Absolutely Gutted

• 106 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Absolutely Gutted
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 10:22 »
We have two large wire cages made like that with strong wire. They are more to prevent the badger digging up my corn than anything else.

I think you could knock something up stronger for a few pounds, doesnt have to cost a lot.

Eblana

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24 »
Oh dear you poor thing.  It is so disheartening when things go wrong.  I have had to resow all my kale etc. as well - I was away for a few days and had left someone in charge of watering my PT.  They did a great job of watering the tomatoes etc. but didn't notice that I had a couple of trays of seedlings on the bench that needed watering - came home to find them fried!  I know you are a cat lover but could I suggest that you invest in a water pistol and start making this particular cat feel a little unwelcome in your garden.  As others have said you can sow the netting, also try around some local builders/council to see have they any off cuts of the piping that would be big enough for you to use - if you put canes into it to form the sides you actually don't need a whole lot to create the dome.

Goosegirl

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32 »
I am soooo sorry you have such di-sheartening things happen. It can make you feel someone up there don't love you, but this is my solution for cats. As a cheaper option, I use good thick bamboo canes pushed into the ground opposite each other all along the bed. The desired height and interval depends on the bed length and eventual crop height. Then you need some cheapo garden hose. Cut two pieces of hose about 12" long. Push one end of a piece of hose onto the top of the first upright cane. Insert a new cane into the other end of the hose to make an elbow joint. Repeat process with the other upright cane opposite. You end up with an inverted "I_I" shape. Repeat process with the rest of the canes and you will end up with a tunnel. For extra strength and to stop it sagging, you can use more canes tied along the middle of the horizontal canes that form the tunnel top. Gaily fling your netting over the tunnel and secure sides and ends, then sit back with a large drink! I have four cats and it works for me; badgers I don't have, but would always recommend a good quality netting. You could always use a low "fence" of chicken wire tied to the outside of the canes around the bottom. Secure your net on the inside and you can still lift it off to weed and harvest.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

hubballi

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 14:00 »
I am soooo sorry you have such di-sheartening things happen. It can make you feel someone up there don't love you, but this is my solution for cats. As a cheaper option, I use good thick bamboo canes pushed into the ground opposite each other all along the bed. The desired height and interval depends on the bed length and eventual crop height. Then you need some cheapo garden hose. Cut two pieces of hose about 12" long. Push one end of a piece of hose onto the top of the first upright cane. Insert a new cane into the other end of the hose to make an elbow joint. Repeat process with the other upright cane opposite. You end up with an inverted "I_I" shape. Repeat process with the rest of the canes and you will end up with a tunnel. For extra strength and to stop it sagging, you can use more canes tied along the middle of the horizontal canes that form the tunnel top. Gaily fling your netting over the tunnel and secure sides and ends, then sit back with a large drink! I have four cats and it works for me; badgers I don't have, but would always recommend a good quality netting. You could always use a low "fence" of chicken wire tied to the outside of the canes around the bottom. Secure your net on the inside and you can still lift it off to weed and harvest.

Wow thanks because I just so happen to have an old garden hose doing nothing about to be thrown out. That's brilliant  :)

hubballi

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 17:06 »
I have made a structure from hose and canes but it is still vulnerable to a cat's weight. It also isn't quite the right fit so getting it to touch the ground from all sides is hard. Will onion fly etc go under small gaps ? 

Oh for a bigger garden. I'm pretty sick of coping with a very small space  :(
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 17:07 by hubballi »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 17:28 »
can't you reduce the height by pushing it into the ground a bit more?

and are you on the local allotment lists?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 17:36 »
Yes onion and carrot fly will crawl underneath.  I've just made my cane and debris netting brassica cage, and although it's not to stop onion fly, I have pegged it down all the way around to make sure nothing gets in!

Luckily, we don't have any cats around here anymore.  The last 2 moved last year!  ;)

mrsbean

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 18:31 »
could you not put various size plastic bottles over seedlings upright and cut in half lengthways and old compost bags over exposed soil so cat cant use as toilet. supermarket blue plastic mushroom trays will cover a small area at a time and cat wont squash seeds, and they give them away free. i only suffer rabbits,moles and mice.

barley

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 18:56 »
does the cat just visit at night ?

if so maybe you could cover with large cardboard boxes ( free from supermarket )  as it doesn't matter if it cuts out light as it's dark anyway

hubballi

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 19:21 »
I don't  really want allotment as I like my own space and find it a bit of a distraction having to speak to other folk, especially if I am not up to talking (I suffer depression from time to time which is part of the problem) . I'm not a very social creature really but I like it here of course ;-)

The cat is out at night so slept on it when my wife found it this morning. Their house is up for sale so perhaps the problem will be gone soon. I didn't know that the onion fly went underneath  :mad:

oldman65

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2013, 19:33 »
shake pepper all around the outside of your netting they don,t like it .
i use the orange plastic fencing that is used on road works put round all plants i don,t want next doors three cats on

Beetroot queen

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 19:38 »
I don't  really want allotment as I like my own space and find it a bit of a distraction having to speak to other folk, especially if I am not up to talking (I suffer depression from time to time which is part of the problem) . I'm not a very social creature really but I like it here of course ;-)

The cat is out at night so slept on it when my wife found it this morning. Their house is up for sale so perhaps the problem will be gone soon. I didn't know that the onion fly went underneath  :mad:

It may do you the world of good, and would give you a hide out. I am rather anti social in person but you dont have to talk to people just a wave to acknowledge they are there is often all that is needed. You'd be able to grow so much more.  :)

hubballi

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 19:51 »
I am spending too much time on my own as I work alone from home. Don't mind my own company. There is an allotment down the road but I like to be able to pull from my own garden. I think the waiting list is pretty long too.

salmonking

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 19:59 »
I feel for you. I'm surrounded by cat people who think it's hilarious when their furry, purry, little friends dig up your garden and pee on your plants and lawns. There should be a law brought out top make cat owners more responsible. Owners of other types of pets are responsible for keeping them under control. >:(

I do completely understand why people dislike cats but these threads often end up very heated so best not go down that path. I do have a cat and she is a law unto herself but apart from putting her on a lead and carrying a poop bag around i actually cant do much more.  ;) we love cat posts really  :lol:

this is what annoys me, "best not go down that path" !!!!! why not,its a problem most gardeners face at sometime.ive had it this year as has lots of people in the street.funnily enough it stopped a couple of weeks ago and I haven't seen the 5 cats responsible for a while. im fed up that cat owners can get away with it whilst dog owners pick up after them.yes,i hate cats,what gives them the right to come into my garden and dig everything up?? to me cats are as much of a problem as slug/snails/aphids,just another pest so why cant we talk about them.no doubt this thread will be closed now,so not to upset the cat brigade.

salmonking

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 20:02 »
ive just read back my last post,sounds like ive done something to those cats.........nope I haven't.someone else might of but I haven't.

xx
gutted

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 17:41
by tetley
xx
Gutted

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 12:58
by 8doubles
xx
Gutted

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:03
by corndolly
xx
gutted :-(

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:16
by fekq

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.