Antiseptic Cream in Eye

• 25 Replies

Prod

Antiseptic Cream in Eye
« on: June 15, 2013, 14:50 »
Yet ANOTHER question......... I was treating the Buff Orpington (former Brahma) that I rescued and then took a pasting from my first cockerel with salt water and antiseptic cream on his comb and wattles which were the worst,plus his eye which is still closed. Some of the antiseptic cream must have got in his 'good' eye and now both are closed......  Have I blinded him!!!!!!

oborne27

Re: Antiseptic Cream in Eye
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 17:11 »
I would very much doubt it. but to be on the safe side it may be wise to phone your local vet and have a chat to them. if they are like mine they won't charge you as it would be over the phone.
And of course, keep a close 'eye' on the bird involved....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 13:36 »
Only just seen this post.  How is Billy - other eye open yet ?  :) 

Prod

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 15:34 »
Hi  well his original eye that was injured in the fight is still closed but I think the swelling is going down and the one with cream in is swollen but open a tiny bit.   I am going to take him to the vets tomorrow (although they look after domestic pets it is mainly an agricultural practise so they are very good) and hopefully get him an antibiotic injection.  I feel so sorry for him, I rescued him and the others from a poor quality home and now he seems in worse condition I feel responsible......

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 16:04 »
Will you please stop beating yourself up about it  :)  You weren't to know the normally placid Thatcher was going to turn into The Terminator and break into Billy's run to get to him.

Cockerels are amazingly resilient.  You should have seen the state of Alphie when he started a war with Foghorn and came off worst.  Within days he was back at the wire of Foggy's run hurling abuse at him  ::)

An antibiotic injection might be a good idea and the vet can get that injured eye washed out properly.  Billy will heal and the second he feels better, he will have forgotten all about his injuries.   A poor quality home would have made his life miserable for ever  :)

Prod

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 17:08 »
I know, thanks.  Thatcher actually flew up into the low branches of a tree to get over the fence!!!  I cant really blame him as he has been so protective of his girls and they have all been together since the beginning. I just feel so sorry for the new one as he cant see now.  Today I mixed some tonic in water and, I have large syringe the vet gave me, so I drip fed him some water which he gulped up.  He is such a gentle giant, I sat and held him for 20 mins or so  and he was really content....... I hope the vet can sort him out tomorrow Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. The locals think I am balmy as they are all farmers so not as emotional as me. I was giving the new farm dog some biscuits this afternoon as he is as thin as a rake, his ribs show, but he is such a lovely puppy. I guess he will never be away from the door now  but hey!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 17:28 »
Us softies need to stick together  ;)  I am ridiculously soppy about my chickens as the cockerel diaries bear witness to  :blush:

Farmers can't afford to be emotional.  They run a business in a tough, uncompromising environment  :)  Luckily for Billy, he's with a backyard chicken keeper now that will spoil him a bit   ;)

Let us all know how you get on at the vets  :)

Prod

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 21:55 »
I took Billy to the vet this afternoon. She said that she couldn't see any infection and gave him an antibiotic injection and an anti inflammatory jab plus she gave me another to give to him tomorrow.  Both his eyes are closed but I think the swelling is going down.  I have given him water, with tonic in it, via the syringe  but I cant get him to eat.  I might mash some food up tomorrow and see if I can put that in the syringe.  I have put him on his own tonight in the shed and made him as comfy as I can..   I really hope he gets his sight back, at least in one eye I don't think he could survive if he was blind???? :( :( :( :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 22:16 »
Try using you finger to tap at some food in a dish held near to his head.  Hopefully it will stimulate him to peck, it always works with chicks.  I hope he makes a good improvement after his medication today.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 20:34 »
Good news..... I think....   I gave Billy his 2nd anti inflam injection and this evening the swelling has definitely gone down. He is a brilliant bird, lets me do anything, so I spent an hour cleaning his wounds with salt water swabs and cotton buds and I got quite a bit of gunk out of one eye.  later when I went to check his right eye was open (the one that had antiseptic cream in) and Im sure he can se a bit.  I will update you as it goes.....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 20:37 »
So pleased to hear Billy has improved  :D 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 20:52 »
That is great news.   :D

Prod

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 20:23 »
Update!!!   Billy's right eye is  now completely open and I am pretty sure he can see.  His other is still cosed but the swelling has really gone down and I am still bathing it with lukewarm salty water. I can see a 'peck' mark/hole just below his bottom lid but it is clean and not infected and when I clean his eye I can see his eyeball is still intact so I am hoping it is just a superficial wound and he will eventually recover both eyes.  I cannot believe how docile he is.  I lay him on his back while I treat him and I dont have to hold him down. Even when I leave him to get something he just lies there till I turn up upside.  I do hope I can keep him he is a great little guy!! :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 20:53 »
Great news  :D  How is his eating and drinking?  Are you still feeding him or is he managing by himself ?

Prod

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 06:42 »
I am still giving him water/tonic by syringe just to make sure he gets fluid.  He wont eat from my hand but last night I put some corn in a plastic tub and 'rattled' it and it got his attention. 

xx
Antiseptic wound powder - is it suitable for hens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2011, 19:16
by joyfull
xx
Cream Legbar

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 13:58
by joyfull
xx
Cream Crack-erd New Mum

Started by bellagirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2010, 20:11
by Henlady
xx
cream legbar

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 20:55
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.57 seconds with 38 queries.