How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

BobE

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2013, 22:54 »
We always have left over over-ripe bananas (I only eat them green :D - and being on a diet, the chooks have had the really ripe ones lately rather than making cakes) - they work a treat for ripening toms. ;)

OK, TY Sparky and DBG.  I was wondering what to do.  Thanks.

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #481 on: September 15, 2013, 17:35 »

I think it is fair to say this is my last tomato harvest of the season from the back garden, given the direction of the weather. We picked everything with a hint of colour, nothing has been ripening more outdoors due to the cold and gloomy weather.

Will try to ripen them more indoors, otherwise I think some preserves are in order. Still tons of green ones out there.

BobE

« Reply #482 on: September 15, 2013, 17:43 »
Ive brought in 10 green three with a hint of colour.  Ive put them into a bowl with a bannana in it.  I will report back on this.

AnneB

« Reply #483 on: September 15, 2013, 20:02 »
I am still hanging in there with my green toms.  The Lima Kurai, the Essex Wonder and the Candlelight all look as if they are just about to turn.   The rest are stubbornly green.

Weather terrible at the moment but the forecast says it will improve a bit at the end of the week.

Ripe bananas at the ready.  Especially for the massive Cuban Flower.  I have 8 of these on 2 plants, 7 smaller but one ginormous specimen.   It just has to go red.....

chillimummy

« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2013, 20:16 »
I too have loads of green tomatoes outside in plastic greenhouse. A few are turning. Tomatoes indoors have had quite a few ripen but lots still green.
AnneB am in Bradford same as you. Shall I perservere and hope will ripen?  ??? ???   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

AnneB

« Reply #485 on: September 15, 2013, 20:42 »
Well it's a bit of a gamble, but I am not one for giving up!

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #486 on: September 15, 2013, 20:53 »
I noticed a fair few of mine are getting eaten by wildlife, looking for something to chomp on with the declining food supply as we enter Autumn, especially my yellow tumbling toms...

So I really cannot risk waiting in hope they'll fully ripen outside eventually, something will have gnawed into them long before then.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #487 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47 »
Most of mine are inside on the windowsill now as the night time temperatures are getting low and mine were getting chomped as well.  Have picked everything that is not really small and green.  They do usually ripen, but it takes a while  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #488 on: September 16, 2013, 07:36 »
Can you hang branches of tumblers upside-down inside for the toms to ripen? I have a lot of tiny greenish toms on the 100s&1000s and picking them individually will take ages.

Headgardener22

« Reply #489 on: September 16, 2013, 16:41 »
I too have loads of green tomatoes outside in plastic greenhouse. A few are turning. Tomatoes indoors have had quite a few ripen but lots still green.
AnneB am in Bradford same as you. Shall I perservere and hope will ripen?  ??? ???   

Personally I'd leave them. I leave tomatoes in the polytunnel until I want the space for something else or there are no tomatoes left. In 2011 I was still picking ripening beefsteak until the end of November with no heat or anything like that, they just survived.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #490 on: September 16, 2013, 17:48 »
Assuming they stay botrytis free - that's what I do  :)

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #491 on: September 16, 2013, 21:30 »
Had to clear all my toms today clearly got blight except the yellow stuffer which is a few metres away from the rest. Hopefully they will hang on till they ripen up a bit.

AnneB

« Reply #492 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36 »
At last!  They are all going red, and orange and yellow, depending on variety.   I have had pickings every day this week.  Just hope that having got this far the predicted cold snap arriving tomorrow doesn't do for them.   No frost forecast yet though.    Really pleased to have survived with no blight this year, all are outdoors.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #493 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17 »
Hmmm.... just posted an update on the wrong thread, I think....

So, as for the experiment with 5 new varieties, I think I've had mixed results:

The brown berry (1 plant) gave good yields, and they were the first to ripen on the plant, so have given tomatoes through the last couple of months.
The lemon plum (2 plants) was by weight the most productive, but has so far given only one ripe tomato!
The tiny tim (1 plant) was disappointing compared to previous bush varieties I've grown - yields were good and tomatos tasty, but very slow to ripen, and quite tough skins
The garden peach (2 plants) was not very productive or fast ripening, but taste superb and look even better (the nicest looking tomato I have grown!)
And the currant sweet pea (4 plants) gave huge numbers of tomatos which ripened quickly with a lovely taste, but because of the small size of tomatos produced, and the massive size of the plants (three of them escaped out of the top of the greenhouse while I was on holiday and were a good 3' above the top), were probably not all that productive.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:19 by lazza »

Headgardener22

« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2013, 20:19 »
My tomatoes are just about over  :(. There's about 2kgs of green tomatoes on a few of the plants left but overall this year seems to have been a very short but productive season. The first tomato was at the end of July so its only been 11 weeks long.

In previous years, I've been picking beefsteak tomatoes through until mid-November but this year they're all finished (ripe) now. No need for any bananas to ripen them or anything, they've just ripened themselves on the vines.

I've been "good" and weighed them as I picked (something I've tried to do in previous years and failed). Just over 70kgs of fruit.

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen
xx
Toms......in or out?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 14:55
by Trillium

Page created in 1.797 seconds with 38 queries.