How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2013, 19:09 »
Have never made chutney either so would like to grow suitable verities if anyone has any  suggestions?   :)  8)

Any varieties are good for chutney. All our remaining unripe tomatoes go into chutney every year!! In a good year, we get a couple of jars... last year we got 6 jars!  ::)

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2013, 19:42 »
A few tomato related questions if I may?

I was inspecting one of my ripening beefsteaks when I noticed it has almost completely rotted on the plant. I of course removed it swiftly, but is this anything that can spread to the others? I see no signs of infection on the leaves or elsewhere on the plant.

Regarding my out of control alicante. I know you can prune small suckers without any issue, but are there disease or any other concerns about lobbing off the ends of branches? There is a nice truss here on one of the grown suckers, and I would rather the plant concentrated on that than lengthening and producing more flowers further down the branch; making the plant more unstable. I'd like to lob off the branch above the truss, but any objections?

Just a novelty. Has anyone ever seen a branch growing out the end of a truss before? I haven't, it's a new one to me :lol: If the above is ok, I'll be cutting this off as well as I would rather not have an entire branch plus flowers/toms threatening this truss.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2013, 19:57 »
The top one may be a bad case of blossom end rot, caused by irregular watering. Could also be botrytis - so keep your eye out for any more mouldy bits you see  :unsure:

You can prune them a bit, usually below the truss that is ripening - but pinch of the leaves growing from the end of the fruit truss.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this
There is a nice truss here on one of the grown suckers, and I would rather the plant concentrated on that than lengthening and producing more flowers further down the branch; making the plant more unstable. I'd like to lob off the branch above the truss, but any objections?

can you try to explain again so this dim-wit can understand, cos the photo doesn't seem to help me understand either  :wacko:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 20:06 »
can you try to explain again so this dim-wit can understand, cos the photo doesn't seem to help me understand either  :wacko:

Sorry!  :D

I missed some suckers on one of my alicante plants a while back and they grew too big for me to be comfortable removing them, without causing too much damage. Rather annoyingly these are growing sideways, so the plant is unbalanced and is reliant on its surroundings to support it.

On one of these suckers is the truss shown, but of cause it's still growing longer and producing more flowers further along. I'd like to prune the end off it so that the plant can concentrate on that truss at the end of the branch, rather than growing it even longer and becoming even more unbalanced; as well as draining more nutrients from existing tomatoes.

I was just checking if it would be ok to do this without impacting the plants health too much, as cutting a piece of branch off is a bit more serious than just pulling a sucker off.

-edit

Know what, this is probably a silly question. There is always the risk of infection when taking off anything including suckers, and I know what will happen if I don't nip the ends off.

Thanks for the answers mumofstig :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 20:27 by GreyScales »

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 21:49 »
not bad bit of leaf roll due to the temp.

Cherry tomatoes looking great lots of flowers and very bushy growth..... Beef tomatoes looks more bare only really getting flowers towards the top.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2013, 22:03 »
Cut it off after the truss that will stop it  :)
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2013, 22:17 »
Rather annoyingly these are growing sideways, so the plant is unbalanced and is reliant on its surroundings to support it.

it's now a double cordon.............. you should give the extra stem its own cane, and turn it gently upwards so it grows like this..........

If you feed and water it enough it will produce a lot of fruit.

You can prune it but leave one set of leaves above the truss, so the sap continues upwards  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 22:45 by mumofstig »

Totty

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2013, 22:29 »
I have a Shirley plant that has gone double. It split at about 3ft and the two tops are growing identically. I'll get some pics.

Totty

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2013, 22:46 »
Hi GreyScales  re 20.06 I've done the same with my Alicante but have staked the sideways growth and pinched it out above the 1st truss. I must get the pinching out right!!!!!!!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2013, 00:41 »
My 100s & 1000s have gone mad
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2013, 08:00 »
My 100s & 1000s have gone mad with flowers, just like that, but no sign of actual tomatoes  :dry: Gartenperle last year were much better.

This morning I have the first red tomato  ::) :D on a Kibbitz and that's outside  :nowink: c'mon you spoilt greenhouse tomatoes - get a move on!

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2013, 17:20 »
On closer inspection yellowing of the lower leaves?

Magnesium deficiency? or virus? or something else...

Rubbish pic but any help would be appreciated.
DSC_0767.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2013, 18:03 »
Yellowing of lower leaves is usually just old age  ;) Nothing to worry about - just remove bottom leaves  :)

strider84

• Experienced Member
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2013, 18:19 »
Phew ! :)

Thank you

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2013, 19:16 »
Answer to Grey Scales question three. Yes I have had branches growing out of the end of trusses. Several last year but I've forgotten what variety they were. Tomatoes can do all kinds of crazy things. Thats why I love growing them.  Never a dull moment.   

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
My Toms :(

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 22:07
by mumofstig
xx
Put my toms out

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:22
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.708 seconds with 39 queries.