How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Lardman

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #375 on: August 20, 2013, 22:00 »
I decided to shout some Anglo Saxon at the botrytis - which begs the question is that illegal as foul language isn't approved by them lot in Brussels as a pesticide  :lol:

I think I've got ahead of it for the time being, everything has had a short back and sides,  I'll live vicariously through NewShoots until I'm certain.  :nowink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #376 on: August 20, 2013, 22:05 »
I decided to shout some Anglo Saxon at the botrytis - which begs the question is that illegal as foul language isn't approved by them lot in Brussels as a pesticide  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Probably, but bet it made you feel a whole lot better  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #377 on: August 20, 2013, 22:09 »

From all my history lessons I think that Anglo Saxon came from that lot over there, in the first place, so they'll understand it - even if they don't like it  ::)  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2013, 00:10 »
Can you post a link to where you found this explanation from Medwyn Williams DBG?

(I may have misunderstood what you were saying but I've not heard about high nitrogen for tomatoes at any stage of growth before from anyone.)  :unsure:

It's from the link I posted previously on this thread  ;)

Thanks  :D
No idea how to post links! :blush:
I just read the whole article with interest

compostqueen

« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2013, 00:20 »
I read in my garden mag about using a high nitrogen liquid fertiliser for one or two feeds in August"" to push the plants on for the rest of the season; and then resume using a high potash tom fertiliser" 

I had some Vitafeed 301 which fit the bill so I used that today

I harvested two more Tigerellas today but they were tiny. Nothing else at all yet  :nowink:

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2013, 00:58 »
Mr Williams must know a bit about plant food - I mean look at the huge veg he's grown over the years!
Hence the interest in the article :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28 »
Mr Williams article is dated 1999 and I suspect he's no longer using Chempak No.10 now unless he bought an extremely large packet at the time!

Chempak products are now made by T&M, and I can find no "No.10", nor any current product with anything like the NPK values he mentions, even on the T&M/Chempak website (the Chempak range and the website are both, erm, extremely extensive and a little mind boggling, and I had to look for the actual NPK values elsewhere!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #382 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52 »
I happened to have separate feeds so I was lucky. Just used twice the amount of the nitrogen feed to a sprinkle of potash and watered well in.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: August 21, 2013, 09:55 »
Very true, Jay, but the advice should still be good from him, especially if the Potash helps with ripening ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2013, 10:20 »
This is what the pro's do - I won't comment because I don't really understand the reasons for the big differences between "tunnel grown" and "greenhouse grown" feeding regimes.

Think I'll just stick to my "Suttons Tomato Power Food" ( ::)) - it's got to be somewhere near to the right blend of nutrients, and certainly better than nothing!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #385 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30 »
Oops I forgot to attribute the quote in my last post

It was in the August 2013 issue of KG magazine, p8 Quick Jobs by Mike Thurlow, third bullet point  :)

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #386 on: August 21, 2013, 13:40 »
Just had some of my minibelles's fried on toast with a touch of garlic, thyme and parsley, mmmm mmmm  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #387 on: August 21, 2013, 13:46 »
I read in my garden mag about using a high nitrogen liquid fertiliser for one or two feeds in August"" to push the plants on for the rest of the season; and then resume using a high potash tom fertiliser" 

I harvested two more Tigerellas today but they were tiny. Nothing else at all yet  :nowink:

I saw that too and have spare potato fertiliser, so whizzed that up in a bottle of water and fed the toms once with it. The packet says it's high nitrogen with added potash. The toms seem happy enough.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2013, 19:56 »
I have 4 surviving Garden Delight. These were sowed mid April, rather late. I sowed some earlier (Feb - March) all died. Anyway, took a peek and found ONE turn red! There must be about 50 little green toms at the mo.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #389 on: August 21, 2013, 21:55 »

I call that wee  :lol:
I've had 4 gardener delights so far- my first crop ever!! and loads of Alicante and Alisa C and Roma on the way- No bottom rot thingy, but this year am making sure of calcium (BFB) and nettle juice (or wee  8)). I've even got banana skins doing their stuff :blink:

edit to change colour highlight - yellow was nearly invisible  :(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 21:57 by mumofstig »

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
What to do with my toms now?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 10:39
by mumofstig
xx
toms

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:09
by Thompson24

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 39 queries.