cucumbers

• 4 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
cucumbers
« on: June 10, 2013, 22:32 »
I have a number of cucumbers with lots of flowers and some with small cucumbers.  I was confused with guidance re male and female plants and taking some of the plants off.  How often once they have flowers on should I feed them. 

Totty

Re: cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 23:36 »
A simple rule is, whatever type of greenhouse cucumber you have, pich off any flowers that don't have a little fruit behind them.

Totty

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:11 »
It really depends on what variety of cucumber you are growing - some you have to remove the male flowers and some you do not, if you can give details of variety it would help.

Regarding feeding - follow the advice on the product that you are using - for most products it will be at lest once a week. Make sure that when you are watering or feeding that you do not get the leaves or stems wet.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:58 »
As has been said, depends on your variety, whether to remove the flowers.
I have been growing Burpless for last few years and don't need to pick off the male/female flowers, just let the insects pollinate for you.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 13:02 »
I'm growing miniature whites.  The have both male and female flowers and the growing advice for these is to leave the male flowers on for pollination.  Actually, the first flowers started to open last week (male and female, to much excitement on my part!).  Now the male flowers are starting to wither and die.  I'm hoping thats a sign that they've 'done their thing' and are no longer needed.  The female flowers are looking well and the tiny cuke's behind the flowers are starting to swell!  Hooray!  As advised by Totty, I will be giving a weekly half strength feed of Tomato feed, and got some more nettle tea on the go too!

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers going mad!

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 19:06
by jazzbyrd
xx
My cucumbers

Started by Vegswap on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 07:50
by Vegswap
xx
Cucumbers?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 21:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 36 queries.