How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #390 on: August 21, 2013, 23:13 »
Hi. :)
We have 3 types of toms growing this yr, all from seed. In the unheated greenhouse we have 2 Alacanti plants & 2 Roma plants, we know Roma are outside plants but we had nowhere to put them outside, we also have 2 Tumbling tom plants in a 16" deep hanging basket. All of them have grown very well & have loads of green fruit on them but none have turned red yet. :( The greenhouse is south facing & the plants are well watered & feed at least twice a week with tom' food. We did cover the greenhouse with fleece when it was really hot last month but that was taken off again last week. Hope there soon going to ripen otherwise we're going to have a lot of green chutney to make.  ???
Keith/Sharon

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2013, 16:06 »
Growing Sun Gold (5 plants) and Shirley (3 plants). Sun Gold are beautifully sweet and producing an abundance!
However the Shirley variety (lots of them)  are just starting to ripen and do not have much taste and texture is a bit soft. Not impressed with them at all. anyone else had experience of Shirley?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 16:07 by heygrow »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2013, 16:09 »
Shirley is usually good - I think a lot of them will be a bit woolly and tasteless this year because they've taken sooooo long to ripen.
The later set trusses may be nicer  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: August 22, 2013, 16:21 »
I've had quite a few Sweet Million, with a huge number still to go hopefully, and quite a few Sungold too.

It's unfortunate that the Sungold are by far the tastiest of the two to my tastebuds because just about every one of them has split (none of the SM's have!)

Don't forget any of the details about your tomato crops folks (another reminder!  ;))

Now is hopefully (still!) a good time to ask all tomato growers to make a note of how their different varieties have performed this year, particularly as far as taste and yield are concerned, as I will hopefully resurrect the Home Grown Tomato Survey (probably sometime in October.)
Last year was so poor blight and weather-wise there seemed little point trying to run it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #394 on: August 22, 2013, 16:29 »
Have noticed green/white specks on some of the alicante's when they've ripened, any idea's grateful  :) thanks
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2013, 16:45 »
I've had quite a few Sweet Million, with a huge number still to go hopefully, and quite a few Sungold too.

It's unfortunate that the Sungold are by far the tastiest of the two to my tastebuds because just about every one of them has split (none of the SM's have!)

Don't forget any of the details about your tomato crops folks (another reminder!  ;))

Now is hopefully (still!) a good time to ask all tomato growers to make a note of how their different varieties have performed this year, particularly as far as taste and yield are concerned, as I will hopefully resurrect the Home Grown Tomato Survey (probably sometime in October.)
Last year was so poor blight and weather-wise there seemed little point trying to run it.

Sounds good - making notes! :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #396 on: August 22, 2013, 17:15 »
Likewise!

Growster...

« Reply #397 on: August 22, 2013, 17:16 »
Sungold have been absolutely fantastic this year - so far! They're our first try-out, and have such intense flavour and sweetness, that we'll have to grow many, many more next year!

The ourtside ones are of course, a week or so behind which is a bonus.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: August 22, 2013, 18:01 »
I went to water mine and found a few plants with suspect brown slodges on the leaves  :ohmy:

Cut the worst plant out completely and gave the other 2 plants a good hair cut - just fruit and the top few leaves left. I hope that's sorted it

seaside

« Reply #399 on: August 22, 2013, 18:27 »
With 5 different varieties, the inside toms in the smaller pots are now glutting, especially with the bulk of the tumbling tom cherries finishing. Won't bother with them next year though.. a strange taste and almost pinkish colour not to my liking.
I have had a few gardener's delight already, but fortunately the bulk of their produce is still a way off and bringing up the rear, and will help to extend the season and mitigate the glut.

Looks like even the outside sacrificial plums are going to make it this year... they're all slowly turning colour now with blight ouuta-sigtht. :D

Have made a note in next year's seed book that sungold seem to be a bit of a favourite on here.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #400 on: August 22, 2013, 18:29 »
I find them a tad to sweet, as I like my toms to have some tartness to them. So don't plant loads until you've tried them - unless you like sweeties  :D

seaside

« Reply #401 on: August 22, 2013, 19:45 »
I find them a tad to sweet, as I like my toms to have some tartness to them. So don't plant loads until you've tried them - unless you like sweeties  :D

Oh dear Mos, thanks for that report. That sweetness is why I'm not that struck on the tumbling toms. Like you, I also look for the tart in toms.. no point in them else. Back to the drawing board then.
I might have another disappointment to report if the Roma plums don't improve, but I will leave that for the end of season report as they're not quite ready yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #402 on: August 22, 2013, 20:18 »
Don't forget Roma is a cooking tomato, so you'll only get the right taste after they've been cooked  ;)

seaside

« Reply #403 on: August 22, 2013, 20:58 »
Don't forget Roma is a cooking tomato, so you'll only get the right taste after they've been cooked  ;)

Thought it might be... the texture was a bit of a give-away, but I had hoped for a bit more than what I got..  The seeds were given from friends who had some left over from last year. They had never got around to tasting them last year due to the blight, and yesterday we all sort of came to that cooking conclusion, after my taste test.
I really don't see the point in me growing cooking tomatoes, especially out of doors. So that's Roma, tumbling toms and sungold out of the tombola for next year.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #404 on: August 23, 2013, 00:11 »
Really happy with mine this year, so far.  :) The ones in my greenhouse are growing like triffids (can hardly get in the door) and even those outdoors are doing well.  Have a few ripening now (Sungold and Orange Paruche) and I have to say, the Paruche is very nice, like a slightly larger version of Sungold but no splitting.  Will definitely grow these next year and hopefully the price of the seeds will have come down.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
question
How many toms' in an 8x4 GH?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 14:02
by 8doubles
xx
What's up with these toms?

Started by Mike.white on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 10:52
by Mike.white

Page created in 1.411 seconds with 38 queries.