Growing tom's Monty's new way

• 52 Replies

solway cropper

Re: Growing tom's Monty's new way
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 22:48 »
Whether or not Monty's method is an improvement on what most of us are doing is only part of the point. It was a television programme and television programmes are supposed to be entertainment. Having twice been a participant in TV news items that lasted no more than 30 seconds and took hours to shoot I'm well aware that things are not always as they seem!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 23:13 »
Whether or not Monty's method is an improvement on what most of us are doing is only part of the point. It was a television programme and television programmes are supposed to be entertainment. Having twice been a participant in TV news items that lasted no more than 30 seconds and took hours to shoot I'm well aware that things are not always as they seem!

ditto and he bet he has help in the garden too theres only me 2 allotments and a garden. my small cherry toms will go in tubs at home for convinience and the bush outdoor type will go on the lotty for drying cooking ect in the soil.

Another interesting point Bob Flowerdew recommends taking out the main leader early on to encourage fruiting sooner and less of a glut all at once. now thats more radical.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 23:26 »
About using Terracotta pots...

Plastic heats up far too much as the sun hits it it is thin and plastic absorbs the rays ant transfers it straight away immediately to the soil in the pot so it "sweats" ... just gets too hot and cooks the roots and dries out. Terracotta absorbs the rays and dissipates slowly.. Also absorbs moisture so soil stays wetter longer than plastic. 

In Zimbabwe, all our orchids and bonsais (we had over 500) and really for most pot plant we used asbestos cement pots for the same reason.

My view on the GW show is that anything will grow if fed and watered religiously.. Nothing new - he was just highlighting the system of growing in pots with limited compost.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 23:26 »
Another interesting point Bob Flowerdew recommends taking out the main leader early on to encourage fruiting sooner and less of a glut all at once. now thats more radical.

Pinching out the tip of a tomato, to encourage earlier fruit, umm, certainly radical. And you would get less glut, but also less tomatoes. Not a fan of his 'radical' ideas.

Totty

Salmo

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24 »

Pinching out the tip of a tomato, to encourage earlier fruit, umm, certainly radical. And you would get less glut, but also less tomatoes. Not a fan of his 'radical' ideas.

Totty

If you have lots of plants then you can just take the tips out of some of them, which will fruit earlier. You can do the same with runner beans.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29 »
You can also give a glut away to friends and neighbours. Never had anyone refuse a homegrown tom yet.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31 »
All very interesting, but I'll stick to my usual method because it works well and gives me good crops. As someone said earlier, if it ain't broken...
 :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38 »
Continuing the thread, what sort of yields do people get from say, Gardeners delight?

Outdoors, and are there any tips you would advise?
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 17:20 »
in a good year more than the family can eat in daily salads
In a bad year - very few  :( it's impossible to generalise.

If you get a Blight warning either cover with polycover of some kind, to keep the spores off,  or spray with protective fungicide
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/en/data/Products/f/Fruit-and-Vegetable-Disease-Control.aspx

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 19:24 »
About using Terracotta pots...

Plastic heats up far too much as the sun hits it it is thin and plastic absorbs the rays ant transfers it straight away immediately to the soil in the pot so it "sweats" ... just gets too hot and cooks the roots and dries out. Terracotta absorbs the rays and dissipates slowly.. Also absorbs moisture so soil stays wetter longer than plastic. 

In Zimbabwe, all our orchids and bonsais (we had over 500) and really for most pot plant we used asbestos cement pots for the same reason.

My view on the GW show is that anything will grow if fed and watered religiously.. Nothing new - he was just highlighting the system of growing in pots with limited compost..

I read about Richard Sandford separately before he appeared on GW in the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9508417/The-Michelin-starred-chef-who-is-gardening-to-fight-cancer.html).  He switched to growing his own veg his way to fend off cancer, he ditched all plastic for gardening - he even used wooden seed trays, so hence the terracotta pots.

I was impressed with this guy to be honest (his gardening theory - I don't know if he is having conventional treatment for his prostate cancer).  He made a lot of sense generally about growing.  I have always wondered about whether plants like tomatoes benefit from being root bound (in the same way other plants like figs benefit) by producing more fruits from being stressed effectively?

I am sure we will see the results on GW later this year.  It might be good to see a successful Monty experiment(!)  :wub:
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

gavinjconway

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 20:21 »
You can also give a glut away to friends and neighbours. Never had anyone refuse a homegrown tom yet.

Nooooo... don't give them away - freeze them whole... they keep really well.

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 20:38 »
If you are really lucky and also plant LOADS of plants (was it DD that had 100's?! :ohmy:) you will have enough for salads, make tom sauce which will freeze well, chopped toms freeze well too.  Also, if you have lots of toms that don't ripen then the green tomato chutney recipe on here is FABULOUS!  It's how I got addicted to this site years ago, waaaaaay before we got our lottie  :D

gavinjconway

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 09:13 »
If you are really lucky and also plant LOADS of plants (was it DD that had 100's?! :ohmy:) you will have enough for salads, make tom sauce which will freeze well, chopped toms freeze well too.  Also, if you have lots of toms that don't ripen then the green tomato chutney recipe on here is FABULOUS!  It's how I got addicted to this site years ago, waaaaaay before we got our lottie  :D

You got it totally right there maxibo ...  :)

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 09:17 »

I do freeze some. I usually take off the skins and half them. Is just freezing them whole a better way of doing it?

snowdrops

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18 »

That brought a memory back for me,my Dad used to freeze them whole,the first time my Sister & I saw them in the freezer we thought they looked & sounded like snooker balls. It made us laugh & we still do. dad used to play snooker as well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Should I try growing leeks Monty's way?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 13:55
by gillie
xx
Monty that's old hat

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post April 10, 2019, 07:44
by Growster...
xx
Monty said you can eat rhubarb now

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 06:59
by Growster...
xx
Monty's parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2018, 16:29
by mikem

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 30 queries.