Is Laburnum poisonous to chickens?

• 7 Replies

moomintroll

Is Laburnum poisonous to chickens?
« on: June 03, 2013, 17:13 »
Hi all

I have a Laburnum tree in my garden above one of my coops runs. For some reason it hasn't flowered for the last 4 or 5 years, and we thought it was maybe dying off. But I noticed yesterday the long spike flowers beginning to appear. I just wondered if it is safe or not as something makes me think it's poisonous

Thanks  :)

Prod

Re: Is Laburnum poisonous to chickens?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 17:40 »
Most animals/birds seem to have an instinctive awareness of poisonous plants however the seeds of the Laburnam tree are poisonous to humans and to poultry. Whilst it would take a serious dose to affect a human it would obviously take fewer to affect a chicken.

Quote from an article on poisonous plants:

'Contains cytisine, a quinolizidine alkaloid whose effects are often described as being very similar to nicotine. It seems, however, that it is not nearly as strong a poison as nicotine. 

Laburnum anagyroides, common laburnum

All parts of the tree are poisonous: roots, bark, wood, leaves, flower-buds, petals, and seedpods. The harmful part of the plant is the seedpods which are mistaken by children for peapods, usually after they have been shown how to eat fresh raw peas straight from the plant in the vegetable garden.

In many cases of ingestion of a small number of seeds there are no symptoms. Where symptoms do occur these are usually nausea and vomiting. Higher doses can produce intense sleepiness, convulsive possibly tetanic movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. '

If you ever go to Alnwick they have a fantastic garden open to the public and there is a 'Poisonous Plants' section.  You would be surprised to see what everyday plants are classed as poisonous!!

Quotation from HERE 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 17:56 by ANHBUC »

moomintroll

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 18:53 »
Hi Prod,
thanks for your info. I'm not sure whether to upload everything (2 coops and large runs) to a different area of garden. Big job to do this and other areas of garden have yews etc. or whether the covered runs will be ok?

Believe it or not, and i'm ashamed to say it  :ohmy:  but I live 8 miles out of Alnwick and it is my nearest town, and i've never been to The Alnwick Garden yet!  :ohmy:   I really should make an effort lol

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 20:35 »
We had a laburnum tree in our garden when we moved here 17 years ago.  It was fine as our girls were old enough to know not to eat the seeds.  Then one of our neighbours had grandchildren who visited regularly so we decided to take the tree down and plant a berberis in its place.  The wild birds love the berries in winter so it was a good compromise.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:15 »
That  is a shame as they really are a beautiful tree.  If you can ever get to Bodnant Gardens in North Wales they have a Laburnum Arch with is about 50/60mtrs long and when it flowers in May/June it is absolutely spectactular..........  sorry  I digressed :wub: :wub:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25 »
Unfortunately ours was overhanging a neighbours garden.  The previous owners had really overplanted and we had to take out a willow tree and three young silver birch trees that were planted within 10 feet of the house!   ::) We still have plenty of trees and mature shrubs most of which flower.   :)

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 17:44 »
http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/laburnum_anagyroides.htm

This gives a balanced view.

I can find no record of hens being killed by laburnum, indeed there are records of ill/vomiting children (the seeds are sweet), but no confirmed deaths.

Some people smoke the leaves or seeds  and the one confirmed cystine death seems due to drinking a concentrated seed-tea with the hope of getting high.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 19:08 by ANHBUC »

moomintroll

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 13:49 »
Thanks all for your replies. I did see my cockerel Max pick the odd laburnum leaf up in Autumn and promptly spit it straight back out lol. I will keep the covers on the runs that the chicks are in until after seeds have dropped  :)

xx
Are these poisonous to chickens?

Started by birmancats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 19:26
by Junie
xx
Poisonous plants for chickens

Started by Polly757 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 20:45
by Vember
xx
Is this tree poisonous for chickens run

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 12:10
by mollie15
xx
Chickens and poisonous plants.

Started by Butterfly on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 08:21
by Sassy

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 37 queries.