How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #465 on: September 12, 2013, 20:26 »
I think i'm going to pick my 'Roma VF' toms green an ripen them indoors as the ones ripening on the plant don't look too healthy - they look old and powdery and not very tasty :(
The few I've ripened inside are glossy and nice looking ??? :unsure:

Sparkyrog

« Reply #466 on: September 12, 2013, 20:37 »
Not posted for ages... went on holdiay and came back to a greenhouse packed with foliage... in fact it had burst through a gap at the top and two plants were about 8' high.... I don't mind asking my neighbour to water my tomatoes, but didn't think I could go as far as asking him to keep them pruned back!

Anyway, not too much damage, and all are now well thinned out.

The Brown Berry is very productive, with 5 very good trusses. Had three or four tomatoes so far, but two full trusses should be ripe in the next week or so, I hope. One thing I would say it that this is listed as a cherry tomato, but some of the tomatoes are not far off golf-ball sized.

The four Currant Sweet Pea plants are a bit out of control, although the lower trusses have ripened well, and the tomatoes are deliciously sweet. But as the neame suggests, they are mostly very small, pea-to-marble sized.

The two Garden peach don't seem very productive, but were a bit 'assaulted' by the Currant Sweet Pea plants while I was away. But the first tomatoes are about to be picked, and I have to say, it's a lovely looking tomato - large and yellow with a faint pinkish streakiness.

And the two Lemon Plum have dozens and dozens of tomatoes on, but they look a long way from ripening.

The only real let-down is the bush variety by the back door, Tiny Tim. This has been the best place for this type of tomato in the past, with a couple of very productive varieties grown over the last 4 years, that give a non-stop supply of tomatoes from July to September. But this year's plant has not produced that many tomatoes (lots of flowers, but many of them dropped off) and so far only three have ripened, while several have started to split.
you answered your own question ! "This has been the best place for this type of tomato in the past, with a couple of very productive varieties grown over the last 4 years" ;)
I cook therefore I grow

chillimummy

« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2013, 20:53 »
Same as AnneB. Loads of green tomatoes in plastic greenhouse. Hoping will ripen over next couple of weeks. Need sun!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #468 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45 »
The only real let-down is the bush variety by the back door, Tiny Tim. This has been the best place for this type of tomato in the past, with a couple of very productive varieties grown over the last 4 years, that give a non-stop supply of tomatoes from July to September. But this year's plant has not produced that many tomatoes (lots of flowers, but many of them dropped off) and so far only three have ripened, while several have started to split.
you answered your own question ! "This has been the best place for this type of tomato in the past, with a couple of very productive varieties grown over the last 4 years" ;)

Aha! I see what you mean..... except, I grow them in pots, with fresh compost each year! I think it is because I planted the seeds too late (well, in fact, I planted some at the same time as usual, but they died because of the late cold spell!), so they had not established well before the 'heat' of the summer!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #469 on: September 13, 2013, 19:28 »
My tigerellas are nearly done, and the black russians look like they will all be red at once.  :nowink:  I have a fist-sized one for my dinner tonight with mozzarella and basil.

I don't know why, but the 100s&1000s have lost the thick skin and are now wonderfully thin and tart. Maybe it was the first flush of them. Picked 2 litres of them last night, plenty more on the bushes - definitely growing next year.

Growster...

« Reply #470 on: September 13, 2013, 23:45 »
Seven pounds this week, and signing up for 'Bruschettas Anonymous'...

It really has been a fabulous year for 'Sungold' first (greenhouse) and now 'Gardener's Delight'. Black Krim are great in casseroles etc.

They're all on their way out now, so possibly getting the final pickings over the next two weeks.

Bah!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #471 on: September 13, 2013, 23:47 »
Just as well they're finishing Growster, cos there's a lot of blight about now, as we start to live dangerously in these damp days  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2013, 19:48 »
I'm now experiencing the tomato version of the courgette/runner bean glut because my freezer is just about full of tomato sauces of various descriptions but there are still plenty ripening off - I'm away for a week's holiday at the end of the month so it's a race against time to either give them away, or find a new way to store them (this is not helped by the fact that I have also been looking after my neighbour's polytunnel while they are away on an extended holiday, and it too is filled with ripening toms - I've stuffed their freezer with their tomatoes and they're due back about 12 hours before I go on holiday, which doesn't seem to leave much time to find a solution!  ::))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2013, 19:58 »
I 've still got loads of green tomatoes on the plants ,would it be wise to take them off and let t .hem ripen off indoors ,in case of blight

Totty

« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2013, 20:46 »
Very dissapointed with sungold this year. Loads of fruit splitting, smaller fruits than usual. Growing Sakura instead if gardeners delight and it is the best new tom I've tried for ages. Very high crops of perfect quality fruit on very tidy plants. Highly recommended.

Totty

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #475 on: September 14, 2013, 21:20 »
My best tom is the grafted 'sweet million' - stunning flavour and thin skin.
Hope seed grown ones are as good for me next year.

BobE

« Reply #476 on: September 14, 2013, 22:39 »
I 've still got loads of green tomatoes on the plants ,would it be wise to take them off and let t .hem ripen off indoors.

Ive got three plants in one gh with loads of green toms on and I was wondering the same thing.  Should I leave them or bring them indoors.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #477 on: September 14, 2013, 22:42 »
All my Roma's are now in a tub with 3 ripe bananas - then I can make a lot of sauce!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #478 on: September 14, 2013, 22:48 »
I 've still got loads of green tomatoes on the plants ,would it be wise to take them off and let t .hem ripen off indoors.

Ive got three plants in one gh with loads of green toms on and I was wondering the same thing.  Should I leave them or bring them indoors.
I think I would bring them in now ! and as DBG said add a banana skin  :)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #479 on: September 14, 2013, 22:51 »
We always have left over over-ripe bananas (I only eat them green :D - and being on a diet, the chooks have had the really ripe ones lately rather than making cakes) - they work a treat for ripening toms. ;)

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:15
by 2peasinapod
xx
Will my toms die???

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 06:44
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 39 queries.