Area:  NP4 Warning: Near Miss Period

Area:  NP7 Warning: Full Smith Period 

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
Re: Blightwatch 2013
« Reply #108 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07 »
Just had a warning in my area tr15, tr14, and tr16 cornwall full smith period, I was pretty sure last night that spuds had blight they had brown spots with a lighter green halo, it's only just occurred do I chop everything down or spray? I'm erring on chopping it all down they are maincrop Desiree have been in 18 wks and are a good size so think I should just stick with what I have  :(

I'm with vanessa on this one.  With the weather turning wet we all seem to expect a blight.  My desirees are in flower and have had 4 weeks longer in the ground than last year.  Does anyone expect to get a significantly bigger crop by leaving them in?  Before the blight strikes?

Mine are getting chopped down now.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Salmo

« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52 »
Blight sprays are protective. They will stop it spreading but do not kill blight that is there.

The only way sprays are effective is if they are applied before blight gets into the crop. At the first Smiths Period start spraying.

If blight is obvious in the crop without looking too hard it is too late and it is best to cut the tops off. This is when chitted seed is an advantge as it will have bulked up earlier.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2013, 14:05 »
I would only start spraying if there is blight in your part of the country - if your area is clear it seems unnecessary.

That's why it is worth registering with Blightwatch, cos they tell you when blight is in your region.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 14:06 by mumofstig »

Ema

« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2013, 14:41 »
Had a second near miss warning today, weather is terrible. All spuds on the Lottie looked fine last night but will be keeping a close eye on mine and everyone else's.

no blight anywhere near me but I do know a lot of people left spuds in the ground last year at my Lottie.

Will see if lots of warnings pop up by the weekend before thinking of spraying.

Checked on my no-dig spuds and there about half the size I'd like them to be so would love another month.

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2013, 16:20 »
We deffo have blight on our site, I have looked on the potato council site I had registered for updates awhile ago but I tried finding how to report suspected blight and can't find it? But yes we definitely have it I cut mine back last week when I suspected it but now at least four of us have it on our greenhouse toms  >:( I have removed all affected foliage and sprayed them and said a little prayer to the allotment god

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2013, 16:27 »
There is blight down in Cornwell, shown on the charts - so I'm not surprised it's found your site  :(

Good luck with the toms!

Salmo

« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2013, 18:41 »
Had a second near miss warning today, weather is terrible. All spuds on the Lottie looked fine last night but will be keeping a close eye on mine and everyone else's.

no blight anywhere near me but I do know a lot of people left spuds in the ground last year at my Lottie.

Will see if lots of warnings pop up by the weekend before thinking of spraying.

Checked on my no-dig spuds and there about half the size I'd like them to be so would love another month.

If you want any chance of another months growth you will need to start spraying now and again every 14 days, more frequently if the weather is warm and humid i.e. Smiths Period or near miss.

AnneB

« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2013, 06:05 »
Oh! I have just noticed an unwelcome confirmed blob in the York area.

The next Smith period warning and it's spray time here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37 »
Oh dear, more red dots :(

Quite a few more  than the last time I looked - so keep your eyes peeled now!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2013, 18:33 »
Is anyone having problems with the site below? I couldn't access it at all earlier and now despite the page showing "incidents from 1st April 2013 to date" there is also a date below the main page title of "30th April 2012", so I've no idea at all what information the map is showing.  :unsure:

http://www.potato.org.uk/fight-against-blight/blight-incidents
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2013, 19:46 »
It lists all the blight sites below the maps and they're all dated 2013, so I don't think there is a problem  ;)

seaside

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2013, 06:42 »
Three suspected cases in my exact postcode yesterday.  :ohmy:
I couldn't see any signs on our exact site yesterday, but will be up to the plot in an hour for a quick tour of the site and to close the greenhouse door for the next 36 hours, as tomorrow's forecast is not good at all. It would be a shame for some folk who have large outdoor tomato crops, if we get hit this weekend, as from Sunday the weather is set very fair indeed with little to no chance of Smiffys for quite a period. Most potato crops are fairly well advanced though. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:48 by seaside »

xx
Blightwatch

Started by Pescador on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2017, 20:18
by JimB
xx
Blightwatch - here we go!

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:31
by mumofstig
xx
Blightwatch

Started by Plot 1 Problems on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2023, 06:23
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Blightwatch web pages

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 11:54
by DD.

Page created in 1.424 seconds with 38 queries.