Toms outside

• 26 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Toms outside
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 22:01 »
Our overnight temps are fine now and forecast to stay that way for at least the next couple of weeks, so I left everything standing outside overnight for the last couple of days of last week, and this weekend I took the plunge and planted out everything - French and runner beans, squash, courgette, tomatoes, plus cucumber, melon, aubergine, sweet and chilli peppers in my tunnel. I've been putting this stuff in and out every day for weeks now, much longer hardening off than I normally do, and they all look really good and strong. I've got fruit on my squash and courgette plants and I'll be picking courgettes by the end of this week (Parthenon). And the tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, cucumbers, even melons have all got flowers on too. It's the best my tender stuff has ever looked on planting out, so this lousy spring might just have turned me into a convert for keeping them in a bit longer.

Trouble is, if you don't have a heated greenhouse, it's very difficult to keep bringing a lot of plants in and out every day for any length of time, and when the plants are getting bigger it takes up an awful lot of space. My utility room has been stuffed with plants and littered with bits of compost for weeks.

What I have struggled with this year is peas (but not mange tout) and potatoes. I've sown the peas 3 times now and the germination rates have been very poor, and the early spuds are still like little toy mini spuds 14 weeks after planting.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 23:30 »
I grew loads this year as a second timer growing toms... far too many. I have 23 (about 20 varieties) planted directly in the ground and today I planted out another 29 (about 15 varieties) outside in the plot. They have been in the cold gh for weeks now and recently been sitting outside in my garden hardening off for over a week now so hopefully will be ok.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Kirpi

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14 »
I took a couple of MoneyMaker off the allotment Free-for-Anyone shelf down to my plot yesterday. They had been sitting outside for about a week, so they will be my scouts for whether I would try outside toms on my plot in future.

I have visions of them developing some nasty disease or catching blight, but nothing ventured ...

(and they are nowhere near my or anyone else's potatoes.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 08:22 »
I've planted some of mine out now, the overnight temps are forecast to be 6°C but they are going to have to just cope with, they are too large - don't even fit into the cold frame anymore!

The next lot will go out this coming weekend, and the last batch the week after.

Peppers are still staying inside, they are smaller so ok at the moment.

Hannah :)

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:12 »
i put mine out last week they aare not impressed

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41 »
I'd have thought that anything that is going out should go out now with a week of warm weather ahead

I put the lot out over the weekend  - sweet corn, squash, courgettes, beans

Summer is here

Beetroot queen

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 10:43 »
I'd have thought that anything that is going out should go out now with a week of warm weather ahead

I put the lot out over the weekend  - sweet corn, squash, courgettes, beans

Summer is here

Don't speak too soon.  ::)

Buddleja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 12:26 »
I've put some moneymaker outside cos didn't have enough space indoors for them any more. That was two weeks ago and they seem to be doing okay.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 22:57 »
I'm frightened to leave mine out  :ohmy:

I've been hardening off half of my plants (15-20ish) for the past week or so but they need to go to the plot soon so I can get the rest hardening off.  I only have a small back yard with limited sun at home

I have a greenhouse on the plot but about quarter of the glass is missing so not much of a help to keep the heat in - it's been getting down to 6°C and I thought it would be too chilly for my girls but hearing some people already have them out I'm tempted to take a few over... but then I am further north than many people... oh I can't decide!  guess I'm going to be doing the tomato shuffle for a while yet!  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 08:52 »
Hubby is going to rotavate tonight as it's dads plot, so we are weeding, digging, rotavating, and planting as we go.
They will go into dads plot. Getting exciting now as the plt is finally starting to look like a plot well a small part of it is.  ::)

grendel

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 09:54 »
I have had 6 plants out in the garden for a few weeks now, sunday I moved the pots of tomatoes out of the greenhouse shelves as they were getting too big, the rest of the plants (mostly cabbage sprouts and broccoli) lost their greenhouse covers last night, as they were getting a bit warm during the day (35 deg) and a couple had secummed to the heat and wilted.
potted tomatoes may just head for the plot later.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 10:01 »
I've tried a variety called 'Oregon Spring' this year.  They are supposed to be tolerant to the cold (not to frost obviously).  I put them out about mid May and fleeced them at night.  They started to look a bit bedraggled but that was due to the high winds of a couple of weeks ago rather than the cold.  So I slotted a cut pop bottle over each plant (just the middle section, top and bottom used for slug traps) and they perked right up.  Covers off now its sunny and less windy, they are looking good, for now  :blink:

xx
help with toms please

Started by foster75 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 12:39
by GillyHen
xx
my toms

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 13:16
by mumofstig
xx
Put my toms out

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:22
by Rangerkris
question
How many toms' in an 8x4 GH?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 14:02
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.628 seconds with 36 queries.