How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #330 on: August 15, 2013, 18:20 »
The smaller the tomato, and the greater the temperature and water variations, the more likely they are to split.

Trying to keep the GH/PT temperatures from reaching extremes, and avoiding alternately dehydrating and flooding your toms whether outdoors or indoors is about the most you can do.

(Split tomatoes if ripe are still perfectly edible as long as you eat them before mould starts to attack the edges of the split, although I have to admit that within reason I eat or cook them anyway!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2013, 18:27 »
Thanks for the info. They are cherry tomatoes and outdoors so I can't really do anything about the temperature or water other than to make surer they are watered when it is dry. Just have to hope the rest ripen soon - there are a few hundred on the plants  :mellow:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2013, 21:06 »
Nicely.

2 nearest are Moneymakers, then 2 Tigrella, then 2 SanMarzano.
Crikey!  :ohmy: 

Please share the details RT (growbag/feeding&watering regime etc), I am seriously impressed!  Mine have taken over the greenhouse and have no where near as much fruit.  In fact, I feel quite inadequate as a tomato mother now!  :( ::) :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2013, 22:32 »
Nicely.

Please share the details RT (growbag/feeding&watering regime etc), I am seriously impressed!  Mine have taken over the greenhouse and have no where near as much fruit.  In fact, I feel quite inadequate as a tomato mother now!  :( ::) :D

I too am feeling inadequate :(

On a happier note - the few 'Roma VF' toms (that didn't get blossom end rot) I grew from seed are starting to turn a peachy orange colour :)

But in general, apart from the gartenperle toms i haven't actually got many fruits -not even on the grafted.

Maybe the soil isn't deep enough - they're in the Tomorite growbags with growpots added. ???

BobE

« Reply #334 on: August 16, 2013, 00:20 »

Maybe the soil isn't deep enough - they're in the Tomorite growbags with growpots added. ???

Im using Tomorite extra deep growbags with growpots.  Ive put more compost into the central core.  But, I think the good harvest is because Im using the conservatory.  Its so much warmer overnight.  Ive been picking for two weeks whilst the three in the GH are still very green. (Also in growpots on growbags).  I may be wrong but I think its down to overnight temperature.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #335 on: August 16, 2013, 09:45 »
Nicely.

Big pots with bottoms totally removed, sitting on a grow bag with holes cut out where pots sit. Three smaller pots fitted in the same way per grow bag between toms to make sure roots get plenty of water.
A litre of water per plant (into the pot itself) in the mornings and make sure the small pots keep the growbag well moist. More water in the afternoon according to the weather. If it's been really hot, probably another litre.

Feed with the Levingtons slow release pellets, three to a pot. Occasional liquid feed to supplement, perhaps once a week or so. Used at a dilution of 5ml to a litre, giving each plant a third of a litre. My outside toms which haven't been fed with the pellets get half a litre of liquid feed at this dilution every morning with more plain water added mid day and again late afternoon as dictated by the weather conditions.

I always add a little bit of potash and crushed eggshells to the final potting mix.

When doing seedlings, I only do one per pot in a half pint plastic pot. As the seedling grows, I add potting mix around the plant. This saves moving the plants to repot them deeper as they grow. I find this give a good hefty root system, which I think is a big part of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:53 by A Reyt Tayty »

snowdrops

« Reply #336 on: August 16, 2013, 10:05 »
Deeply impressed ARTy. If I could have that many on each plant I wouldn't need so many plants. :blink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2013, 12:45 »
I've made a note of that for next year.
Thanks ;) :)

Growster...

« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2013, 22:22 »
Gave all ours a feed today - Tomorite, nettle and comfrey tea.

Greenhouse toms are everywhere up to six trusses, and bruschettas are just the norm almost every day... Mrs G picked a huge Black Krim today, and mixed it it with the others, and the colour was divine!

So far this year, so good eh? Still could change though, so fingers crossed!

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2013, 23:33 »
I've been very pleased with the yield of my tomato plants. The two beefsteaks have been relentless; keeping both my family and an elderly neighbour in big tomatoes for weeks :) I'm disappointed in the alicante though, as they are quite small and very slow to ripen, I've barely had any alicante at all so I'm hoping they're going to end up extending my season if not cropping well right now. Otherwise I won't bother with them next year.

My beefsteaks doing so well has led to some problems however. The weight of the fruit is causing the plants to lean forward, it's bending the bamboo canes and I've been forced to add additional canes in an effort to keep them upright. I actually found one of the plants had fallen over one particularly windy day and two undeveloped tomatoes had broken off, which thankfully ripened in the fruit bowel. These are 44cm pots, so it takes some weight to knock them over.

Will have to rethink my supports next year if it is anything like this.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 23:34 by GreyScales »

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2013, 18:44 »
2 orange ones now..officially colour checked :D :D

lettice

« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2013, 10:12 »
My tomatoes are having a great year in greenhouse and outside.
For red ones, been picking Tigerella and Red Zebra this week
Other red varieties cropping well, but green at mo are Moneymaker, Christmas grape, sultana, tamaki, tangella and blooming butcher.
Picked a good crop today of snowberry yellow toms, and sungold/golden cherry orange toms.
Have some yellow garden peach cropping but still green.

My Italian ones are cropping very well too, loads, but all green at mo of San Marzano, Cuore di Bue and Costoluto Fiorentino

Springlands

« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2013, 18:13 »
One sweet million is finally beginning to turn - will be keeping a close eye on it.  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: August 19, 2013, 14:26 »
Sweet million (grafted) have just turned - had the first one today and it is amazingly sweet.
Not bad skin thickness either but I don't want to pay for grafted toms next year.

Glad I didn't pay for the extra vigour of grafted Sweet Million DBG - these were my two plants a few days ago, grown from seed and clearly not happy with having to put up with a mere 8X6 greenhouse!  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2013, 14:56 »
I'm glad my grafted toms were free - yours look way better than mine Jay!! ::) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
Which Toms ?

Started by Dill The Dog on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 13:09
by digalotty
xx
toms

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 18:09
by Thompson24

Page created in 0.966 seconds with 39 queries.