How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Totty

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2013, 17:33 »
I keep removing leaves and feeding every day. All ripening ow.

Totty
image.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2013, 20:28 »
It does really come down to the number of plants we grow, doesn't it!

Our Sungold collection (10 plants) now does about eight fruits total each day, the rest of the plants which are Gardener's Delight and the dreaded Black Krim, are mainly outside in various locations, which are sometimes difficult to find...

Get 'em while you can, they may just revolt and cause mayhem...

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2013, 20:31 »
You feed them every day Totty?
I thought I might be overdoing it feeding 3 times a week ???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2013, 20:36 »
You need to be careful about overdosing with tomato feed, as too much of one nutrient can lock the plant up and prevent it from absorbing other nutrients which it requires.

The dosage rates are there for a good reason  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #274 on: August 06, 2013, 20:48 »
You need to be careful about overdosing with tomato feed, as too much of one nutrient can lock the plant up and prevent it from absorbing other nutrients which it requires.

Absolutely, Yorkie! You're dead right!

Little and often, although they sometimes say every other watering, which is confusing in this hot spell.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2013, 20:53 »
Three Mazkotkas just turning orange now. Outdoors but with a small polytunnel thing over them.  About twelve fully ripe cherries from unnamed variety in pots which were the results of my overwintering sideshoots experiments. Lots more on these waiting to ripen.  One ripe Sweet Million - outdoors. The other few million still forming and/or waiting to ripen.  Lots of plum toms on outdoor plants - but the packet said they were cherry plums - they arent!

Totty

« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2013, 23:07 »

I throw a cupful of comfrey stink into the can every time I fill it for the toms. Once a week I'll give them some nettle stink instead.
Maybe twice in the season I'll give a feed of phostrogen.
All theses feeds are really dilute, and I prefer the idea of them being trickled with feed, rather than one or two big punches of nutrient every week. They are only fed this regularly while in full fruit mode, when they have been cropping for a while there are less toms to grow and ripen therefore need less feed.

Totty

oldcow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24 »
I had my first Marmande yesterday (first time I grow them, I'll definitely grow them again, they're delicious). I've been harvesting Sungold, Minibell and Gardener's Delight for a couple of weeks now. The Albenga has started to turn, but the Alsa Craig is full of fruit but all stubbornly green (and for some reason a lot of the fruits on it have started to look all wrinkled).

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2013, 18:53 »
 :( I'm gutted. Popped to the 'lotment today( 1st visit since Friday) to see what was going on. I had to throw away about 4 lbs of toms 'cos they have blossom end rot. What do I do now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2013, 18:58 »
Make sure you water enough, and regularly - then new ones should grow without rot ;)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2013, 19:10 »
 :) Thanks Mum. I thought as much but it's difficult to judge the amount of watering.

Growster...

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2013, 20:06 »
:( I'm gutted. Popped to the 'lotment today( 1st visit since Friday) to see what was going on. I had to throw away about 4 lbs of toms 'cos they have blossom end rot. What do I do now?

Were they ripe, Fair?

You could still keep some of the untouched flesh if you need something for the plate, or even for chutney, if they're still green!

Poor you - irregular watering is the prime suspect, and a busy schedule just doesn't account for some nasties in nature I'm afraid!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2013, 20:08 »

Mine have just gone in ! :ohmy:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2013, 21:38 »

Were they ripe, Fair?

You could still keep some of the untouched flesh if you need something for the plate, or even for chutney, if they're still green! Poor you - irregular watering is the prime suspect, and a busy schedule just doesn't account for some nasties in nature I'm afraid!
Some were ripe but most green. I did think of cutting the good green for chutney but I have no time 'til Tuesday 'cos the Plotfather is 70 at the weekend and we're having a party! :D Just have to improve my watering regime and see if that improves the situation.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 22:13 by mumofstig »

Headgardener22

« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2013, 22:38 »
Are some varieties more susceptible to blossom-end rot? I've had to throw away most of my Rio Grande because of it (won't be growing them again) but everything else is fine.

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
What's up with these toms?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 10:52
by Mike.white
xx
In toms V out toms.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:53
by superpete

Page created in 0.507 seconds with 39 queries.