How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

strider84

• Experienced Member
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31 »
Still a bit concerned about the yellowing of the lower leaves as it is starting to move up the plant and has also developed some brown specs in it?

The plant does not have many flowers on so looks like it might be stunted.... More pics attached fruit that is coming looks ok tho?
_Lat2QYFmi0r6PjcAtdA4RlYU8YJlMz3D4ZY28cZ--Q.jpg
IibaGDaW_QZR6hoIZwu9tNppiEgpTOr2OqFU-3ZIqnk.jpg
JdPxzw0HBnScpvFHOYbuK8PCJxEh_t4Go8-eilh6gZw.jpg
xobltlGH_0Yhw6VY6pZFVT-u5VpDONtY2bt6JXQ0Fio.jpg

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10 »
My youngest (19 mth) has just found out green tom's don't taste the best, even if it was the biggest, GRRRRRRRRR  >:(

I thought you were "growing 4your kids"  :lol: :D I can hear it now, "when they are red darling"....

I am!, but at this rate there'll be nothing for the rest of us  :) she's already attacked most of the strawbs and what pea's we have, little monkey, but i love her  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2013, 09:15 »
Still a bit concerned about the yellowing of the lower leaves as it is starting to move up the plant and has also developed some brown specs in it?

They do this - as the tops grow the old leaves eventually die back.
Just take the yellow leaves off if they bother you.

Debz

« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2013, 14:55 »
Starting to see fruit on several different varieties.  Looking forward to the first ripe ones and eating tomatoes that actually have a flavour unlike shop bought ones.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2013, 09:34 »
First 2 ripe toms from the Latah last night  :D  Would have taken a pic but they were wolfed down, still warm from the sun mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2013, 11:22 »
Still no ripe Tigerellas despite them sitting there for at least a month  :nowink:  I took off some more foliage today, just to let the air get round and reduce some of the tangle somewhat

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2013, 08:26 »
Please excuse my excitement, but, I noticed 2 orange toms on separate minibels this morning, overly made-up  :D :D :D Alicante's have plenty of fattening toms on them and more to come  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2013, 09:55 »
I noticed this morning that some flowers are now tiny fruit.. yep very late I know :D

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2013, 10:11 »
Away for a night down in London with work, and my plants have gone mad!  :D

1 x Brown Berry - in the greenhouse, about 170cm tall, 4 trusses developing toms, one further small truss developing. Time to cut the top off, I think!
4 x Currant sweet pea - in the greenhouse, about 180-200cm tall, have reached the top of the greenhouse, and some have split into multiple fruit bearing branches at the top. Also time to pinch the tops!
2 x Garden peach - in the greenhouse, about 150cm tall, with small toms on both.
1 x Tiny tim - outside the back door against the south-facing wall, still going mad! probably about 100 flowers on it now, and a dozen toms coming. One "branch" is starting to get very long.... do I need to pinch it out so growth is focused on the trusses?
2 x Lemon Plum - in the greenhouse, about 150cm tall, 3-4 trusses of flowers on each one, and some tiny toms developiing.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2013, 15:45 »
I have fruit settling on everything, some larger than others.

I have harvested 5 tomatoes off one of my sweet n'neat plants.

Hopefully more to follow!

H :)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2013, 21:27 »
Plants in greenhouse doing well and looking fit. Outside ones are not so fit and fruits are noticably smaller. The tigrella are going really mad and are throwing trusses which make the yeilds from the likes of Garden Pearl look sparse. The first trusses are fairly normal with nice sized fruits, but the higher trusses are throwing lots of very small fruits. I've just taken about 75% off one of ther upper trusses and still have masses left on as I'd prefer fewer, larger toms.

I'll try to put some piccys on tomorrow.

Totty

« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2013, 22:09 »
Growing better than ever, first sown ones are around seven foot with upto eight trusses, need stopping. Gonna they are loving the weather but watering takes forever.
The Shirley plant that split into two leaders now has two trusses below, and five on each side after it split, if they all did that we would only need half the plants.
Looking forward to the glut, soup recipes at the ready.

Totty
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Auntiemogs

« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2013, 08:19 »
Crikey Totty!  That is one mahoosive greenhouse you have there, I'm not surprised it takes a while to water!  Have you considered putting in an irrigation system or even just a soaker hose with a timer?   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2013, 09:18 »
Still no ripe Tigerellas despite them sitting there for at least a month  :nowink:  I took off some more foliage today, just to let the air get round and reduce some of the tangle somewhat

I know, once you get the fruits on the tomato plants, it seems to tke forever for them to ripen at times doesn't it?  I keep looking at mine, but they are all still green!  :(

Springlands

« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2013, 09:25 »
Toms very slow this year - they have made some progress since the warmer weather but the toms are still just the size of peas - unless we have a prolonged good summer I do not think I will get much of a crop.

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
What to do with my toms now?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 10:39
by mumofstig
xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen

Page created in 0.752 seconds with 38 queries.