How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08 »
I've only had blossom end rot on one plant out of 14. They all get watered the same amount at the same time each day. That doesn't quite fit in with the regular and enough watering bit does it.  :blink:I water twice a day. A litre each in the morning, then some more late afternoon. The amount in the afternoon depends upon the temps and amount of sun. The majority are fed with the plugs of tomato food. The ones with liquid feed, I feed every day. 5ml of feed in a litre of water, and give each plant a third of a litre per day. My problem now is the fruit splitting as they ripen. May need to cut back on the watering, especially the afternoon one.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2013, 09:22 »
Super, I'm really impressed, no problems yet but one was split yesterday so need to do a good water.
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2013, 09:35 »
I find that the larger tomatoes are more likely to get BER than the smaller ones, which is probably explained by the fact they take longer to grow and are therefore at risk for longer from something not being quite right with their growing conditions (usually watering.)
Not easy to guarantee it doesn't happen no matter how careful you are though. I've had to chuck a few Inca plums with BER, one truss on just one plant, the others are all fine, and all are growing in what appear to be identical conditions (even sharing the same home-made pallet trough.)  :unsure:

When it comes to splitting, I find that cherry types are more prone - their small size probably means that changing pressures in the fruits due to temperature and water variations are much harder to contain without the skins giving way.
Sungold suffered more splitting than Sweet Million last year - this year could be the same although the Sweet Million are only just starting to ripen............
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2013, 10:06 »
I've got some BER too  :nowink:  It's never been a problem before but you win some .....

I had one more ripe Tigerella yesterday. Just the one. My sum total is now 3  :tongue2:  I have thousands of green tomatoes though  ::) Sigh

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2013, 13:59 »
Are some varieties more susceptible to blossom-end rot? I've had to throw away most of my Rio Grande because of it (won't be growing them again) but everything else is fine.

My Rio Grande have never suffered with BER.
The first truss of San Marzano, however, got it every year - so I stopped growing those, and grow more Rio Grande  ::)

Cherries splitting? I'd rather have thin skins that can split sometimes, than the thick-skinned ones which were bred for the supermarkets  ???

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2013, 17:35 »
My Lizzano's are definitely ripening now - got another 6 today, 20 orangey ones and the others are turning a lighter green so I don't think it will be long!

paulsa

« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2013, 21:01 »
I'm quite relieved really reading these posts I thought I should have some ripe ones by now but they are still green (slightly lighter green though) Gardeners delight.  But it looks like I'm not alone.
 ;)
I know it's not an Allotment.

Steveharford

« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2013, 21:09 »
I shouldn't worry about it PAulsa. I'm picking but strangely only from my outdoor toms (red alert mainly). However I just took away a good bag of ripe ones from my out-laws which are greenhouse varieties which I gave them as small plants and they are way ahead of mine. Must be the light I say !

Headgardener22

« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2013, 00:18 »
Are some varieties more susceptible to blossom-end rot? I've had to throw away most of my Rio Grande because of it (won't be growing them again) but everything else is fine.

My Rio Grande have never suffered with BER.
The first truss of San Marzano, however, got it every year - so I stopped growing those, and grow more Rio Grande  ::)

Cherries splitting? I'd rather have thin skins that can split sometimes, than the thick-skinned ones which were bred for the supermarkets  ???
Interesting about BER, its something I've never really had a problem with until this year and Rio Grande. Maybe I'll try them again next year just to see if they do it again.

The only toms that I find split are Black Cherry. But I cut back on watering once the toms start to ripen, about halving the amount of water. I also water a little every day. Seems to work for me.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2013, 06:30 »
My haul yesterday.  Only been picking the Latah and Maskotka that I have outdoors so far, but yesterday the first beefsteak Chocolate Cherokee from the greenhouse was ready  :)  Had it as part of my salad for tea  :D

I have had a couple of fruits in the greenhouse with BER, but the rest seem fine so far.

Growster...

« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2013, 06:52 »
That's a great pic, News, and you will have a well deserved Bruschetta from them?

Lovely to see the success stories with toms here, and sorry to learn of a few failures, but there's still plenty of time to get the trusses away!

I haven't heard of either of your first two types, so excellent all round methinks!

Congrats are due!

MrsLev

« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2013, 07:18 »
Ok I have a little question: in previous years I've only grown 1 or 2 plants and they've all ripened slowly until there were only a couple of green tons left right at the end of the season that just went into the compost. Now this year I've got 4 very healthy looking plants with a total of over 120 viable green toms and about the same in tinies that might amount to something. They're ripening at a rate of one a day so far, but do regular growers have a cut off point where they make green tomato chutney?
Sorry if this is a bit rambly I have a 3 year old beside me listing all the issues he has with his fruit and fibre....

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10 »
I have one Sweet Million (grafted) tom just turning orangey! :D
Still a million to go! ::) :lol:

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #298 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19 »
Picked another 3 Latah yesterday - I have to say they're a nice tasting tomato. Looking forward to tasting my first GD and the Amish Paste I'm growing.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #299 on: August 09, 2013, 09:21 »
I have discovered a site that sells all your strangely named unheard of toms everyone so look out next year! 8)

Just need a second or bigger greenhouse though :unsure:

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
What's up with these toms?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 10:52
by Mike.white
xx
My Toms :(

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 22:07
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 39 queries.