How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

AnneB

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #450 on: September 01, 2013, 08:26 »
Only had 4 ripe Essex Wonders so far. The rest are all green.  There are lots of the green ones though.   Weather forecast after today says that it will get warm and sunny again for at least a week after today.   Just hoping that will speed things up and blight doesn't land.  All are outside.

The Principe Borghese haven't got so many on as I'd expect.  However a Hungarian bush variety called Lima Korai looks great, as does a variety I got from Japan called Candlelight.  Unfortunately I didn't realise until I got it home and could look it up that it's an F1 variety I won't be able to keep seed from.  I would have chosen a different one, but I can't read Japanese script!

snowdrops

« Reply #451 on: September 01, 2013, 08:30 »
Picked 5lb of various types the other day,only had 1 or 2 at a time before. need to get in there & take some leaves off. Not really looked after them very well this year, as yet I haven't fed them,but I did mix chicken pellets in with the compost.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Headgardener22

« Reply #452 on: September 01, 2013, 17:13 »
Another 4kg today, mix of all sorts. :D

Got past the point where we can eat them all now (17kg altogether so far) going to have to start processing them. :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: September 01, 2013, 17:43 »
There is a possibility of a trace element deficiency, probably magnesium, but it's getting a bit late to worry about things like that now - they won't be producing any more new leaves unless there is something very unusual about the Wirral climate!

I should have qualified that statement by saying they won't be producing new leaves at this time of year if they have been properly pinched out and "stopped" to prevent further flower formation.
I've been given the task of looking after my neighbour's polytunnel while they are away (for 7 weeks  :ohmy:) - it's their first year using it and is basically full of tomato plants donated by myself and my other neighbour which were dumped in the dirt with a bucket of Growmore thrown at them and an overhead sprinkler system which was turned on if he remembered (although one evening he forgot to switch it off and was faced with a sort of cartoon flood scenario when he opened the door next morning!)

Suffice it to say that with no more care other than my every-other-day watering, the place is an absolute jungle of triffid-like side-shoots after 3 weeks - I've already picked scores of ripe Gardener's Delight and Red Alert tomatoes (many times over what either me or my other neighbour have harvested  :nowink:

I think I'm going to have to get in there with my secateurs to try to tame them somehow, although I'm not sure I can fight my way through without doing myself a mischief!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #454 on: September 01, 2013, 18:15 »
 :) My Alicante have decided to take off. The Plotfather picked 15lbs while I was living it up for 5 days in New York. He also picked 3 lbs Gardener's Delight which are in the garden. The plants are absolutely dripping with fruit. Haven't been to the 'lotment yet to see for myself.  :( Feeling a bit delicate with jet lag.

cotteswold

« Reply #455 on: September 01, 2013, 19:03 »
Yes - things are on the move - and with warm to come, maybe we'll be overdosed?

= Tim
toms forum.jpg

lettice

« Reply #456 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21 »
Have had a lot ripen over the last week.
Picking a bowlful of tomatoes everyday this week and two bowlfuls load this morning.
Sungold, Tigrella, San Marzano, Costoluto Fiorentino, Cuore di Bue, blooming Butcher, Tangella, Snowberry, Red Zebra, Golden cherry.
Still many that have not ripened yet, Moneymaker, Grape Cherry varieties, Tanaki, Golden peach and Sultana.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #457 on: September 07, 2013, 13:16 »
No toms for us anymore blight struck. But on a plus side we have lots of chutney to see us over winter this year, next year and the year after that  :lol: got a few greens left with funny bits  :ohmy: DS shouted one had a willy  :ohmy:  :blush: he is 15 he knows better. I don want florence running around shouting that.

cotteswold

« Reply #458 on: September 07, 2013, 13:24 »
Fried green tomatoes - yum!

= Tim

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #459 on: September 07, 2013, 16:05 »
I've just harvested over 7.5 kilos of cherry toms from my 4 outdoor plants  ??? I've already had 2 kilos off them an do here are still some left.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #460 on: September 07, 2013, 17:21 »
My home sown 'Roma VF' aren't looking very healthy once ripened.  :(
The look dull and tough and a bit powdery - the green powdery stuff that comes off the leaves rather than anything else) :unsure:

cotteswold

« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2013, 17:41 »
Photograph, RJR??

= Tim

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2013, 18:25 »
Photograph, RJR??

= Tim

I've put a photo in my diary. I now have 2 stock pots simmering away filled with cherry toms and a big tub in the fridge!

AnneB

« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00 »
Still living in hope that the hordes of green tomatoes will turn red some time in the next couple of weeks.

So far only 1 Essex Wonder plant has obliged.   Some of the others look promising though.....

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #464 on: September 12, 2013, 18:32 »
Not posted for ages... went on holdiay and came back to a greenhouse packed with foliage... in fact it had burst through a gap at the top and two plants were about 8' high.... I don't mind asking my neighbour to water my tomatoes, but didn't think I could go as far as asking him to keep them pruned back!

Anyway, not too much damage, and all are now well thinned out.

The Brown Berry is very productive, with 5 very good trusses. Had three or four tomatoes so far, but two full trusses should be ripe in the next week or so, I hope. One thing I would say it that this is listed as a cherry tomato, but some of the tomatoes are not far off golf-ball sized.

The four Currant Sweet Pea plants are a bit out of control, although the lower trusses have ripened well, and the tomatoes are deliciously sweet. But as the neame suggests, they are mostly very small, pea-to-marble sized.

The two Garden peach don't seem very productive, but were a bit 'assaulted' by the Currant Sweet Pea plants while I was away. But the first tomatoes are about to be picked, and I have to say, it's a lovely looking tomato - large and yellow with a faint pinkish streakiness.

And the two Lemon Plum have dozens and dozens of tomatoes on, but they look a long way from ripening.

The only real let-down is the bush variety by the back door, Tiny Tim. This has been the best place for this type of tomato in the past, with a couple of very productive varieties grown over the last 4 years, that give a non-stop supply of tomatoes from July to September. But this year's plant has not produced that many tomatoes (lots of flowers, but many of them dropped off) and so far only three have ripened, while several have started to split.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 18:41 by lazza »

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 12:22
by DD.
xx
my toms

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 13:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 39 queries.