What are you sowing now?

• 62 Replies

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
Re: What are you sowing now?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 16:38 »
you have all cheered me up as i have had most of the seeds your talking about germinating for the last week or so  :) , just need to find room with all the Brassica's we planted out last week  :blink: , think we might have to go vegetarian towards the end of the season  :tongue2:

Daz
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 16:49 »
is it too late to sow broccoli direct?

If you want calabrese that you eat this Summer/Autumn you might just get away with it.  We're trying a fast growing variety calabrese 'sakura' this year.  I've got into the swing of successionally sowing a small tray every couple of weeks so we shouldn't, in theory, get a glut!  If you want broccoli for next spring then they'll soon have to be sown along with spring cabbages etc...

I am about to plant kohl rabi and parsnips in containers.  I'm hoping the parsnips will catch up as it was so cold in April/May.  We'll see

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 17:35 »
I only just sowed my Autumn calabrese, so not too late  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 17:42 »
So did I  :)

I've got no parsnips germinated at all despite two attempts. Florence fennels are sparse too  >:(

Today I was mostly sowing direct - golden beetroot, Long Red Onion of Florence, Purplette onion, carrots E Nantes, chicory Treviso, coriander leaf, cos lettuce

al78

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 19:11 »
You can get calabrese at Real Seeds (http://www.realseeds.co.uk/broccoli.html) which can be sown as late as mid July.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 19:12 by al78 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 19:25 »
Just remember realseeds minimum order policy
The Minimum Order is £8 including UK postage

..........................................although I do realise how easy it is to spend much more than that  ::)  :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 19:40 »
Now, now Mum, you're not encouraging people to buy more seed are you?  I thought we decided to blame Growster for that?  :tongue2:

Though I was eyeing up the melon seeds on there earlier, wondering if I was too late for a fast growing variety and then I'd have to order some other things to make up the cost.......... :wacko:

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 19:55 »
I've got all of my summer squashes, sweetcorns etc in, but have just sowed some back up courgettes and a couple of pumpkins incase my award winning one dies.  :D
Other than that have started thinking about later on in the year when all of the "exciting" stuff has been harvested and the plot is bare so have sowed a load of swedes, more leeks, chinese cabages and brocolli to hopefully fill the spaces by my bumper summer crop. Will no doubt sow some more cabbages, kale, pak choi when I get a minute for some more planting around the end of july...although I haven't got a clue where I will fit it all!

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 20:25 »
Sowed some salad leaves last Sun and there is germination already!  :)
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 20:31 »
Now, now Mum, you're not encouraging people to buy more seed are you?  I thought we decided to blame Growster for that?  :tongue2:

Though I was eyeing up the melon seeds on there earlier, wondering if I was too late for a fast growing variety and then I'd have to order some other things to make up the cost.......... :wacko:

Oi you!  - It was al78 that put up the realseeds link - I can't take the blame for that   ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 20:48 »
More lettuces (various) including raddichio; french climbing beans; dinky turnips; carrots; salad leaves; more Bigga pea shoots for salad; beetroot; spring onions and more basil and greek oregano  for starters :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 20:49 »
More lettuces (various) including raddichio; french climbing beans; dinky turnips; carrots; salad leaves; more Bigga pea shoots for salad; beetroot; spring onions and more basil and greek oregano  for starters :D

What are dinky turnips.? Not that I have any room but if they are dinky.  :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 20:50 »
Ooh, ooh they've got something called rapini on the real seed website.  Tastes like broccoli, but is a member of the turnip family.  You can plant it midsummer for an Autumn harvest.  I still can't do the linky thing,  :blush: I'm so sorry,  Auntie M did try and tell me but no go. Oh errr,  :unsure: :unsure: I think I might be encouraging seed buying now........  :tongue2: 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 21:26 »

What are dinky turnips.? Not that I have any room but if they are dinky.  :lol:

Purple Top Milan
I harvest them about tennis ball sized - they're nice in soups and stews :)
I've never had much luck with swedes - they tend to be bigger as well. Take up more space.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 21:30 »
I will be direct sowing Borlotti Beans & Shiraz Snow Peas over the next few days, and resowing a tray of Kale for the 3RD TIME! Must get more light to them, they just keep stretching falling over and dying.

xx
sensible sowing

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 23:12
by mashauk
xx
Sowing now

Started by christokes87 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 19:31
by mumofstig
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 20:19
by hightide
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RosieMay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 12:37
by Sid

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 37 queries.