Growing celery! First time

• 7 Replies

Claire21

Growing celery! First time
« on: June 05, 2013, 19:24 »
This is my first year of growing celery and it is time to plant out. I have an allotment with carrot, parsnips etc and a greenhouse. I was going to plant my celery in the allotment but unsure whether to because of rumours. I have heard that they are not good near carrots and that they need to be kept well away from slugs. We havnt had any slugs lately but get quite a lot if were not careful. Could i keep my celery in individual pots in the greenhouse? If so how big would the pots need to be?

Thank you for any advice    :D

salmonking

Re: Growing celery! First time
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 20:08 »
I grew it for the first time last year......right next to my carrots! :ohmy: and..........it was fine.didnt have a problem with slugs either. :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 20:13 »
As long as my celery gets a space in the garden and lots of water, it's happy no matter where it grows. Only trouble I've had is a bit from earwigs. Once the plant is hardened off it can deal with cold weather quite easily so no need to keep it in the greenhouse.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 20:15 »
Hi
   I have grown Self blanching Celery for 5yrs with no trouble ,never heard about the carrot thing ,Dig in plenty of well rotted horse manure or compost ,plant at 8ins spacing each way in a block ,inclose them in enviromesh  and keep them well watered (they are a bog plant) .Keep the slugs at bay with pellets .
bazial

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 21:58 »
Just to add that a plot neighbour used empty 1l fruit juice cartons with the top and bottom cut off over her celery plants. The plants quickly grew up and out of the tops of the cartons and absolutely thrived

I'm going to give it a go as it was much easier than my previous method of tying up the stalks into  a bundle using soft string  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 23:39 »
They grow ramrod straight! Well, my self-blanching ones do  :)  They grow far too large to have in pots and they are hardy and won't like being in the greenhouse

Lincolnshire Floyd

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16 »
This is my first year of growing celery and it is time to plant out. I have an allotment with carrot, parsnips etc and a greenhouse. I was going to plant my celery in the allotment but unsure whether to because of rumours. I have heard that they are not good near carrots and that they need to be kept well away from slugs. We havnt had any slugs lately but get quite a lot if were not careful. Could i keep my celery in individual pots in the greenhouse? If so how big would the pots need to be?

Thank you for any advice    :D

They would need to be pretty large pots if you grow them in the greenhouse and the plants can get quite large much larger than the ones you buy in the supermarkets which have been trimmed and made pretty and have probably been grown hydroponically as well so they will be smaller. They will take up a lot of greenhouse space, probably more than you think.
But they are REALLY worth the effort as they taste like a totally different vegetable than the ones in the supermarket. If you keep them well watered as another poster has said they will be crisp and sweet and  you will always want to grow them every year. You don't need to mess about with trenching these days as there are self blanching varieties and white celery is only a fashion anyway because they taste just as good with green stems. But the secret for success is the watering. I grow mine in the lowest part of the garden that always stays a bit damp and even then I water them as much as possible. They will quite happily sit with their roots in water as they are a marsh plant. If I were you I would dig the area out that you intend to plant in to about a spit depth and plant them so that any water you give them does not run off and stays where you want it.
But then with the water you attract the slugs which can be a real pain. This year I am going to use those non poisonous pellets to keep them in check. I don't want to kill my hedgehogs with metaldehyde (sp) poisoned slugs. But even if you do get slugs all is not lost because there are usually a few stalks that they haven't munched and the ones they have you can use for making soup as the brown stains don't matter when they've been well washed and liquidised. I have tubs of celery soup in the freezer made from rejects and you can use the leaves too.

They are not frost hardy and will need covering later on when it gets to that part of the year but if you are only growing a few you will probably have eaten them all by then.

It's a great vegetable. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:19 by Lincolnshire Floyd »

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 15:07 »
Celery will tolerate light frosts and commercial growers wait until the first frost before harvesting. It helps chill the plant and makes storage easier for them.

xx
growing celery

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2017, 20:38
by Mr Dog
xx
growing celery.

Started by richie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 00:39
by aqua
xx
Growing celery

Started by Claire21 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 21:53
by Lincolnshire Floyd
xx
growing celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post December 10, 2020, 19:13
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 28 queries.