What should I be using to fill a new raised bed for veggies please?

• 5 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
Hiya,
I am getting a big raised bed made/delivered this weekend and I am clueless as to what mix I should be filling it with. I want to stay low cost but don't want to waste my time.
I have got quite a bit of garden soil that has small pebbles mix in it, I was thinking of using some of that to bulk it out, then do I put compost? what about well rotted muck? (will this cause weeds? I am thinking what about undigested seeds?)
Suggestions please?
I am guessing the ix depends on what I want to grow???? just a mix of veg, peas, potatoes, leeks, onions...no real plan as yet.

compostqueen

I've just filled several  :)  I excavated the base of the raised bed and broke up the soil. Once fluffed up it began to fill the bed up, then I added last year's spent growbags and as much homemade compost as possible. Well rotted muck would be good but not so good for carrots and parsnips.  If you have some grit sand lying about that could go in. The small pebbles you have could go into the bottom to aid drainage.  Garden soil from elsewhere in the garden could be mixed in but weed through it or you'll have problems later on.  Leaf mould if you have it, or scour the woods and collect some if not, could go in.  Mushroom compost if there's any local and it's free or cheap, contents of the hen house floor in the bottom as it's a bit rich for the top.  If that lot doesn't fill it then you might need to buy a bag of multipurpose or growbags and put some on for the final growing layer as you can sow into that.  I'd press it all down slightly as you go and then again before sowing or planting. 

I like the mostly composted materials raised bed best as the all-soil one dries out like concrete (my husband made that one  :D)  Good luck  :)

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
apart from teh above also knowck in some fish blood and bone or some chicken pellets along with old grow bags . u can also put in at the bottom some old veg peelings , that helps as well....some grass cuttigns also possible

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
Lovely, Thank You for my list.
I am pretty sure I can get hold of everything on the list, it feels like I am making some kind of weird mud pie!
Thanks

compostqueen

It might sound wierd but it's not, it's all bulky organic matter that will be airy and lighter than if you used all soil which will be hard, cold and will bake rock hard in hot weather. It will be moisture retentive though  :D  Just think of it as being like making a cake  :)

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
2nd veg bed was finished today, a big helping or well rotted horse muck has made it moist and rich, its not full so I can add more organic matter later. So excited!
 :)

xx
How to fill a raised bed.....

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 21:03
by SG6
xx
How high to fill my raised bed

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 21:45
by boldondig
xx
What do I fill raised veg beds with?

Started by Foxy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2006, 21:05
by muntjac
xx
new raised beds - what to fill them with????????

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 07:52
by amberleaf

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 28 queries.