How are everyones Toms doing?

• 529 Replies

peedee555

• Experienced Member
Re: How are everyones Toms doing?
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2013, 21:31 »
got four rows of toms two cherry two normal cherry ones are fine but a couple of the normal ones have muliple main stems and are growing straight up any ideas

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #121 on: July 14, 2013, 01:15 »
Thanks for the advice and responses all. I've pruned the plant, making sure to leave leaves above it :)

Totty

« Reply #122 on: July 14, 2013, 08:53 »
I am picking a sungold a day off of the plant grown in a tiny terracotta pot, same as monty was on about a while back. Feeding it everyday with weak comfrey feed, and once a week with nettle juice.
All toms in large pots and greenhouse borders are much bigger, but not as early.

Totty
image.jpg

Beetie

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2013, 19:48 »
Hi everyone. Went up to the allotment today after not making it up for a few days and I was very pleased to see that my tomatoes have set HUGE trusses!! I'm so pleased as this is my first year of growing tomatoes and so far so good!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2013, 21:55 »
I spied my first salad tomato going orange today.
This is our first year of greenhouse growing, and we have more toms than we've ever had before.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Amilo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2013, 22:50 »
My greenhouse money maker are swelling nicely, golf-ball size but still green. about 2 tresses per plant at the moment.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2013, 12:23 »
Update:

1 x Brown Berry - in the greenhouse, about 140cm tall, around 30 flowers and one green tomato, plus several mini pea-sized toms developing
4 x Currant sweet pea - in the greenhouse, about 170cm tall, still very gangly and 3 out of 4 have split at the top - with two tomato-bearing branches at the top. 4-5 trusses on each.
2 x Garden peach - in the greenhouse, about 120cm tall, and still two lots of flowers on each.
1 x Tiny tim - outside the back door against the south-facing wall, still going mad! probably about 60 flowers on it now, and several tiny toms coming.
2 x Lemon Plum - in the greenhouse, about 130cm tall, 2 trusses of flowers on each one, although one plant only has about 5 buds per truss whereas the other has a splitting truss that has 15-20 flowers.

compostqueen

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2013, 12:51 »
Still lots of flowers but no fruits  :(  I'm shaking the plants, spraying the flowers in the mornings, feeding them appropriately, whispering sweet nothings  :nowink:

seaside

« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2013, 16:30 »
Spent half a day at the allotment and saw the colour of the first few changing before my very eyes. Yellow when I arrived, orange when I left.
So I would guess the E.T.A. of my first tomato of the year is Wednesday at 7am.
It's the Tumbling Toms that are heading the field, especially those I have put in pots. I think I might like this variety ... don't take up a lot of room, are easily moved around, are the perfect size ..... oh and one heck of a lot of fruit.
If the taste passes muster, I'll be using them again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2013, 16:42 »
Kibitz has my first ripe ones

Italian Tondino is yellowing, so I guess they'll be next

Purple Ukraine is very green

Maha is setting well

This is the Blue one, Dancing with Smurfs  :lol:

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2013, 16:43 »
My youngest (19 mth) has just found out green tom's don't taste the best, even if it was the biggest, GRRRRRRRRR  >:(
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

cadalot

« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2013, 17:15 »
My youngest (19 mth) has just found out green tom's don't taste the best, even if it was the biggest, GRRRRRRRRR  >:(

I thought you were "growing 4your kids"  :lol: :D I can hear it now, "when they are red darling".... 

pauly58

• Experienced Member
toms
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2013, 21:22 »
hi all my toms ok my my  mate got   four trusse on 3 toms in pots loads of leaves and flowers but no fruit any answers guys and gals
pauly

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2013, 21:27 »
It's usually due to lack of pollination.....try tapping the pots or the canes to help the flowers shed pollen  ;)

cadalot

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2013, 06:29 »
Having to water every day due to them looking a bit sad at the end of each day in this current weather

xx
How are everyones carrots doing??

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 19:55
by Hey Jude
xx
What is everyones favourite seed compost ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 12:42
by Stevens706
xx
Put my toms out

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:22
by Rangerkris
xx
Too many toms?

Started by cabbagehead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 07:06
by cabbagehead

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 38 queries.