Shrinking allotment syndrome strikes again

• 23 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Shrinking allotment syndrome strikes again
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:19 »
I had a plan, a seed list, it all fitted together like a dream.  Planted out loads of stuff yesterday and its that time of year again.  The plot has shrunk  :ohmy: 

Must have.  I mean, what other explanation is there.  I have more plants to go out, a fistful of seed packets I still want to sow and suddenly there doesn't seem to be room  ???   :nowink:  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Shrinking allotment syndrome strikes again
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:39 »
Mine's the same - it must be all the rain  ::)  :lol:
Then the new spuds are no-where near ready to come up and leave space for other stuff, which doesn't help, nor are the peas  :dry:

In reality It's all those seed packets I bought after I made the plan that are causing the problem  ::)
It's all Growsters fault - all this talk of celeriac and Kohl rabi, oh and yours, this new-to-me lettucy thing - what's-it-called  :unsure: Tokyo Bekana, that's it...........and then there's the stuff from the seed parcel  :ohmy:

Some serious decisions are called for  :wacko:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47 »
Vertical gardening, I am still on one  :lol:

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 15:39 »
Mine's the same - it must be all the rain  ::)  :lol:
Then the new spuds are no-where near ready to come up and leave space for other stuff, which doesn't help, nor are the peas  :dry:

In reality It's all those seed packets I bought after I made the plan that are causing the problem  ::)
It's all Growsters fault - all this talk of celeriac and Kohl rabi, oh and yours, this new-to-me lettucy thing - what's-it-called  :unsure: Tokyo Bekana, that's it...........and then there's the stuff from the seed parcel  :ohmy:

Some serious decisions are called for  :wacko:

Yes, lets blame Growster, I've had to buy kohl rabi seeds too. Auntie Mogs hasn't helped either  ;)  :lol:.  What's this new lettuce thing?  Is this something I need to know about?  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 15:50 »
Well, New shoot mentioned it, and I read this and thought it was worth a go  :blush:
http://happyfood-funnyfarm.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/tokyo-bekana-step-above-lettuce.html

I got my seeds here
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/garden-shop/seeds/vegetables-oriental/tokyo-bekana-250-oriental-vegetable-seeds

but there's no way I'm encouraging you buy more seeds........I don't want the blame  :blink:  :lol:

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 19:12 »
In my case it's mostly down to my inability to count.   I have allowed room for 20 runner beans on the frame at 2 per cane.

So why have I got 55 runner seedlings in my greenhouse :blink:  I cant expand the frame, and there's no room for a second frame

I can give some away, but I will still have to throw some perfectly good plants in the compost bin and I hate doing that.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 20:09 »
but there's no way I'm encouraging you buy more seeds........I don't want the blame  :blink:  :lol:

No you just blamed me and Growster instead  :ohmy:  :nowink:  :lol:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 20:11 »
In my case it's mostly down to my inability to count.   I have allowed room for 20 runner beans on the frame at 2 per cane.

So why have I got 55 runner seedlings in my greenhouse :blink:  I cant expand the frame, and there's no room for a second frame

I can give some away, but I will still have to throw some perfectly good plants in the compost bin and I hate doing that.

After the rubbish year I have had with runners I would stick 3 to a cane just incase. I can't believe my luck this year.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 20:47 »

No you just blamed me and Growster instead  :ohmy:  :nowink:  :lol:
Oooh very interesting salad leaf.  Never got on very well with salad leaves, I don't know why.  May give these a try along with the failsafe marrrowfat peas stuffed in a tub for shoots.  Anyway, I still blame Growster  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 21:32 »
Just been out to the greenhouse to check I had shut the door - I had  ::) - and picked a Tokyo Bekana leaf to try. Its crunchy and you can tell it is a mustard green as it has that tang, but very mild and sweet leaf  :)

Mine are growing away so hoping for a decent crop  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 21:41 »
Thanks for the review ;)
I liked the idea of a sweeter leaf to grow over winter as well , cos I found some of the mustards I grew were too hot to eat raw.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 22:08 »
 ???....resisting the urge.....to click....on the 'interesting salad leaf link'......aarrgghh  :tongue2:

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21 »
my plot is a new one and its a funny shape when i measured it i did it from the big end ( which is 3 times wider than the small end ) as you can imagine it shrunk very quickly ha ha

Beetroot queen

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 10:29 »
my plot is a new one and its a funny shape when i measured it i did it from the big end ( which is 3 times wider than the small end ) as you can imagine it shrunk very quickly ha ha

If it's a council plot I would get them t remark the boundaries as ours grew a bit when we asked because ours was a weird shape.

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 10:37 »
we are a new society (only got permission for the land last august sowe have all been busy marking out the plots ) whats worse is i new it was bigger at one end .....not complaining its huge just felt a bit silly now i got lots of reorganising of where everything going to go  :blink:

xx
Shrinking Pumpkins! Advice needed pls

Started by NiceGuyNik on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 20:40
by BillinPA
xx
What hapens if blight strikes?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 20:50
by mumofstig
xx
Leek moth strikes again

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 19:04
by Plot22
xx
Disaster strikes - slipped a disc!

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 13:44
by chris23005

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 38 queries.