Comfrey / Nettle tea

• 28 Replies

Yana

Comfrey / Nettle tea
« on: May 30, 2013, 15:39 »
Hi all
I've managed to set up two water butts that I plan to use for 'stewing' comfrey and nettle tea, respectively.
I know that you stew the leaves in a mesh bag for a while (two weeks?) then remove the bag and dilute the liquid in a ratio of stewed tea concentrate : water of 1:10. Am I ok so far?
Is now the time to collect the nettles and comfrey leaves? I've got access to nettles but they have seeds on them so can't use these? The comfrey is starting to flower so will need to avoid those as well I guess.
I want to use the tea's on fruit mainly.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Beetroot queen

Re: Comfrey / Nettle tea
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 15:48 »
I don't always water mine down but it got to be fairly weak as I only pick ten leaves per blue water butt still stinks to high heaven though. With nettles I only pick the fresh growth, not sure why I just don't want a bit a local dog has peed on.

Yana

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 15:53 »
I don't always water mine down but it got to be fairly weak as I only pick ten leaves per blue water butt still stinks to high heaven though. With nettles I only pick the fresh growth, not sure why I just don't want a bit a local dog has peed on.
Hi BQ
My butts ( :D) are only 110L so are they half your size? Do you put the leaves in a mesh bag of some sort so that you can take it out when it has stewed? And do you fill the butt after it has stewed.
Sorry for so many questions, I want to start some off and you are providing great info.
Don't mind the smell as  the fruit plot is right at the far end of the lottie.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 16:51 »
You can't set a specific ratio for dilution, and stick to it rigidly whatever comes, because you have no way of knowing the particular strength of the concentrate.

As BQ says, it needs to be the colour of weak tea.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 16:59 »
I just used to bung the leaves in loose, when it stinks and makes you gag I call that ready.  ;)

Now Florence has outgrown her winter tights I have chopped the legs off and used them to fill with leaves. Hehe I figured that should keep the slimy leaves I one place. Sometimes I top up with extra water, sometimes leaves. Once you have made it and experience the stink you won't forget believe me you'll know when it's ready.  :lol:

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 17:04 »
I was planning to do this with nettles (and a few other weeds?) to feed our potatoes. But I was assuming I'd need to harvets loads. Is that not true?
Never stop learning

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 17:09 »
I was planning to do this with nettles (and a few other weeds?) to feed our potatoes. But I was assuming I'd need to harvets loads. Is that not true?

Steve
I don't ever harvest loads like I said 10 or so leaves and they produce a powerful smell, any stronger and the neighbours would be calling environmental health  :unsure:

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 17:40 »
Well that's cheered me up, as I slashed most of our nettles a week or so ago before I'd thought of making them into tea!  8)

Yana

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 18:09 »
Great stuff, thanks.
I know where I can get enough of both comfrey and nettle so will brew both independently and see what happens...... Hope it isn't eviction from the lottie!  :lol:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 19:22 »
Hi Yana - why wast energy on having 2 different "Teas" - Just throw all them leaves all into a butt, half fill with water, wait 3 weeks and when it is smelly its ready. Just keep topping up with the water and leaves.. 

I load mine about 1/2 full of leaves and fill the butt up with water.. dilute it a bit in a can and just use it everywhere that likes it. Diluted to a weak tea colour.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Jackypam

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 19:59 »
I was following that fine until the last post. " water everything that likes it".  Now I'm stuck. How do I know what likes it?!!

gavinjconway

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 20:45 »
I was following that fine until the last post. " water everything that likes it".  Now I'm stuck. How do I know what likes it?!!

Generally anything fruiting or flowering loves it. Tomatoes, potatoes, strawbs, runners, beans etc..

See the article here written by John Harrison the site owner.
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/comfrey/

Jackypam

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 20:49 »
Thanks - better get on with making some for the soft fruit and broad beans then.  Not asparagus I suppose. What can I give that?

Yana

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 22:34 »
Hi Yana - why wast energy on having 2 different "Teas" - Just throw all them leaves all into a butt, half fill with water, wait 3 weeks and when it is smelly its ready. Just keep topping up with the water and leaves.. 

I load mine about 1/2 full of leaves and fill the butt up with water.. dilute it a bit in a can and just use it everywhere that likes it. Diluted to a weak tea colour..
Oh ok Gavin. I thought I had to do them separately.
Don't you put the leaves in something to make getting them out easier? If not, isn't is a nasty job to get them out by hand?

gavinjconway

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 22:59 »
Yana - At the end of the season you can drain it all out and tip it onto a bed... then dont go back for a few days.. !!

Seriously thats what I do but I wash the waste sludge so all the smell dissipates within a day. Oh I forgot to say I have a ball of chicken wire tied around/onto the inside part of the tap to stop it clogging with the leaves and sludge.. I back-flow water occasionally to clear it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 23:02 by gavinjconway »

xx
Does comfrey/nettle tea go off?

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 12:02
by cadalot
xx
Nettle and Comfrey Tea

Started by spider on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 14:39
by spider
xx
Water butt for comfrey/nettle tea

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 17:39
by moose
xx
Comfrey / Nettle Tea and Homemade Potash

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2014, 05:55
by diospyros

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 38 queries.