Please help two of my batches of chicks cannot stand up any more

• 16 Replies

Amanda1

Yesterday I noticed my three week old chicks look top heavy. Two out of four look top heavy. The other two are still fine. Another batch only one week old are much worse. The chicks are on their haunches and do not seem able to walk. They were fine and running around till now........ Any ideas what is happening.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
What breed are they Amanda?  Were they bred by you or bought in fertile eggs?  What are you feeding them on?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Amanda1

They were hatched by bantams. 4 week old are light Sussex and other are dorking x light Sussex all being fed on chick crumb

ANHBUC

Were the eggs bought in or did you breed them yourself?

Amanda1

From our own eggs. None of the chickens or bantam adults are suffering and neither are 3 month old chicks

ANHBUC

The only things I can think of which can cause it is that the parents might have been too closely related, or the hen is too young (under 1 year old).  I would check the 'Use Before' date on your chick crumb as it does lose its vitamins/minerals over time and a deficiency could be the cause.  Are they getting out into the sunshine which will help them?

You might be best giving your local poultry friendly vet a call to discuss it as they are much more experienced.

Amanda1

You could be right. The light Sussex mother ox one crossed with dorking is one this summer. The others are not related I think. Not 100% sure. May be I should put them out of their misery?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Last year we had 30 turkey poults like that!  So difficult to splint them all.  Luckily the breeders accepted responsibility, and yours are a bit old to suddenly get spraddle leg, but as there are only a few, you could try splinting their legs like they do with spraddle leg.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

don't give up on them yet!  Give them a chance first!

ANHBUC

I have just done that with one of my newly hatched quails.  It was only on overnight and has worked a treat. 

As GA says don't give up on them just yet, not sure what is available but you may be able to give them a boost vitamin wise that might help.

Amanda1

I know what splayed leg is. These can't stand for more than a minute then fall back on their haunches. Then they lie on their sides with legs  straight out? It is as if they have no muscles I their legs

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Awww poor little things.  Well if the deed has to be done Amanda, so be it, but its such a shame when things like this happen.  Fingers crossed XXXXX

Amanda1

Thanks I will let u know later what happens

ANHBUC

You might need to consult a vet in case it is anything contagious.  There is lots of information on THIS SITE

Amanda1

Thank you quick read of book and phoned the vet

ANHBUC

I hope you get some good news and the vet can prescribe something for them.   :)

question
Now she can't stand up...

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 12:52
by Charlie's Chickens
xx
Hen will not stand!

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 08:45
by ehs284
xx
bad hatching, now cannot stand

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2014, 12:33
by Sassy
xx
Cant stand the wait!!!!!!

Started by RigsVilleBird on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 14:16
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 37 queries.