Beans???

• 38 Replies

Flowertot

Re: Beans???
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 21:52 »
I am growing Blue Lake for the first time.  I have also heard good things about Cherokee.  Is Cosse Violette one of the purple ones which magically turn green when you cook them?  My kids LOVE magic and it may encourage veg eating  ::)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 22:20 »
Yes, that's right. They're a very good variety, colour makes them easier to pick, very robust plants and very good croppers.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 22:20 »
I am growing Blue Lake for the first time.  I have also heard good things about Cherokee.  Is Cosse Violette one of the purple ones which magically turn green when you cook them?  My kids LOVE magic and it may encourage veg eating  ::)
Yes Cosse Violette is one of the purple ones that turn green when cooked.  Auntie M is very naughty for encouraging people to buy more seed  ;) :lol:.  She will have to go on the norty step with Growster who started a kohl rabi planting craze. We can call MOS to adjudicate, but I still blame Growster for all of it  :tongue2:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 22:28 »
Forgot, I've got blue lake too.  About 27 plants, we'll have to see how they go!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 22:43 »
Yes Cosse Violette is one of the purple ones that turn green when cooked.  Auntie M is very naughty for encouraging people to buy more seed  ;) :lol:.  She will have to go on the norty step with Growster who started a kohl rabi planting craze. We can call MOS to adjudicate, but I still blame Growster for all of it  :tongue2:
I'm blaming Grannie too, she did put a link up!   ;)  And as for Growster - now have nearly 40 kohlrabi pricked out and in the greenhouse (who'da thunk so many would germinate?).  When I run out of space I shall post them to him! ::) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 22:57 »
It wasn't me that started it, it was her!!     :lol: :lol: :lol:

Auntiemogs

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 23:17 »
It wasn't me that started it, it was her!!     :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think we can come to an amicable solution Grannie, and blame Growster.   :D  Maxibo is right, he did start it and we're far too trusting to have been lead astray like this (plus he isn't here to defend himself  ;)).  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 23:31 »
Okay, I'm happy with that!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

seadart

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12 »
Is anyone else having trouble with their beans this year?

We transplanted ours to the plot and they started turning yellowish. We have both runners and dwarf and both are affected. It's a new (to us ) plot and we do not know what was in this bed before.

Looking around other plots it seems it's happening to a few others, could it be because the whole site was virtually under water for about a month last year?

Can we give them a feed to give them a boost or bin these and plant some more?

Thanks in advance
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

bravemurphy

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 07:58 »
A dose of Epsom salt should sort them out.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 08:03 »
It's been pretty chilly overnight, could that be affecting things like the runners???

I've not been to check my runners or peas since Sunday morning!

I ordered some of the slenderette last night, the ones that change colour on cooking sound fun but I've only space for a few, maybe next year ;)

Hannah :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06 »
I agree, a lot of the problem is the weather - beans like it warm and it's been as low as 8C this week and that reading was taken inside the greenhouse   :ohmy: They won't like that at all :(

Willow_Warren

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 08:10 »
It was only about 7°C in the shed this morning at 6.30am ish, so I imagine it was colder than that a couple of hours previous as the sun had been up for a while by then!

Souldn't complaint too much though, at least the sun is shining :)

I've a second batch of runner beans if the first batch shiver to death!!! (tempted to start off a few extra of the first batch variety)

Godhelm

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31 »
This year I am growing Minidor and Purple Queen (both dwarf and from Bakker - got them last year and there were far more than I needed!), and also Cobra (climbing). Minidor and Purple Queen didn't do brilliantly in my raised bed at home last year, but they got a bit overcrowded by tomatoes grown in the same bed (though I have now read that you should avoid having beans and tomatoes together).
I much prefer French beans to runners, but I'm also growing some Polestar to keep the other half happy!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 14:16 »
It was only about 7°C in the shed this morning at 6.30am ish, so I imagine it was colder than that a couple of hours previous as the sun had been up for a while by then!

Souldn't complaint too much though, at least the sun is shining :)

I've a second batch of runner beans if the first batch shiver to death!!! (tempted to start off a few extra of the first batch variety)

Actually, the min/max thermometer in my tunnel recorded a low of 5.5 degrees last night :) Nonetheless, all my tender stuff is planted outside and looking very well, not even so much as a curled leaf on a tomato plant. It's very bizarre weather.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 38 queries.