How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

Totty

Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2013, 09:55 »
Crikey Totty!  That is one mahoosive greenhouse you have there, I'm not surprised it takes a while to water!  Have you considered putting in an irrigation system or even just a soaker hose with a timer?   :)

Yes, I reckon I'll have half of it irrigated by next year. The cost is the drawback as the greenhouse is as wide as it is long!

Totty

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2013, 14:49 »
Lots of lovely gardener's delight here. It's been so worth the wait - just a bit worried that the bulk of them will ripen when we're on holiday. Still, my neighbour has said she'll water them which is great.

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2013, 16:15 »
First ripe minibelle today, shared with the o/h and the youngest, who knew a cherry tomato could go so far!  :D It was lovely though, warm from the sun and it looks like they've all got a wiggle on and are ripening, yum  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

seaside

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2013, 17:16 »
Blossom end rot on two trusses of a greenhouse Roma plum. It doesn't look as if it is a universal problem... must have missed watering it somehow.
First gardener's delight E.T.A. tomorrow morning, first thing.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2013, 17:41 »
I tried the first 100s &1000s, but not quite ready yet, a wee bit tart, but there are 5 or 6 orange ones.  I'm waiting...
Anne

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2013, 19:00 »
My roma have got back bottoms and ive been using a quadgrow that has a 30l water thing at the bottom that goes up to the roots with capillary matting.
Kind Regards
Bill

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2013, 19:07 »
Crikey Totty!  That is one mahoosive greenhouse you have there, I'm not surprised it takes a while to water!  Have you considered putting in an irrigation system or even just a soaker hose with a timer?   :)

And I never thought of growing my tomatoes horizontally either....  :wacko:

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2013, 23:12 »
All 20 plants have toms some big others only just emerging . . .thus morning so excited to see my red alerts changing colour.  Imagine my horror to come home and find the weight has pulled the plant over and the main stem is slightly snapped!!!
Help what do I do now its my best plant??!!!
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

compostqueen

« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2013, 23:16 »
You'll have to put it back into position and support it with string or raffia to take the weight. Hopefully it's not broken

My Tigerellas are still sat sitting, not ripening  :nowink:  Not had a ripe tomato yet. Getting impatient now  :)

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2013, 08:31 »
I put up a support yesterday but the heavy rain last night knocked it over again, the main stem snapped through. I put on my doctors gloves cut it clean off and its now sitting in a vase of water in a cool area of the green house. There is a few toms attached to the part that is still planted. . . Lesson learnt bush toms need support too :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24 »
What a shame ally  :(  Bush toms can get massive and do need to be tied up once the fruit starts appearing.

Mine are getting there, but only had ripe ones from the Latah so far.  I put mesh collars round the tops of their pots to support them and stood them next to a strawberry bed with a small lollipop shaped bay in the centre.  Noticed today, the bay tree has tomato branches appearing from out of it with toms on the ends  ::)  Oh well, they can get on with it  :lol:

Maskotka laden with fruit but still green.

Greenhouse beefsteaks fattening up nicely.  This is Chocolate Cherokee.

Overspill toms in the garden.  Brook's Special nearest (cordon) and Black Seaman behind (bush).

Off to get the string now to tie those Brook's Specials back in  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30 »
These are my Red Alert from last year Ally (I grow them the same way every year.)

Not that clear in this photo, but they are grown in a cold frame (lid off!) with a batten across the top tied to canes which support the main stems - the numerous other stems flop either against or over the sides of the cold frame which helps to support them. I use plastic twine tied to the batten to help those which need additional support.
Red Alert 16-08-2012.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Sue33

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2013, 09:38 »

nope, not a one yet  >:( the ones in the greenhouse are all flowering and the ones at the lottie are just beginning to fruit so another couple of weeks still for me  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55 »
Just picked. Brook's Special. (Got them from Heritage Seed library and had to have them as it's my surname).

They're ugly, hard to pick, (I'll use scissors next time), taste test later.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2013, 10:18 »
I've had seven ripe cherry toms from an unspecified cordon plant. I have no idea what it is but it was from my overwintering experiment using side shoots from last autumn. The plants grew very tall but main stem remaining incredibly thin but there are 3-4 trusses on each plant.

With other tomatoes, trusses forming on Beefsteak,  a couple of Sweet Million producing masses of fruit still green and small. Mazkotkas growing madly and producing fruit but none ripe yet. Zuccheros F1  behaving very very strangely - they are supposed to grow as an indeterminate cheery plum  but seem to be randomly reverting top possible parent types?

Some have turned into wild bushed with prolific numbers of small tomatoes forming. Others are vaguely indeterminate and are very stocky , producing trusses of very chunky green-pepper-shaped tomatoes nowhere near ripe yet.

I am puzzling over these - very interesting!

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
toms

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 21:15
by HuwG
xx
my toms

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 10:22
by Y.E.A.H

Page created in 1.009 seconds with 38 queries.