How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

karen.linda

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 15:52 »
Thank you, peeps, for your tomato suggestions for next year.  We bought these Gardener's Delight as plants from a garden centre in February but they grew so large so quickly before the weather warmed up - Next year I will get some seeds and grow a couple of varieties  - we don't want many plants though (only the two of us + dogs)  hence buying plants.  I figure if I want to make some sauces I can freeze some as well so it wont matter if we have too many  :) 

As I posted before, mine in the greenhouse are producing well - however their leaves don't look so lovely as those posted!  Mine are curling upwards a bit - too much heat?
Heck, yes,  I'm SHORT.  God only lets things grow until they're PERFECT. Some of us didn't take as long as others  :-)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 16:21 »
Thanks Mum will try them next year  :)
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 16:28 »
Mine are curling upwards a bit - too much heat?
It's because there is a big difference between day and nighttime temperatures , nothing to worry about  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2013, 16:29 »
Can't match Greyscales achievements in any shape or form (especially given his location on Merseyside) but mine are doing OK now (certainly better than this time last year.)

Red Alert X2: in a cold frame (lids off!) The usual rampant growth (it's a bush type) and blight permitting will probably be the most productive of all yet again. First toms setting now.

Inca plum X4: in the greenhouse - they ALL had curly leaves to start with which tended to brown and shrivel up and I feared the worst, but they seem to be recovering now that I have fed them and provided a bit of shade (they were at the sunniest rather than the shadiest end this year...............) Lots of fruit setting despite the setback.

Sungold X2 and Sweet Million X3: in the greenhouse - looking good, although some of them have produced a new leader from the base and I obviously missed a few side-shoots so they are semi-bush (or semi-cordon  :unsure: ) so I'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't set too many fruit to develop and ripen properly. Just starting to set fruit now.

All of them needed feeding well before flowers appeared - I don't think there can have been too much in the way of nutrients in the Verve compost I used, and I have also had tomato seedlings popping up amongst my plants which can't possibly have been accidentally sown by me, so maybe it wasn't as sterile as it should have been either........
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 16:35 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2013, 16:31 »
Yup - my Verve was weedy  :dry:

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2013, 17:55 »
Goodness knows why mine are doing better than some people down south, it's not experience I assure you :lol: I was actually worried most of May about them getting root bound and stunted because they were indoors so long, I guess the new conservatory helped a lot in keeping them healthy.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2013, 19:29 »
Going slowly, only just got flowers, even though they were sowed months ago and potted into grobags some time ago.

BUT on some of the plants a couple of their stems have fused together to form a larger, misformed stem. Looks odd, but there are flowers on the plants.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2013, 19:59 »
Goodness knows why mine are doing better than some people down south, it's not experience I assure you :lol: I was actually worried most of May about them getting root bound and stunted because they were indoors so long, I guess the new conservatory helped a lot in keeping them healthy.

They are really quite impressive! Hope it makes up for the rhubarb  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2013, 22:59 »
I'm getting impatient waiting for my Tigerellas to ripen so I've dangled banana skins over the plant.

Not a single fruit formed on any of the others tomatoes though.  Sigh

AnneB

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2013, 07:39 »
Small tomatoes appearing plus more flowers on my Essex Wonder plants.  The others are taking much more time about it.   Of the rest, Cuban Flower are looking good but no flowers yet.   My Lima Korai are quite small but just getting flowers, I haven't grown these before and they are a bush variety so not sure how big they get.  Oddly both of these and my Candlelight tomatoes from Japan have been nibbled by snails this year.
Other varieties I am growing are Golden Grape, Principe Borghese, Aranyalma and Gardener's Delight.   No flowers on these yet.

I can't find out whether the Candlelight toms are bush or cordon as I can't read the Japanese script on the packet.   They are looking a bit bush like at the moment.  They are a small orange plum type.

All growing outside - the greenhouse hasn't quite materialised just yet.  Progress though, a space is being cleared for it. 

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2013, 09:58 »
Have 3 5ft alicante's sitting on the patio with quite a few fruit on and more flowers coming, keep finding them having a lie down though, who knew tomato's were so bloomin' lazy!!  :D 5 minibels fruiting like mad and 2 unknowns that seem to be a bit behind the rest and thanks to this decent spell of weather, my tumblers are ready for the hanging baskets now  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

Stree

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2013, 13:50 »
Problem with mine...
I have 10 ( different varieties) in the greenhouse that are over 6 feet now. That would be OK except the are in Gbags and big pots on the staging which itself is 3 feet hight, making 9 feet to the top of the plants. No sign of slowing down yet, the stems are like Ann Widdicombes thighs.
Lots of flowers though and quite a few toms.
Should be an interesting crop and an even more interesting time trying to harvest them.
Black truffle (16 oz) yellow Brandywine, White cherry, Marglobe, Sweetie, Sweet Pea Currant and a gardeners Delight.
The ones outside are not far behind but they are on the ground.
So much for stopping the Black Truffle and Brandywine at  four or five trusses.
Ah well, let nature take its course.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 14:20 »
 :) Alicante just setting fruit.  Gardener's delight........ still waiting for anything  :( Don't think I'll bother with these again.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2013, 19:05 »
I planted 6 varieties, but then mixed them up during watering, sowed too many so gave lots away, so have no clue which i have left. all flowers but no fruit. They got wind damaged two weeks ago and have been tempramental for a couple of week, turning yellow and curiling leaves,hope they fruit :)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2013, 19:06 »
Update:

1 x Brown Berry - in the greenhouse, about 120cm tall, around 30 flowers and the first mini tomato
4 x Currant sweet pea - in the greenhouse, about 140cm tall, still very gangly but two very flowery branches (cordons?) on each one
2 x Garden peach - in the greenhouse, about 100cm tall, and still two lots of flowers on each.
1 x Tiny tim - outside the back door against the south-facing wall, going mad! probably about 40 flowers on it now!
2 x Lemon Plum - in the greenhouse, about 100cm tall, 1 has one lot of buds, the other has buds and flowers

Getting excited! :lol:

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen
xx
Toms

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 08:15
by Growing4mykids

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 38 queries.