Whats the best organic way of dealing with Aphids?

• 31 Replies

Beetroot queen

Re: Whats the best organic way of dealing with Aphids?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 19:49 »
Well the inspection tonight showed the aphids still stuck to the stems and leaves but they ain't moving  :D spray away is what I say.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 20:24 »
If you have ants as well, then put some blobs of jam on the leaves above aphids and the ants will eat the jam then eat the aphids.

Ants do not eat aphids - they actually farm them, and milk them for the sweet substance they excrete
http://www.antark.net/ant-life/ant-feeding/ant-farming.html
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 20:26 by mumofstig »

Beetroot queen

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 20:29 »
If you have ants as well, then put some blobs of jam on the leaves above aphids and the ants will eat the jam then eat the aphids.

Ants do not eat aphids - they actually farm them, and milk them for the sweet substance they excrete
http://www.antark.net/ant-life/ant-feeding/ant-farming.html

I won't waste my jam then

barley

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 20:38 »
I,ve used an old soft paint brush if its just a few stems 

brush them off the plant into a peice of rag and then squish them .... that's the fun part LOL

Beetroot queen

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 20:42 »
I,ve used an old soft paint brush if its just a few stems 

brush them off the plant into a peice of rag and then squish them .... that's the fun part LOL

Too many to try that but the plants didn't seem to object to a soapy shower

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 20:45 »
Another vote for Vitax 2 in 1 here.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

seaside

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 20:51 »
I have had no, I repeat no greenfly in my allotment greenhouse so far as I can tell, and they only appeared on outside rose buds 3 days ago... most unusual. Ants have been seen scouting around on my artichokes but still no farmed blackfly there and no fly on the broad beans... can't be long now.
Last year at this time, greenfly were all over my chillies etc. I use diluted washing up liquid spray. The organic label is rightly something the Soil association jealously guard, but that's their concern and they have a different agenda than me.
Most people do not rinse their washed plates as I was told to by my parents and consequently consume quite a lot of wup liquid residue that happily sits on dried plates. I rarely rinse my plates after washing up and will be one of those folk.
I find diluted washing up liquid very very effective at controlling aphids. It's all a matter of degree for me. I wouldn't dream of putting chemical fertilisers or weed killers near my allotment, but very miserly use of slug pellets and a bit of washing up liquid does me.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 21:00 »
Really true seaside.

I will have to spray my fruit trees as they are covered and I mean covered, curled leaves and more aphids than baubles on my Christmas tree.

Looks like it's going to have a bad effect on fruit this year as those fruits developing look weird and stunted.

mrsbean

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 00:08 »
I soak rhubarb leaves in a covered bucket of water untill the leaves have gone mushy, keep stirring it, but be warned it stinks it could make you heave if you are sensitive to bad smells. works wonders on roses, brassicas. dilute it a little to put in spray gun after you sieve decant into a large bottle..

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31 »
I soak rhubarb leaves in a covered bucket of water untill the leaves have gone mushy, keep stirring it, but be warned it stinks it could make you heave if you are sensitive to bad smells. works wonders on roses, brassicas. dilute it a little to put in spray gun after you sieve decant into a large bottle..

Hhhm,may try that! With peg on nose ! :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 10:20 »
Is the rhubarb tea illegal to use

My French beans are doing great only a few dead aphids left. And they look happy about having had a shower. It was a time consuming job but worth it

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 12:39 »
Yes it's illegal. The rhubarb tea police are on their way to you now. Sit tight and they'll be with you shortly.  You're going to get the book thrown at you m'lady.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46 »
Yes it's illegal. The rhubarb tea police are on their way to you now. Sit tight and they'll be with you shortly.  You're going to get the book thrown at you m'lady.

CQ that's the second time you have made me laugh today.   :lol: of course it wasn't a member on here it was a friend of a friend, round the corner and down the bend  ;)

grinling

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 21:23 »
Didn't explain well... ants milk aphids, but if you place blobs of sugar rich jam (cheap stuff) on the leaves above the aphids, then ants will walk past aphids, eat the jam and then eat the aphids for dessert. This is tried and tested, but if no ants then I use washing up liquid/water as a spray. Another alternative is to soak rhubarb leaves in water for a week and use that to spray.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 13:01 »
Does the rhubarb do any damage to the plants, and is it not poisonous, if you later consume it?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

xx
Dealing with indoor aphids

Started by Hobovore on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 18:59
by rowlandwells
xx
Organic vs Non-Organic growing

Started by Jaybees on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2020, 11:28
by Jaybees
xx
Organic or not organic the truth at last.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 21:29
by Trillium
xx
Aphids and ?

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 09:18
by cawdor2001

Page created in 0.99 seconds with 38 queries.