Chickens digging huge holes

• 9 Replies

eggbertina

Chickens digging huge holes
« on: June 01, 2013, 22:23 »
We have a covered run of 9 sq.mts., 3 chickens and 1 bantam.  Run is set 2 ft. into ground.  We cover the soil with a deep layer of NedzBed and poo pick every day.  The set-up is a year old and recently the chickens have become dedicated excavating machines, digging almost to the base at sides, which we have to re-fill every day.  The run is generally very dry, but can get wet round the edges when it rains and I guess they're finding worms and bugs there.  It's distracting them so much they aren't eating their pellet rations and egg production has really dropped.  Chickens themselves are very healthy and lively - just very busy digging!  We have a pecking block and hang greens to distract them, to not much effect.  It's becoming a bit of a nightmare.  Any suggestions please?

compostqueen

Re: Chickens digging huge holes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 22:50 »
They dig!  It's their natural behaviour. They scrat about looking for grubs, insects, worms etc. They also like to have roll about in soil as it helps keep them cool. They will flick soil all over themselves til they're practically buried in it.  It's what chooks do so you just have to go with the flow.  They will still need their layers rations and plenty of water, grit and regular supply of greens  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 22:57 »
Definitely no point filling a hole in they dig as they will think you have put something in the hole and dig it up again!   ::) :lol:

Are you sure they are not eating the NedzBedz?  I lost 2 birds this year due to them eating it and them having a blocked gizzard.  I now only have it in their nest box to minimise the risk.

Could the lack of eggs be down to their age?  Many hybrids only lay for a few years as they are such good layers they run out of eggs sooner than pure breeds.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 17:27 »
My run looks like the Somme as my girls have excavated so much! I tend to leave it alone (apart from poop picking and a bit of freshening up with Stalosan/Biodri and wood shavings from time to time) as ANHBUC is right - they are very quick to dig the holes again. I do have to check that they are not trying to tunnel out  :D

I am thinking of putting them in a moveable run during the day on my soon-to-be veg patch as they are so good at turning over the soil into a fine tilth and getting rid of weeds (adding manure as they go!). It will save me a bit of digging!  :D

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 21:31 »
Do you provide grit and oyster shell. I put mine in seperate clay pots secured with camping pegs.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37 »
Our 9 are free range (hectares available) and have pellets, corn and grits. They still dig huge holes in the most inconvenient places - like just in front of the garage! But.. you try digging a hole. Turn your back for 5 minutes and they've filled it in again. It seems to be something they enjoy.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:30 »
I had a boomerang come up through  a hole the chooks had dug the other day :lol:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

eggbertina

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 21:15 »
Thank you all for your comments.  Looks like life is just going to be, well ... holey!!  But I am concerned about their eating - or apparent lack of.
Just to respond to a few points.
Grinling - Yes - they do have a pot of grit (sorry forgot to mention that).
ANHBUC - They are pure breeds - not hybrids and are only one year old.  One (Buff Sussex) has gone broody at the moment, so I can understand the lack of eggs from her.  But that still leaves 2 (a Light Sussex and an Appenzeller) not laying.  Only the RIR is laying.
ANHBUC - Yes - they do eat some of the NedzBed - especially when it's fresh - but I think that's because it probably still has some seeds in it.  Might try miscanthus or something like that.
Elvira - Yes - I use Stalosan too to keep the run disinfected.  It's good stuff.

So - the holes we are going to have to get used to.  But I can't get used to them not eating their pellets.  They used to clear out their food bowls every day (as well as treats of greens and kibbled corn), but now hardly touch them.  They used to be very good layers too!!  I know pure breeds can have times of not laying, but .. times of not eating?? :unsure:

Well I guess they must be finding something to eat down in the ground, because they certainly aren't short of energy!!

Thanks everyone .....

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08 »
The NedzBedz shouldn't have seeds in it so they are just eating the bedding and this can kill them.   :(  It blocks their gizzard as it swells up when they drink so they probably feel full.  Any food they do eat stays in their crop and they tend to drink a lot.  They don't show signs of being unwell until it is too late so better to treat asap.  For my 2 birds it was too late.  Check if their crop is full on a night and empty on a morning which it should be.  If it isn't I would treat them for a blockage, even if this is not the cause the treatment will not harm them.  Feed them live maggots (a handful each day for a few days) which will hopefully eat their way through the blockage.

If this is not the cause it could be that they are eating a lot less due to not laying.  If you have a broody in the same coop as the others that can stop them laying.

Their layers pellets should be available all day for them and not measured out as they don't tend to overeat.  I would stop feeding them any treats which can also affect their appetite as they will fill up on them and not eat the layers pellets.

Let us know who you get on.   :)

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10 »
Their layers intake may well reduce at this time of the year. There will be more natural things to eat and they do not need food to keep warm, however, this is usually off-set by the need for food in order to lay. I'm sure they will settle down and re-start. Definitely agree to stop feeding them anything except layers for now :)

xx
Huge holes omg..............

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 19:31
by poultrygeist
xx
digging holes

Started by chicken newby on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 19:55
by littlewitch
xx
huge egg

Started by taximan on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 20:54
by Pol
xx
Huge Egg

Started by digga666 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 21:25
by digga666

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 36 queries.