How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2013, 13:58 »
It must be that time of year - I did mine over the week-end, removing everything below the first trusses and anything else that was in the way  ::)
I had the first taste of the blue ones, which were horrid  :blink: so they got chopped out completely leaving room for a couple of potted chillis to be brought inside  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2013, 14:23 »
First ripe tomato - a solitary Sungold F1 !   :)

Actually, I'll probably leave it a day or so because I don't remember seeing it on the turn yesterday so it's probably not quite ready yet, but it has beaten the Sweet Million, Inca, and outdoor Red Alert to be the first to deliver a ripe'un.

Sweet Million not far from the apex of the greenhouse now, so I'll be able to stop deploying increasing yardage of green plastic twine in ever more exotic and imaginative loops in favour of some more drastic pruning.

Now is hopefully a good time to ask all tomato growers to make a note of how their different varieties have performed this year, particularly as far as taste and yield are concerned, as I will hopefully resurrect the Home Grown Tomato Survey (probably sometime in October.)
Last year was so poor blight and weather-wise there seemed little point trying to run it.

Link to 2011 survey for those who haven't seen one yet:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85094.msg946636#msg946636
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #197 on: July 29, 2013, 14:28 »
Ate the first of my cherry hanging tomatoes yesterday and also picked 3 of my mini cucumbers.  The tomatoes in the greenhouse will need a real cutting back as I can't get in easily now!  Sweet Million plants are loaded with green ones ready.  Amateur are coming along as well and so are my Italian plum variety.  Can't wait.

Totty

« Reply #198 on: July 29, 2013, 15:09 »
I was at an open garden yesterday and I saw the very thing that Monty was on about. Tomatoes in pots on patios with hardly any compost. So, I know what he was on about. It's what people do and the poor results he got confirmed it to be a bad idea.  He was testing out the various ways that folks grow tomatoes and why they sometimes fail.  I think we all got the message  :)

Initially he said when starting the small pot experiment that he was trying to emulate a very successful commercial grower he had seen grow excellent toms the previous year, in these small, half filled pots. This grower fed his toms every day. Monty has not, therefore a bit of a waste of time.
 I have one sungold in a smaller pot than he was using, and it's getting fed comfrey five days a week, and nettle the other two. It's spindlier than all the other plants grown in large pots or the border, but it was weeks earlier and still doing ok.

Totty

Martin70

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2013, 13:40 »
Picked and ate my first ever tomatoes yesterday! All the hard work has been worth it. I won't grow so many next year as it's too crowded but I wasn't expecting everything to grow 1st time. Should have plenty more to eat soon.

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2013, 14:42 »
Do I detect a faint red tinge on the Cossacks?

It might be my imagination  :tongue2:
Never stop learning

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2013, 16:19 »
Vist the doc if it turns painful  ::)....................................

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2013, 16:37 »
Norty Mum!  :lol:

+++++++++++

Initially he said when starting the small pot experiment that he was trying to emulate a very successful commercial grower he had seen grow excellent toms the previous year, in these small, half filled pots. This grower fed his toms every day. Monty has not, therefore a bit of a waste of time.

Only just caught up with that episode; what a strange experiment - half starving, and starving two tomato plants to see if they grow spindly or very spindly respectively without any food!   ::) :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2013, 16:39 »
He didn't even water the grow bag ones properly cos he got BER if I remember correctly  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2013, 16:45 »
Not quite Mum, it was the tomatoes which got BER!  :tongue2:  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2013, 16:47 »
Your turn for norty  :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2013, 18:41 »
I have about 20 plants of Czechs Bush, a VERY compact bush tomato, mine are no more than2-3ft tall. Meant to yield extremely heavily, first flowers have come out over the last couple of days so hopefully when I come back from holiday end of August I should have some nice ripe fruit.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2013, 21:10 »
I took out a lot of tomato foliage from the growhouses today - with the mesh doors they don't get as hot as a greenhouse, but I can spy a Tigerella on the turn.... :)

I had very itchy hands after messing about with the tomato plants for 10 minutes...

Springlands

« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2013, 21:26 »
Toms still very green - not a sign of them turning and now the weather has gone downhill.  :(

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2013, 21:31 »
Toms still very green - not a sign of them turning and now the weather has gone downhill.  :(

Green Tom chutney is yum though!

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen
question
How many toms' in an 8x4 GH?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 14:02
by 8doubles

Page created in 1.147 seconds with 38 queries.