Raspberries

• 2 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« on: June 12, 2013, 13:41 »
Please forgiven me if this particular topic has been previously raised and answered!!

I've recently taken over a new plot. There is a fruit area. Growing Raspberry canes are in evidence. Today, finally, I've been informed these raspberries are of the autumn fruiting type. There certainly is plenty of new growth for this year's crop. But, because last year's canes are still standing and it appears producing new growth. Is it advisable to cut the old canes out and rely on this year's growth only? Or leave both old canes and new growth and crop from both? Will the old canes crop? Or just take-up space and produce nothing in the end? At least now I know the correct pruning procedure to follow. Thanks.   

crh75

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 14:10 »
I would probably take the easy route and leave it until winter to cut all the canes down in one go.  The old crowns, depending on the varienty, may very well produce a few earlier fruit.

fatcat1955

Re: Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 16:54 »
Leave the old cane's and you will get fruit on both them and the new cane's. It is advisable though to cut all the cane's down to about 4ins in the winter.

xx
Raspberries

Started by JackieP on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 18:01
by agapanthus
xx
Raspberries

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 11:02
by debih
question
Raspberries

Started by salmoncolin1 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 17:22
by Riala
xx
Raspberries

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2014, 19:14
by blood

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 36 queries.