How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

karen.linda

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2013, 21:05 »
I have three Gardeners Delight in the greenhouse, all of which have reached the top!  Admittedly they were left a little bit long in their pots indoors waiting for the outside (unheated greenhouse)  to warm up so first truss is a bit high.  Having said that I have now picked 8 splendid tomatoes in total and many, many more on the way. 

Next year I would like to try something a bit different - maybe a beefsteak or something unusual.... We eat a lot of tomato based sauces and would like to make my own.  Have never made chutney either so would like to grow suitable verities if anyone has any  suggestions?   :)  8)
Heck, yes,  I'm SHORT.  God only lets things grow until they're PERFECT. Some of us didn't take as long as others  :-)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2013, 21:21 »
For sauces Roma  :)
I cook therefore I grow

karen.linda

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2013, 21:23 »
For sauces Roma  :)

Thanks - Noted  :)

Lardman

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2013, 21:36 »
Those of you suffering - here you are, something to make you feel better.

Normally I grow in compost in sunken pots, this year I've tried growing direct in the border.
Waste_of_space_toms.jpg

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2013, 00:29 »

Beefsteak Legend, though I think one of the larger ones may have blossom end rot. I don't know if it does or it just has a particularly ugly "bottom" as beefsteaks tend to have :unsure:

A completely out of control alicante, because I missed a few suckers and they became too big to remove without causing too much damage :lol: Thankfully the other plants are supporting it.

Some of my tumbling toms have started to ripen, but I've forgotten which are supposed to be yellow or red plants. Soon find out!

Hundreds and thousands are the only tomatoes I've harvested thus far, but only one or two are ripe at a time and "someone" snatches them as soon as they're ready.

My "spares" are sat around the corner, mostly alicante, lots of flowers and a few small tomatoes developing. They're not getting enough light back there, but as I said in my introduction post; garden space is fought over. Apparently I'm at my limit for 'visible from conservatory' tomato plants  :dry:

Sarahm

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 11:46 »
The very late start to the Irish spring coupled with and ant attack on my greenhouse seedlings really set my tomatoes back a  few weeks.  I have black cherry, tumbler and sweet and neat.  All of them have just started to show the first toms and seem to be progressing well.  Hopefully the heatwave over the next week will give them the boost they need.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 15:18 »
Cossacks have reached the top of the blowaway and it looks like we'll be limited to four (maybe five at a push) trusses. In fact I'm tempted to let a side shoot grow to see if it can set an extra truss. First two trusses have fruit swelling althoug not up to size yet.

Gartenperle in hanging baskets have plenty of fading blooms but no sign of fruit yet. One has been hosting an aphid convention recently so fingers crossed we get something.
Never stop learning

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 17:12 »
I've 4 100s&1000s/gartenperle (labels fell off!) in the culticaves and all are covered in flowers. Black Russian and Green Zebra have flowers and no fruit, tomatillo has some small fruit and lots and lots of side shoots which I forgot to sort out.

Last year all my toms got blight, so this year is already very very exciting!

Headgardener22

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59 »

Next year I would like to try something a bit different - maybe a beefsteak or something unusual.... We eat a lot of tomato based sauces and would like to make my own.  Have never made chutney either so would like to grow suitable verities if anyone has any  suggestions?   :)  8)
There are thousands of different cultivars, i try to grow at least 5 new varieties every year. My most favourite beefsteak is Summer Cider which is apricot coloured and tastes really excellent. But its quite late. Look around on the internet, there are lots of sites where people describe different tomatoes and you can buy seeds and even plants from amateur growers.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2013, 08:52 »
Grey Scales I am seething with jealousy. How do you do it?
Mine are little and spindly esp the Ferline. The black russians are a little better but still only 2 plants have flowers. The only good 'uns are the F1 Tumblers, which are in pots in my back yard,cthey are covered in flowers and green fruit.
Despite the really warm weather here in London there hasn't been much catch up growth on the allotment as far as I can see.

Debz

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2013, 11:31 »
They are catching up in this heat at long last.  The plants themselves are quite short but chunky with plenty of flowers.  I am just waiting for the first fruits to appear but don't think it will be too long.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 12:15 »
i am using the structure in teh picture this eyar for the first time and they are looking good. a few weeks behind but flowers are now coming out.
tomsCapture.JPG

Agatha

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 13:39 »
Sorry Lardman, your photo doesn't make ME feel better...your plants are twice the size of mine and they ALL seem to have FLOWERS  >:(.  (Not that it's getting to me...)
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Beano

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 13:52 »
For sauces Roma 
I love Roma tomatoes for cooking. They are full of flavour, hardly any pips and the skins are nice and thin. Just simply grilled with a little basil and olive oil, HEAVEN on a plate.
El.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 14:01 »
We eat a lot of tomato based sauces and would like to make my own.  Have never made chutney either so would like to grow suitable verities if anyone has any  suggestions?     

My fav for cooking is Rio Grande
Similar in shape to Roma but more productive
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/TOMATO_RIO_GRANDE/p1834925_8313035.aspx

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 21:15
by HuwG
xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 38 queries.