2013, 20:03 »
Four or Five of my cabbages have wilted and the roots look wrong, I have taken some quick photo's and posted them below could someone advise me what action to take, I am going away for a weeks holiday tomorrow and I am  worried that it might be something that is going to affect the rest of the crop.

Photo 1 shows the wilted cabbage.
Photo 2 shows the root.
Photo 3 shows the other healthy looking brassica's.
130616_192651.jpg
130616_193847.jpg
130616_192710.jpg
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 20:05 by MickyB »

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Re: Cabbage Wilting Is It Club Root?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 20:23 »
I did some research and it looks like club root all the way, I will dig out the effected cabbages early tomorrow morning  :(
Will this effect the rest of the crop?
What is the best course of action for future planting?
I suspect that I encouraged the fungal spores by keeping the cabbages under fleece for too long.
All advise will be gratefully received - I don't want to keep making the same mistakes.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 21:17 »
It is indeed club root.

You did nothing wrong.  The fleece will have made no difference.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 21:19 »

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 17:20 »
Thanks for the confirmation and tips at least I now know what I am dealing with! I dug the effected cabbages out and binned them.

I was worried about leaving them in the ground to infect other plants and went down to my allotment at 06:00 this morning and got rid of them before I left for holiday - hopefully the rest of them will be OK. Thanks for the link to the RHS I will take their advise and avoid planting the same area with brassica's for as long as possible, I will also look into planting club root resistant plants such as 'Kilaton' next season.

The look of the club root gives me the creeps  :wacko:

If the plants are well established can they withstand a club root infection enough to produce an edible plant or will it just take over the whole of the root system once infected? I don't want to start throwing stuff in the bin if it can still be eaten.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 17:26 »
If you grow the plants on in good sized pots, so that they have a well established root system before planting them out they will have a better chance of producing you some dinners :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 19:46 »
DD has club root and hopefully will be along to confirm which varieties he grows, which are more club root resistant.

If you grow the plant on in pots to a decent size, and sprinkle the planting hole with lime, then this can help give the plants a head start.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

baldy-bob

• It's got two choices....grow or no grow
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 12:52 »
I have club root on every inch of my plot and had been battling with it for years. All the advice above is good, esp getting your plants as big as possible before planting out. I used to pot on up to 6'' pots at one time. You will get an harvest, but it probably will be reduced. Small sprouts and cabbage heads, and yes you are correct, it looks disgusting on the roots. Salvation has arrived in the introduction of club root resistance varieties. "Kilaton and Kilazol" for cabbage, "Crispus" for sprouts and "Clapton" for cauliflower. Have been growing these for the last 3 years now with great success. I get my seed from DT Browns. Brassicas back on the menu. :)

ryetek

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 13:24 »
We have club root in both our plots. All the advice given above is good. However if you follow the advice you don't necessarily have to stick to the club root resistant varieties to get a good harvest (although I'm sure it will help).

As an example we are currently harvesting Spring Hero cabbages and Aquiles calabrese both of which we over-wintered. They both show signs of club root but the crops are fantastic without any sign of wilting in this dry, warm weather we are having. We got a cabbage last night and it must be at least 4kg although I haven't weighed it.

For the summer/autumn harvest we are growing Kilaton cabbage, Clapton cauliflower and Crispus brussels sprouts all for the first time. Going by baldy-bob's comments we're hopefully not going to be disappointed. They all look very well so far; no wilting or even any sign of club root yet.

So as others have said grow plants on in 3 or 5 inch pots before introducing them to your plot. Lime two or three weeks before planting out and lightly rake in. When planting out drop a good handful of lime in to the hole at planting time. I know club root takes a long time to get rid of but regardless of that always rotate your brassica crop too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 16:17 by ryetek »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 15:58 »
We also have club root in our clay soil.
This year our cabbages look a lot better than previously.
I put it down to enriching the soil last year (which gives them food to grow faster) and applying a generous dose of lime.
Also, the soil seems dryer than last year. I think they prefer the cooler weather.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 17:38 »
There is, unfortunately, hardly an allotment in the country that doesn't have club root.  !

xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 17:12
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Cabbage Root Fly

Started by cheetah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 00:56
by cheetah
xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2018, 14:53
by Deborah1
xx
Cabbage root fly

Started by LottieSue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 19:32
by allot2learn

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 37 queries.