Absolutely Gutted

• 106 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Absolutely Gutted
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 13:10 »
A CatWatch has kept the cats away from my bird feeders.  Perhaps you could save up for one, Hubballi.

stainesbloke

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 21:34 »
I don't think water will deter this one. It sits outside and prowls round even when it's bucketing down.

Plus, if it sees you, it's off like greased proverbial before you can get anywhere near it, so getting near enough to use water is not an option.

Yes but have you tried? A jet of water fired from one of those powerful water guns will deter any cat. You could do it from an upstairs window if the cat runs away when it spots u. Seriously, my cat will not go next door for anything now.

hubballi

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 07:01 »
I really feel like just giving up and crying now. This morning after it being secured with pegs, canes on the top, orange peel around, lavender oil over it and cat repellent gel around it I find it has pulled the corner up, flattened part of the top and got inside, left a half eaten sparrow and destroyed yet more young plants (even though I had put a small wire cage over them for added protection) When I went out it was there. My wife also has to feed our 2 cats inside because it pushes in and eats their food. The thing is adamant it is going to destroy my garden as well as every pest known to man. Whatever I do I really feel forces are at work to stop me. The stupid neighbors keep the thing out all night, even in winter so it is part wild. Why have a cat if you don't want to look after if properly ? The thing is they have an outhouse with a tiny hole for it to get through for shelter so why does it want my netting, especially when it lets in rain as it did last night?

So the theory about covering it taught has not worked. Any repellent hasn't worked. What next ?   :mad:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:07 by hubballi »

snow white

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 07:25 »
You will need to build a wooden cage with some batton.  Easy to do even if you are novice at this sort of thing.  And cover it with chicken wire, so it is imperviable.  You will need to peg it firmly to the soil, so the cat can not enter.  Don't let that damn cat get the better of you.  You have the support and help of everyone on the forum' so keep us updated and do not take this cats antics as against you personally.

hubballi

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 07:28 »
You will need to build a wooden cage with some batton.  Easy to do even if you are novice at this sort of thing.  And cover it with chicken wire, so it is imperviable.  You will need to peg it firmly to the soil, so the cat can not enter.  Don't let that damn cat get the better of you.  You have the support and help of everyone on the forum' so keep us updated and do not take this cats antics as against you personally.

No point having chicken wire because the onion fly etc will get through. Not a good week for me as it is as I am pretty much under a black cloud at present but that's another story. Things seem much much bigger in this state of mind believe me. At the moment I cannot face going out there at all because I see all (and only) that is wrong and magnify it in my mind making me worse. The stuff growing (in vain) has pretty much been damaged beyond hope of a good crop as well as the onion sets being soft and hollow because I bought them for 99p at Home and bargain (this season) so at the moment the effort and time does not seem worth it, especially as I am supposed to be working from home and creating. Oh and the good onions I planted out that I bought this weekend have been flattened.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:30 by hubballi »

snow white

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 07:33 »
The chicken wire provides a firm base so that you can put fine mesh (net curtain?) over the top.  The cat can sit on it if he likes and your plants are safe.    Give it a few days and when you are in the right frame of mind, start again.

Jabberwock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 08:36 »
 :( Oh dear Hubballi, you really are having a rotten time at the moment and I do feel for you, but to be honest everyone encounters unwanted interference from wildlife & garden visitors at some point.
For some it is foxes for others it is badgers, pigeons, rabbits, deer.....................I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture ;)
You have been given some excellent advice here and a wealth of ideas that with a little inventiveness could be adapted to your situation, but at the end of the day it is up to you to make it work, try not to take these setbacks personally and instead use them to inspire you to outwit your furry enemy once and for all:lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 08:53 »
At the moment I cannot face going out there at all because I see all (and only) that is wrong and magnify it in my mind making me worse.

I've never suffered with depression Hubb, but I get what you are saying here  :)  Seriously, and like I say I don't know how it is, so shoot me down in flames if I am wrong, but if it makes you worse, maybe time to walk away for a bit and reassess  :unsure:

I know you're not sure, but a rigid frame you can stretch netting over will keep cats off.  When I saw your picture of your set-up I agreed with Beetroot Queen, and thought that will make a cat want to climb on it.  You could pick up timber very cheaply or for free if wander round the neighbourhood and ask builders or anyone who has a skip outside their house, if the blue hose is too expensive.  I love building stuff, even though I am rubbish at it - creating is fun and this is a positive thing you can do to thwart that darn cat  :)

Likewise, I know you do have success with some stuff, so maybe when you feel up to going back out there,  have a bit of time off with the things you struggle with, like radishes and kale and concentrate on the stuff you know works for you.

Hope the black cloud lifts soon  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 09:05 »
Just a thought about rigidity, what about trying to get one or two of the dog cages off freecycle and covering that in your fine mesh?  I was given one a few years back, then offered another 2 which I said no to as we used them for broody chickens, but they may fit your little beds.

You could take the bottom bit off and peg it into the ground

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 09:14 »

So the theory about covering it taught has not worked. Any repellent hasn't worked. What next ?   :mad:

You must sell your house and move to a cat free zone. After all, you must not do anything to stop this sacred cat's right to roam in order to enjoy your own property.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18 »

You must sell your house and move to a cat free zone. After all, you must not do anything to stop this sacred cat's right to roam in order to enjoy your own property.

I dont think hubballi is feeling that great at the moment about the whole experience and i dont think thats helping, however tongue in cheek it maybe.  Yes we all know the cat has been a pain but the damage is now done and a solution that is realistic maybe better.  :nowink:

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 09:49 »

I dont think hubballi is feeling that great at the moment about the whole experience and i dont think thats helping, however tongue in cheek it maybe.  Yes we all know the cat has been a pain but the damage is now done and a solution that is realistic maybe better.  :nowink:
I fully agree.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52 »
So why the sarcasm, which is not going to help Hubbs at all?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

hubballi

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50 »
Just been out and there it was again. Roof squashed down. Give in.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53 »
Just been out and there it was again. Roof squashed down. Give in.

Its obviously found a spot it likes, i think you'll have to try the hose or a bucket of water, it wont kill the cat but it will put it off.  ;)

xx
Gutted

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 12:58
by 8doubles
xx
Gutted

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 22:03
by corndolly
xx
gutted :-(

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:16
by fekq
xx
I'm gutted

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 13:01
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 31 queries.