digging my allotment

• 9 Replies

alan/gill

digging my allotment
« on: May 28, 2013, 22:14 »
when i dig my plot as normal the soil is usually in large lumps (hope you understand what im saying) so does anyone have any good tips for thining the soil ,some  say sock the soil then break it down with a hoe,any ideas ?

snowdrops

Re: digging my allotment
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 22:20 »
Give a bash with the back of a large fork. If winter dug leave for the frosts to break down.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 22:24 »
Sounds like you have a clay soil.

It might be worth you reading up about dealing with clay soils:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=620#section3

Personally, if you have started to dig your plot, leave the clods to dry out a little and then wack them with the back of a fork/blade of a spade to break them up.  You can then rake the smaller lumps into a tilth for planting.  This time of year, this is pretty much the only option.  Most recommend digging before winter comes so the winter weather breaks down the lumps, but I assume you didn't have this option.  Others recommend adding lime to help - but this can alter the acidity of your soil - not great for all crops.

If this seems impossible, draw a planting trench for whatever seed you want to sow and fill with compost before sowing your seed (covering with the compost).  This will help the seed be more drained and stop it rotting off (another issue with clay).

I prefer no dig methods and, having tried dig and no dig cultivation over the last three years, feel this is the better option for me to tackle both the clay and couch grass infestation.  I use a process called lasagne gardening.  You can see the results on my diary showing my new plots (link in my signature) or look on Youtube for videos showing the concept.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 22:26 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40 »
Hi Alan and Gill - They are called "Sods" of earth. It happens to all of us. I dig in the autumn or winter if possible or very early spring when the ground is not frozen... Leave it to over winter and it breaks it down nicely. Add some manure when digging it helps the soil and crops. In Spring when the ground starts warming up all it needs is a light forking over and it is ready to plant.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51 »
I think you'll find it does inprove over time & a bit of elbow grease!

This year I've dug some parts of my veg patch that haven't been utilised for at least 2 years (possibly never as I don't know the history of the patch) and those have been soooo hard with dig with large "clumps" of earth requiring a lot of bashing.  However when I move onto a bit that's been used the last year of so the difference is amazing, fork slides in and the earth and it just breaks up!

H

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:55 »
I let the clods dry out a bit and then give them a proper bashing with a rake or fork. I'm on clay over here, and it's coming up in huge wet lumps. In the autumn (health allowing) I will be turning it over again and adding heaps of manure to over-winter, and then turning again in Spring. Going on the beds I did this for last year, this is enough to make a HUGE difference.

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:07 »
Agree with all the above advice - I've got very heavy clay soil that stays damp most of the winter and we rarely get frosts.  But I put in raised beds and having been basically doing the 'no dig' method and adding as much organic matter as possible.  Compost (not always completely rotted down), paper, grass cuttings as mulch, used compost from pots - and can really see the difference in the beds where I've been doing this. A couple of beds that got a little neglected have huge clods of clay that need broken up with spade or fork. Have a think about raised beds - I don't think I'd still have the allotment if I hadn't put them in.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:29 »
Hitting the clods/sods will break them at the time, however I have found the soil simply reforms lumps. You need to change the nature of the soil a bit in your beds.

I have found that simply adding what is best described as just about anything helps. Have dug in used compost from container grown plant/veg, manure, bark chips, composted bark, sand, fine gravel. Have not gone and bought stuff with the sole purpose of adding just left over bits and used material.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 13:44 »
In winter ( e.g. now) my clay soil forms big wet heavy sods, that don't break down under any frost.
In summer it sets and forms dry sods the size of bricks - and about as hard. 
But just for a couple of weeks in Spring it can be dug, and falls apart into crumbs.

So you might find the time of year will change everything.   Oh, and 10 years of digging in tons of organic stuff.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 13:46 »
In winter ( e.g. now) my clay soil forms big wet heavy sods, that don't break down under any frost.
In summer it sets and forms dry sods the size of bricks - and about as hard. 
But just for a couple of weeks in Spring it can be dug, and falls apart into crumbs.

So you might find the time of year will change everything.   Oh, and 10 years of digging in tons of organic stuff.

Gauging the clod/crumb timeline is tricksy though! Blink and you miss it!

xx
Digging over allotment with the weather the way it is ?

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 22:28
by Yorkie
xx
Help with digging please?

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 21:51
by Elcie
xx
my way digging

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 21:48
by 3759allen
xx
Been digging

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 21:04
by The Thin Blue Line

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 37 queries.