How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Springlands

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2013, 21:33 »
Toms still very green - not a sign of them turning and now the weather has gone downhill.  :(

Green Tom chutney is yum though!

It just might come to that.  :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2013, 21:36 »
Toms still very green - not a sign of them turning and now the weather has gone downhill.  :(

I'm the same Springy :(
The tiny 'gartenperle' are ripening, but anything bigger...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2013, 22:36 »
I've got 3 black russian tomatoes with one fruit between them.  All the others have set okay, but the black russian flowers have just fallen off.

The two outside gardeners delight are starting to turn red and the 100s&1000s are getting going.  Bambino and marmande still green.
Anne

cadalot

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2013, 06:16 »
I have this feeling that there is going to be a lot of green tomato chutney made as the toms that are showing are small and well, green - nothing orange or red at all  :nowink:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2013, 07:24 »
We are only getting odd ones yet the bushes are dripping in flowers and green fruits.

compostqueen

« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2013, 12:41 »
I think we always have this "they won't ripen in time" thing going on but it seems that they generally come good in the end.

Still, just had one ripe tomato so far.  I live in hope. Ever the optimist  :)

I've got plenty of tomatoes on, and some are a good size, but I'm trying to avoid keep checking them. They seem to ripen when they're ignored  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2013, 15:27 »
Can't remember precisely but there's no way my toms are behind where they were this time last year.

Plenty of time for ripening - it's just the every-present worry about the "B" word that might yet make things a bit challenging.

I know a few have already been affected but dare I say that even that problem isn't as widespread as this time last year, and even when some of mine did cop it I managed to ripen most of the fruit indoors.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2013, 21:54 »
I've got a tigerella on the turn - whoooooop!!!

All the rest are determinedly green, but seeing something change colour makes a lot of difference.

compostqueen

« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2013, 22:15 »
Tigerella was first up at our house. The second one looks like it's going to be a Tiger too.  It's like waiting for Christmas  :nowink:

MrsLev

« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2013, 22:20 »
Not well! It's not so much of the lack of red that's bothering me (although obviously it is!) it's the fact that they're tiny compared to previous years and if anything I've been more vigilant with the feed whereas in the past the plants were lucky to get a feed twice over the season! They're turning orange but are just bigger than a Cherry Tom. These Gardeners delight are not delighting me this year!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2013, 08:20 »
Not well! It's not so much of the lack of red that's bothering me (although obviously it is!) it's the fact that they're tiny compared to previous years and if anything I've been more vigilant with the feed whereas in the past the plants were lucky to get a feed twice over the season! They're turning orange but are just bigger than a Cherry Tom. These Gardeners delight are not delighting me this year!
that sounds like my Gardener's delight. Mine are still very green, but I thought this variety were cherry toms. :wacko: Sows how much I know! ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24 »
Gardeners Delight are cherry toms, but not the very small 100s & 1000s type  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26 »
Gardener's Delight are usually described as a cherry tomato, although I don't think anyone has ever bothered defining how big a cherry is!

My neighbour grows GD every year and they're certainly bigger than the last bag of cherries I bought!  ;)

MrsLev

« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37 »
Are they?  :wub: Well I'll stop giving them gip then! I'm sure I grew them the year before last and they were bigger but maybe it was just a fluke mutant strain!

Growster...

« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2013, 08:51 »
Our 'Sungold' have just got into third gear, and tearing away, with eight or nine at each picking (from 10 GH plants in pots).

I'm seriously thinking of going to seven trusses to take a bet on a continuing summer...

The Gardener's delight are swelling up - we've had just one from the GH, but there's an absolute brute of a 'Black Krim', in the hottest corner of the GH which has moved on to heavy bruise colour, and it frightens me to death every time I see it looking at me..;0)

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
ph FOR TOMS

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 22:02
by richyrich7
xx
In toms V out toms.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:53
by superpete

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 38 queries.