Absolutely Gutted

• 106 Replies

hubballi

Re: Absolutely Gutted
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 09:14 »
As I found the cat on the netting which pulled it off it's 100% the cat's claw. Not big holes but wider now than they were. Pulled it by climbing onto it. I have put it back and sprayed with lavender oil and some cat repellent gel around edges for now. As you can see this is my small area to work with. To secure it with the hooks on each  corner is pretty much impossible if a cat is going to climb on it. Even bricks won't hold it.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17 »
No offence to you but any cat would find that tempting, it needs to be tight over the poles. Even my cat would have tried jumping on it as it does look rather comfy.

Just in my opinion others may disagree. Good luck though

hubballi

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 09:21 »
Being tighter over the poles won't stop it, if anything it will be even more appealing because it will be able to use as a hammock.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 09:24 »
Being tighter over the poles won't stop it, if anything it will be even more appealing because it will be able to use as a hammock.

See i dont agree, our cat has never tried to get on our nets that are tight over blue water pipe. The badger well hes a different matter.

Ps blue water pipe often comes up on freecycle too.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:25 »
Is that actually fastened down at all? It looks as though it's just slotted over the poles.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:28 by pdblake »

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:27 »
I've used stronger fleece on my cat lav raised beds, weighed down with stones and an array of garden tools and it's kept the cat off.  It's not scratched any of it up yet. Pigeons will rip cheap fleece I warn you! 

I dug up a weedy bit and raked it a bit and hoped the cat would cack in that bit and leave my beds alone. 

hubballi

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 09:41 »
Is that actually fastened down at all? It looks as though it's just slotted over the poles.

Just placed over poles for now until I can get water pipe. I have no option as I don't want onion fly and other types getting in. I suppose I will have to shell out for some. What width would I need ?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44 »

Just placed over poles for now until I can get water pipe. I have no option as I don't want onion fly and other types getting in. I suppose I will have to shell out for some. What width would I need ?

As far as i can remember we just asked for blue water pipe. They knew the type straight away. Like someone has already said it will come in use for years so it will pay for itself in the end.

I am still sure you could pick up some free

Stree

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 09:47 »
I would build an outer frame out of timber and cover top and sides with chicken wire, lift it off to tend to the crop. It will still let sunshine and  rain through but stop cats etc.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48 »
Put some orange peels on the fleece, Hubballi.  I believe they don't like the smell.  If you can afford a bottle of "Get Off"

cat repellent it would help to protect your bed,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Off-Repellent-Scatter-Crystals/dp/B000LS57O0

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49 »
It comes in 20mm and 25mm width. I have 20mm and can shove part of a bamboo cane up the pipe end to give it a bit more stability. I bought 25m of it initially, but wish that I had bought a larger amount, it's just so useful!

How long the lengths need to be depends on the eventual height of the plants and the width or diagonal of your bed. Obviously you can only cut it once, so thinking about future plantings helps.

I love my pipe domes, and since I pinched the idea from Ice, at least 2 others on my site have started using it in that shape.

hubballi

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55 »
I have some get off gel as I said earlier, i just put some down. I could buy those cheap hula hoops that kids use. That would be cheaper than buying pipe.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59 »
I have some get off gel as I said earlier, i just put some down. I could buy those cheap hula hoops that kids use. That would be cheaper than buying pipe.

I dont know when you last purchased a cheap hula hoop but they aint cheap anymore.  :wacko: you'd be better with water pipe by the time you add it up.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12 »
Amazon have some children's ones quite cheaply.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19 »
hubballi if you get some cheap batons and a few screws ... you can make something like in this picture , all you do to weed is lift it off ....

Back garden 10th June 2012.JPG

xx
Gutted

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 12:58
by 8doubles
xx
Gutted

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:03
by corndolly
xx
gutted :-(

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:16
by fekq
xx
I'm gutted

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:01
by Stevens706

Page created in 1.264 seconds with 38 queries.